Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Non-Alcoholic Beer

• 18-08-2018 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭

Can anyone recommend a non-alcoholic beer that doesn't taste like soapy water?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭wonga77

The Heineken 0.0 is the best of them I think. Erdinger is quite popular too but it's only alright imo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Stanford

Thanks, I've tasted Erdinger 0.5% and its extremely malty, will try the Heineken 0.0%

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭oakshade

The Heineken 0% is unreal. Best of the unleaded beers IMO :)

""unleaded beers""....thanks but I'll stick to the non-alcoholic..........!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,404 ✭✭✭wonga77

The Heineken one has been a massive success, only launched a few months ago but sold out of stock in the early summer. Carlsberg do a non alcoholic too but I haven't tried it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Got a small can of the Heineken one in with a box of regular bottles. It was actually decent enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

oakshade wrote: »
    The Heineken 0% is unreal. Best of the unleaded beers IMO :)

Definitely, served cold it’s near indistinguishable from regular beer.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Heineken is probably the best of the 0.0% options; Nanny State probably the best of the 0.5% options.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Baltika 0 is very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I've been on a bit of a mission over the summer, with the good weather, to try out a few different non-alcoholic beers.

First off, I can't stand Erdinger - sugary, cloudy muck.

Heineken Zero - not bad, needs food to carry it.

Carlsberg 0% - actually one of the better na beers. Just watch out for the smaller bottles, a little sleight of hand to make them appear cheaper than Heineken Zero. Stick two in a pint glass and you are sorted. I would recommend this one.

Guinness Pure Brew lager - just tried this the once, slightly more hoppy than the others, would possibly appeal to craft beer drinkers. Very nice.

And finally, there's one from Salzburg in Austria, can't think of its name, but it's ok. Somewhat similar to Erdinger.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Pubs absolutely ride you for the Heineken one for some reason but it's easily the best of the lot. I always found the Erdinger one of the most disgusting things I ever tasted, I'd nearly rather a Kaliber.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,360 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I had the worst headache of my life after two bottles of the Erdinger a few years ago. Absolute poison.

As others have said, the Heineken is probably the most drinkable I've come across. The Guinness Pure Brew is also tasty (in a very different way, there's a distinct citrus note to it) but just bear in mind it's 0.5% as opposed to the 0.05 of the Heino. Meaningless in most scenarios but important if the person drinking it is a recovering alcoholic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

Tom Dunne wrote: »

And finally, there's one from Salzburg in Austria, can't think of its name, but it's ok. Somewhat similar to Erdinger.

That's the Stiegl.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    And finally, there's one from Salzburg in Austria, can't think of its name, but it's ok.
    Stiegl Freibier.

Thanks Folks, I'll try the Heineken, I've also tried Paulaner but its vile..!!

Stanford wrote: »
    Thanks Folks, I'll try the Heineken, I've also tried Paulaner but its vile..!!

The Heineken was €6 for 6 small tubes last time I got an online order from Tesco a few weeks ago a grand price to try a few. I think long neck bottles were €6 for 4.

€6 for 4 longnecks is the quoted price but my local doesn't have it in stock, maybe Dunnes.....

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=295710307

I never tried to get the bottles delivered as they're the same size. These were in stock though.

https://m.tesco.ie/mt/www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=295710175

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Is there any that are on draught in a pub environment..???

Recent close call with the breatheliser could convince me to move to alcohol free beers if caught up in a round in the local again

Masala wrote: »

Recent close call with the breatheliser could convince me to move to alcohol free beers if caught up in a round in the local again

Not sure on draught but one of my local spots charge nearly seven quid for a long neck of the Heineken.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Patww79 wrote: »
    Not sure on draught but one of my local spots charge nearly seven quid for a long neck of the Heineken.

€7 fir a bottle ... that's criminal.

I be moving to a Cidona with ice in a pint glass then.... it will at least look like a Bulmers in disguise

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Masala wrote: »

I saw Heineken Zero in a hotel bar in Carlingford recently.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Have to disagree with the majority on the Heineken, tasted like watered down Heineken to me, the typical soapy water non-alcoholic beer taste.

Now you dashed all my hopes!!!

Stanford wrote: »
    Now you dashed all my hopes!!!

None of will be the same but I really found it the best of a bad lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Plus one on the Guinness low alcohol beer.
    Its a very nice beer imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭sgthighway

I have tried the Heineken Zero and think it is great but I have noticed a big difference in prices. Some pubs are charging the same price as the original Heineken but some are over a euro cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,403 ✭✭✭Harika

sgthighway wrote: »
    I have tried the Heineken Zero and think it is great but I have noticed a big difference in prices. Some pubs are charging the same price as the original Heineken but some are over a euro cheaper.

I think it is very similar to real Heineken as I even get the headache from it in both versions, alcoholic and non alcoholic. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,759 ✭✭✭dzilla

Heineken 0 appearing on draught in the last week or so in a few pubs i have been int. It is a self contained unit mounted on the counter top that accepts a small keg. I think they cannot keg it through existing lines due to the fear of yeast reacting with it or something from dirty lines I was told before. Its a bit of a game changer for designated drivers, i feel like i drink a long neck in about 4 gulps but a pint ice cold i can mull over for a while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I honestly coudn't think of anything worse than paying a fortune for a ****ty NA version Heineken - i'd rather just have water or cordial or something.

To those worried about how it looks etc - who the fu(k cares what others think - if you dont want a beer or cant etc then fair enough.

*edit - obviously loosing a limb or the outbreak of war are a little bit worse..

Advertisement