Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Where to get fitted for golf irons.

Options
  • 02-10-2019 7:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi just looking for recommendations on where to get fitted for golf irons. I live in the west but travel isn't really a big issue I currently play off 12.
    Golfstyle is the obvious choice but heard iffy stories about getting fitted there.Anyone got any personnel experience.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Dbu

Goldenfred wrote: »
    Hi just looking for recommendations on where to get fitted for golf irons. I live in the west but travel isn't really a big issue I currently play off 12.
    Golfstyle is the obvious choice but heard iffy stories about getting fitted there.Anyone got any personnel experience.

Take a trip to Cork
    Drive Golf performance. Padraig Dooley
    Gentleman and a great fitter
    No affiliation, just a happy customer

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Got fitted in foregolf 7 weeks ago and I have to say it was definitely worth the 2 hour drive from Galway. No pressure to buy although I did and haven't looked back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭moycullen14

Dbu wrote: »
    Take a trip to Cork
    Drive Golf performance. Padraig Dooley
    Gentleman and a great fitter
    No affiliation, just a happy customer
    +1

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Goldenfred

Thanks guys, if u don't mind what did u end up buying in foregolf. I hear it can end up being a costly day out when u add up shafts etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭rickis tache

Irons I got were mizuno jpx 919 forged 6 to pw with 1/2inch longer shafts kps stiff. Use hybrids for 4 and 5 got taylor made M6. Irons cost 800.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭TheRoomWrecker

+1 for foregolf, I have got a whole bag pretty much from them,
    leave no stone unturned and no pressure to buy (although the results may make you)

its an investment in your game....or so I tell myself :D

Irons I got were mizuno jpx 919 forged 6 to pw with 1/2inch longer shafts kps stiff. Use hybrids for 4 and 5 got taylor made M6. Irons cost 800.

Sounds a great deal I'll look into it thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Webbs

I went for driver fitting at Birr Golf club and had an excellent experience, outdoor range with trackman and looked like a great range of irons there as well.

Has anyone ever got fitted for clubs in Golftek in Tuam, Co. Galway.
    He makes the clubs on site using Orka and Wishon component parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

Goldenfred wrote: »
    Has anyone ever got fitted for clubs in Golftek in Tuam, Co. Galway.
    He makes the clubs on site using Orka and Wishon component parts.

+1 for Golftek and Kevin.

Totally different experience to a Shop fitting... I think it as the difference of getting a suit off the rack and getting a few altercations or going to a tailor who spends the time on you.

Got my old set tested and they where way off. Swing weights varied from 2.7 to 1.1, Shafts said Regular and were nearly all Seniors, only one degree between my 5 and 6.Got fitted with new shafts and grips... Got the lies adjusted as much as the cast set would go.

Waiting for the COVID to finish to buy a set (Shafts and grips can be reused easily).

Very reasonable in prices and you are building a set of clubs... I like the look at
    https://wishongolf.com/designs/iron-sets/new-565mc-forged-irons/...
    565mc.png

Orka's look incredibly nice as well and I wouldn't loose sleep buying them.

I am reading Tom Wishon's book and I am hooked... It is an interesting view of golf clubs.

Kevin is a lovely guy and very generous with his time. I spent over 2 hours with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭kod12

Wonder how long it will be until the custom fitting shops are allowed back open. Talk online already that no manufacturers will be launching new product this year and try to sell the remainder off next year

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭CowboyTed

kod12 wrote: »
      Wonder how long it will be until the custom fitting shops are allowed back open. Talk online already that no manufacturers will be launching new product this year and try to sell the remainder off next year

Two Questions:

Club Makers/Fitters will be open for club testing and repair very soon. Phase 1 maybe...

As for fitting itself, technically they can do it if they keep the 2m social distancing.

There is an issue, for forged irons, the forges in China I think are still closed (were a couple of weeks ago). That could be the reason for new stock especially for club fitters who use more forged irons.

Advertisement