Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

[Advice please] Investment account for my son

• 07-10-2019 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭

My son is 3 months old, I'm looking to start putting away 10 to 20 euro a week for his future. What are some good vehicles for this kind of long term investment?

I'm thinking of doing a standard investment fund portfolio, with the 60/40 equities/bonds, but who is the best supplier to go with? Also, is there any government incentives that I can benefit from, like pension contributions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Xios wrote: »
    My son is 3 months old, I'm looking to start putting away 10 to 20 euro a week for his future. What are some good vehicles for this kind of long term investment?

I'm thinking of doing a standard investment fund portfolio, with the 60/40 equities/bonds, but who is the best supplier to go with? Also, is there any government incentives that I can benefit from, like pension contributions?

No incentive. Annoying tax laws regarding etfs (deemed disposal every 8 years). DEGIRO cheapest broker

Tbh buying prize bonds in his or her name would be my go to approach. Or leave it in a regular saver account.

10-20 euro a month is no good for investing in the market as you'll get swallowed up by comissions

I strongly recommend prize bonds or a regular saver account.

You'd need to be investing a couple of hundred in the markets each month to make it worthwhile, others may disagree

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Xios

10-20 euro a month is no good for investing in the market as you'll get swallowed up by comissions

I strongly recommend prize bonds or a regular saver account.

You'd need to be investing a couple of hundred in the markets each month to make it worthwhile, others may disagree

It'll be 40-80 a month. So maybe I'll use Degiro and buy every second month.

It'll be 40-80 a month. So maybe I'll use Degiro and buy every second month.

Even at every second month say 160euro still wouldn't be worth it in my opinion - it'd be too hard to get your 60/40 allocation right.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

on a side note, if you were to invest in crypto currency (ie. Bitcoin) and use kraken, then the fees there are % based on the amount invested, afaik its 0.26% so even with a small amount you'll only pay a tiny fraction of a commission

• Advertisement

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    on a side note, if you were to invest in crypto currency (ie. Bitcoin) and use kraken, then the fees there are % based on the amount invested, afaik its 0.26% so even with a small amount you'll only pay a tiny fraction of a commission

Very risky advice to a novice investor

• Registered Users Posts: 5,833 ✭✭✭daheff

dont do this

imo crypto is a gamble.... only look at it if you cam afford to lose everything.

daheff wrote: »
    dont do this

imo crypto is a gamble.... only look at it if you cam afford to lose everything.

Seconded

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭Xios

Won't be going the crypto route, been there, don't that.
    I'll look into prize bonds Vs other traditional savings systems, like Irish Life funds, or I might use either my Degiro account or my Revolut account to buy equities, maybe split between prize bonds and stocks/shares.

Although revolut is very limited, as in it is only shares, not ETFs or other financial products. But hey, no transaction fees.

Won't be going the crypto route, been there, don't that.
    I'll look into prize bonds Vs other traditional savings systems, like Irish Life funds, or I might use either my Degiro account or my Revolut account to buy equities, maybe split between prize bonds and stocks/shares.

Although revolut is very limited, as in it is only shares, not ETFs or other financial products. But hey, no transaction fees.

At the low amounts my advice would be a regular saver account

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

DeGiro have a list of commission free ETFs. https://www.degiro.ie/data/pdf/ie/commission-free-etfs-list.pdf

Some of them are cheap and fit in to your monthly budget or not far off. E.g. IE00B3XXRP09 is an S&P500 ETF and costs only about €50 a pop.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

You don't invest in currencies, you speculate - there is no intrinsic value in a currency.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,981 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

DeGiro have a list of commission free ETFs. https://www.degiro.ie/data/pdf/ie/commission-free-etfs-list.pdf

Some of them are cheap and fit in to your monthly budget or not far off. E.g. IE00B3XXRP09 is an S&P500 ETF and costs only about €50 a pop.

So about 10% of his investment each year.....

Advertisement