Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Week 5 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

I'm sure no one is interested, but why are denver passing from inside their 10 up 17. They could actually just punt on 2nd down and I'd be happy.

Fair enough rivers threw a stupid pick, but it is a worrying play calling mentality.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,407 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

😆😆 oh Green Bay thank you.

I'm sure no one is interested, but why are denver passing from inside their 10 up 17. They could actually just punt on 2nd down and I'd be happy.

So much for my punting idea. Still throwing deep inside our own half.... 17-0 up, 4 called passes. Maybe ep seconds on that drive, capped with a punt return for a td. It feels inevitable.

... and that in a nutshell is why this team is 0-4. Hold brings back a huge play. Bogged down behind schedule at 1st and 15.....takes a sack out of field goal range..... Or at least to make it very difficult.

Wow, Dallas get a huge break, with the fumble wiped out by a false start... Rewarded for a penalty.

Then Prescott throws an interception i t he end one, seems like the refs will try everything to keep dallas in this game... Lets see the call....

• Advertisement

Denver with the win. Made it much harder than it should have been.

Flacco looked good in first half, and Lindsey deserves to be on a better team.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

... and that in a nutshell is why this team is 0-4. Hold brings back a huge play. Bogged down behind schedule at 1st and 15.....takes a sack out of field goal range..... Or at least to make it very difficult.

Bit too pessimistic MHG - Fangio put on a defensive masterclass today

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

3rd pick of the night for GB

Bit too pessimistic MHG - Fangio put on a defensive masterclass today

The defense was great today, and it still was nearly not enough.

I'm happy to let fangio and staff see out year and go again next year. We in a tough spot as to whether we retool or rebuild though. I'm still not on board with a full rebuild... Could easily be 2-3 or better.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

That roughing the passer was one of the worst I've seen, made worse as he took off for a run straight after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Colts causing a major shock atm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Colts causing a major shock atm

Is it that much of a shock though? Chiefs have been hyped up all through the off season but their margin of victory in the previous two weeks, against the Ravens and the Lions, neither of whom are exactly Super Bowl calibre in my opinion, have not been very convincing. Mahomes does spectacular things and it's fun to watch but he's not perfect either, and the defense are not terribly convincing. For a team with real Super Bowl aspirations, I think they've some improving to do, and their performances this year so far haven't persuaded me they are more than a good playoff side.

Is it that much of a shock though? Chiefs have been hyped up all through the off season but their margin of victory in the previous two weeks, against the Ravens and the Lions, neither of whom are exactly Super Bowl calibre in my opinion, have not been very convincing. Mahomes does spectacular things and it's fun to watch but he's not perfect either, and the defense are not terribly convincing. For a team with real Super Bowl aspirations, I think they've some improving to do, and their performances this year so far haven't persuaded me they are more than a good playoff side.

If you start throwing around that type of performance charge then there is no team right now that has 'real Super Bowl aspirations'. Every team has a loss or haven't been exactly convincing when facing decent opponents.

In the only game against a non dire team, the obvious #1 favourite Patriots struggled against the Bills, who would fall into your not exactly Super Bowl caliber definition.

The only other undefeated team are the 49ers and, even as an extremely optimistic fan, they will have a fight to make the playoffs.

Foxtrol wrote: »
    If you start throwing around that type of performance charge then there is no team right now that has 'real Super Bowl aspirations'. Every team has a loss or haven't been exactly convincing when facing decent opponents.

In the only game against a non dire team, the obvious #1 favourite Patriots struggled against the Bills, who would fall into your not exactly Super Bowl caliber definition.

The only other undefeated team are the 49ers and, even as an extremely optimistic fan, they will have a fight to make the playoffs.

None of which invalidates my point that the Chiefs losing that game is not a major shock, given they struggled to put away the Lions a week earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,479 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

The Patriots showed the whole league last year how to shut down Mahomes. Lions made a good attempt at it, Colts did a better job and won the game.

None of which invalidates my point that the Chiefs losing that game is not a major shock, given they struggled to put away the Lions a week earlier.

It invalidates your point that they don't look to have 'real Super Bowl aspirations' due to previous performances, as expanding on your logic no team currently makes that cut.

If you want to play down past performances based on opponents, the Colts before last night had played teams that currently stand with a combined 8-12 record, having lost to the Chargers and Raiders (who the Chiefs beat by 18 points) and barely got passed the Titans and Falcons, by a combined 5 points margin in those victories. None of which I hope meet your 'Super Bowl calibre' teams.

Colts were a 10.5 point underdog and every person (including yourself) in this thread picks chose the Chiefs. Sure, the Chiefs had their issues and didn't look unstoppable prior to last night but trying to make out that them losing yesterday isn't a shock is absolute pure revisionism.

It invalidates your point that they don't look to have 'real Super Bowl aspirations' .
    I didn't say that, i said "For a team with real Super Bowl aspirations, I think they've some improving to do".

That means (and I shouldn't have to spell this out) they DO have real super bowl aspirations, not that they don't.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to be so confrontational though, it's just an observation that the chiefs are overhyped right now. It shouldn't be a major shock that a team with super bowl ambitions lost to a pretty good team.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Christy42

eagle eye wrote: »
    The Patriots showed the whole league last year how to shut down Mahomes. Lions made a good attempt at it, Colts did a better job and won the game.

You know he is good when 3 Tds, 31 points or 300+ yards and 34 points from your offense constitutes getting shut down. Neither the Pats nor the Lions managed to shut down Mahomes properly, they were just able to match him with their own offenses.

This is nonsense. The Colts are the first team to give it a good go and even then they just about held their endzone cleanish as they gave away 300+ air yards to Mahomes.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,407 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

The niners could be 4-0 for the first time since I think 1990(open to correction on that date) and at week 5 sitting nicely atop the NFC west.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Christy42 wrote: »
    You know he is good when 3 Tds, 31 points or 300+ yards and 34 points from your offense constitutes getting shut down. Neither the Pats nor the Lions managed to shut down Mahomes properly, they were just able to match him with their own offenses.

This is nonsense. The Colts are the first team to give it a good go and even then they just about held their endzone cleanish as they gave away 300+ air yards to Mahomes.

Yeah I wouldnt really call giving up 70+ points over 2 games shutting someone down!

• Advertisement

I didn't say that, i said "For a team with real Super Bowl aspirations, I think they've some improving to do".

That means (and I shouldn't have to spell this out) they DO have real super bowl aspirations, not that they don't.

I'm not sure why you felt the need to be so confrontational though, it's just an observation that the chiefs are overhyped right now. It shouldn't be a major shock that a team with super bowl ambitions lost to a pretty good team.

No need to get defensive, I made an observation that the logic you used to support your comment didn’t hold up and it looked like some Monday morning quarterbacking.

Whether it was because of the Chiefs being overhyped or underrating the Colts, the bookies had Chiefs as the 3rd biggest favourite and all posters here, including yourself, believed that the Chiefs would win. I’m not sure what more is needed for you not to question the OP calling it a shock.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    The niners could be 4-0 for the first time since I think 1990(open to correction on that date) and at week 5 sitting nicely atop the NFC west.

I know most people believe their team doesn't get enough credit from the media but I feel the general consensus is that they're an ok team that is only undefeated due to the opposition. Taking that into account, I was shocked that they are -5.5 favourites for this game, huge money must have come on the 49ers.

How both sides deal with their big injuries could decide this - Garrett vs a 6th round rookie, OBJ vs a rusty Verrett/2nd year UDFA, and Shanahan scheming against 2 back up CBs.

First time many people will see the 49ers DL in action, against what has been a questionable Browns OL in pass blocking. Could see Baker running for his life

• Registered Users Posts: 37,479 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Christy42 wrote:
    You know he is good when 3 Tds, 31 points or 300+ yards and 34 points from your offense constitutes getting shut down. Neither the Pats nor the Lions managed to shut down Mahomes properly, they were just able to match him with their own offense.
    I don't care how many yards you put up. Simple fact is his completion percentage in his last two games was below 60%.
    Jacoby Brissett entered last night's game with as many touchdown passes as Mahomes.
    I didn't know who was going to win last night's game but I thought it would be a very close game.
    For me it's not a shock that the Colts won.
    Mahomes has looked like the best in the league at times but it's becoming clear that his roll out is far too predictable. He was s going to have to change his ways if he wants to continue being a successful QB. Teams are catching on.

No need to get defensive

I'm not getting defensive, Foxtrol, you misinterpreted my post and went off on one about it.

That I predicted a Chiefs win doesn't make a Colts win a shock. It's nearly a bigger shock when I'm correct ffs.

I don't care how many yards you put up. Simple fact is his completion percentage in his last two games was below 60%.
    Jacoby Brissett entered last night's game with as many touchdown passes as Mahomes.
    I didn't know who was going to win last night's game but I thought it would be a very close game.
    Mahomes has looked like the best in the league at times but it's becoming clear that his roll out is far too predictable. He was s going to have to change his ways if he wants to continue being a successful QB. Teams are catching on.

Lets not try to make out that this is some big Mahomes issue after 1 game.

I agree with your earlier post that the Patriots gave a template to stress him out and other teams have tried this year to replicate. Before last night the lowest score these opponents managed to keep that offense to was 28.

He does things on a weekly basis that no other QB in the league can do.

If there is concern for the Chiefs right now (laughable at 4-1) it would be defense, injuries, and coaching before looking at Mahomes

I'm not getting defensive, Foxtrol, you misinterpreted my post and went off on one about it.

That I predicted a Chiefs win doesn't make a Colts win a shock. It's nearly a bigger shock when I'm correct ffs.

You questioned someone for calling the 3rd largest underdog of the weekend winning a shock and then got all defensive calling me confrontational when I disagreed with your logic, rather than defending it.

Not much to misinterpret.

Not much to misinterpret.

Except for the bit that you misinterpreted, getting my meaning absolutely arse backwards in the process. Not that you actually acknowledged the correction in any way.

Except for the bit that you misinterpreted, getting my meaning absolutely arse backwards in the process. Not that you actually acknowledged the correction in any way.

Nice continued pivot away from either dealing with your initial claim that there is any issue with calling the 3rd biggest underdog of the week a shock.

I don't see where there needs to be a correction, if anything you might have actually misinterpreted me (I could have been clearer). I was never saying you don't believe that they aspire to win the Super Bowl (which would be a bit of a ridiculous claim as every team aspires to it), I was saying that you believed they currently don't have the capabilities to achieve their aspirations, which is clear from you saying they need to improve and that you only see them as a good playoff team.

By your lack of any attempt to backup your original point and this going around in circles I'll leave it there.

Nice continued pivot away from either dealing with your initial claim that there is any issue with calling the 3rd biggest underdog of the week a shock.

If we're going to nitpick (and apparently we are), what I originally said was "Is it that much of a shock though?" which is to say, it's just not a major shock, not that it isn't a shock at all. So you're basically arguing about the degree of shockingness.

As regards the Super Bowl aspirations, I mean, obviously every team has Super Bowl aspirations, but in that context it should be clear (maybe it wasn't) that I meant realistic Super Bowl aspirations. And yes, I'm saying that on their current performances, I don't see them as Super Bowl winners, which isn't the same as saying they don't have the capabilities to win it (on the contrary, I think they do), just that their actual performances don't warrant the hype around them, and that a loss like this isn't too surprising, especially in the context of their previous week against the Lions. Referencing the fact that the bookies had them as major favourites, I mean, that's kind of the point of saying a team is being over-hyped, that people's expectations of them are too high.

Anyway, you're a poster I normally like reading, and who makes good points generally (one of several people I actually tend to learn something from), and I get on with pretty much everyone here so I'm not sure why there's a big argument about a trivial matter of exactly how shocked we should all be by a result in a league where there are big upsets every single week. Anyway I'll go back to just reading for a while, thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Christy42

The offense runs through Mahomes and puts up stupid amounts of points. The Colts are the only team to do it and even then he had a tweaked ankle and was missing his top two wrs for the game when Watkins stepped out of the game early.

Aside from continuing being a successful QB, he is easily the best in the NFL right now.

Advertisement