Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taxi Ranks in the middle of a main road...

• 06-10-2019 4:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4 Qwerty86

Taxi Ranks outside Masons running all the way back up Manor Street. Just wondering how is it even legal for a taxi rank to take up part of an actual lane off a main road and am I the only one this seriously annoys?😂😂😂
    It's crazy, If you come to the traffic lights at Masons heading towards the quays you have to stop halfway between 2 lanes. Another part of the silly traffic management in the city....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭JohnC.

As you say, there's 2 lanes. Use the other to get around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Qwerty86

JohnC. wrote: »

You're missing the point. It blocks up the lane to go straight ahead meaning everyone has to go into the lane for drivers turning right which causes traffic to back up when the car that actually wants to turn right gets to the top.
    The lights at the end of the sequence then allow cars to turn right only but the first car that wants to do that is probably number 5 or 6 in the queue.... Terrible planning

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭davetherave

It does seem to have been removed in the draft Taxi Stand By-laws 2019 by the council.

http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/media/plans-strategies/bye-laws/MetropolitanDistrictWaterfordAppointedStands(AmendNo2)Bye-Laws2017.pdf

Formerly appearing as Manor Street, Waterford. North side of the road from a point 12m from the junction with Johns Lane to a point 36m southwest of said point. With a maximum of 6 taxis facing northeast adjacent and parallel to the kerb between 1830 and 0500.

http://www.waterfordcouncil.ie/media/plans-strategies/bye-laws/Draft%20Appointed%20Stands%20Bye-Laws%202019%20-%20Metro.docx

Explanatory Notes: These bye-laws provide for the removal of taxi ranks from The Manor and Merchants Quay to improve traffic flow and reduce risk to road users.

Whoever came up with that idea needs to be given a good chat to be fair.
    Its 10 times worse then when a taxi gets a fare for the opposite direction and decides to do a u-turn on the street - nightmare!

• I used to leave on Manor Street just opposite Harveys and on Friday/Saturday night the taxis rank would get so backed up there would queue as far back as the traffic lights by Bunkers hill. The taxis were parking on double yellow lines and blocking up the bike lane on Manor Street. When I asked the taxi men to move, they'd say "I am allowed park here", I rang the guards on them multiple times, but they were never moved on.

After using Uber abroad, a lot recently I have to say I find them a much superior service than the taxi drivers we have around this town. We should just let Uber operate in Ireland and let the Taxi companies go bust if they can’t keep up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,703 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

After using Uber abroad, a lot recently I have to say I find them a much superior service than the taxi drivers we have around this town. We should just let Uber operate in Ireland and let the Taxi companies go bust if they can’t keep up.

Well it depends if you believe in protectionism for workers or rentiers, but I will admit, some of those ranks are not suitable

• Registered Users Posts: 10,177 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

JohnC. wrote: »

Taxi driver

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

You'd think that Parnell St would be a better place for a taxi rank people leaving the Reg and Tower etc could walk the short distance too,but taxi drivers are a law onto themselves and they do whatever they want really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭friendlyfun

I used to leave on Manor Street just opposite Harveys and on Friday/Saturday night the taxis rank would get so backed up there would queue as far back as the traffic lights by Bunkers hill. The taxis were parking on double yellow lines and blocking up the bike lane on Manor Street. When I asked the taxi men to move, they'd say "I am allowed park here", I rang the guards on them multiple times, but they were never moved on.

Taxis are the first to cause disruption if anything threatens them. If the government even countenanced bringing in Uber (proper uber) then I'd say the be blocking rice bridge

Taxis are the first to cause disruption if anything threatens them. If the government even countenanced bringing in Uber (proper uber) then I'd say the be blocking rice bridge

With the fairly obvious negative effects of liberalisation and deregulation of other sectors of our economy, it's understandable why some take radical measures

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Probably a discussion for another forum but why isn't Uber in Ireland?

Probably a discussion for another forum but why isn't Uber in Ireland?

Probably partially due to taxi unions etc, but there's probably many reasons why, I'm surprised it's not already here, since we seem to favour these type of business models, or elements of

• Registered Users Posts: 3,358 ✭✭✭JohnC.

greenspurs wrote: »
    Taxi driver

It must be nearly 20 years since I’ve even been in a taxi, but thanks for making stupid assumptions anyway.

• Wanderer78 wrote: »
    Well it depends if you believe in protectionism for workers or rentiers, but I will admit, some of those ranks are not suitable

Don't give a sh1t about protectionism for workers. Bring in Uber and let the taxi drivers compete and if they can't compete then tough, they can find work doing something else.

Don't give a sh1t about protectionism for workers. Bring in Uber and let the taxi drivers compete and if they can't compete then tough, they can find work doing something else.

If your own job was on the line, you d be saying otherwise, 'markets don't occur in a vacuum', we don't live in an idealistic world whereby skills are transferable, we cannot keep undermining the workforce, and expect things to remain somewhat stable enough for people to live in some sort of security, uber is a perfect example of a rentier business model, I.e. undermining the security of the workforce in that sector, while extracting wealth, we reap what we sow

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

greenspurs wrote: »
    Taxi driver

That was my first thought also.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Iompair

Wanderer78 wrote: »

Uber run their business at a massive loss to undercut and drive out competition, it's a bigger scam then taxi's themselves which is saying something.

What will happen if they ever run out of investor funding and actually have to try and turn a profit is anybodys guess, but hiking up their prices will probably be high up the list.

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

Now, I don't think that workers should have unlimited protections. Indeed, there are some situations/industries where workers are perhaps over protected. But your first statement:rolleyes: . Thankfully not everyone has your attitude. If they did, most of us would end up working in modern day sweatshops.
    You don't care about protection for workers? All so your taxi ride might be a little cheaper or perhaps faster to pick you up? I wonder what industry you work in yourself.

For the record, I am very sceptical about bringing Uber to Ireland. Iompair has good post above. Inevitably, if Uber comes to Ireland, this will involve some of our taxi fares being sent to Uber HQ overseas instead of staying in the local economy. I really don't see what's in it for us in Ireland.

In case anyone suspects, No, I'm not a taxi driver and never have been.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Gardner

UBER should be introduced in rural ireland as a trial and banned from urban areas just like they do around airports in several european cities.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Gardner wrote: »
    UBER should be introduced in rural ireland as a trial and banned from urban areas just like they do around airports in several european cities.

This is a fantastic idea. It is so hard to get taxis in the countryside and if a local was willing to do it via uber it would be a fantastic service. I'm sure it happens under the radar as it is but that's only good if you know who's offering the service!

• Advertisement

• Now, I don't think that workers should have unlimited protections. Indeed, there are some situations/industries where workers are perhaps over protected. But your first statement:rolleyes: . Thankfully not everyone has your attitude. If they did, most of us would end up working in modern day sweatshops.
    You don't care about protection for workers? All so your taxi ride might be a little cheaper or perhaps faster to pick you up? I wonder what industry you work in yourself.

For the record, I am very sceptical about bringing Uber to Ireland. Iompair has good post above. Inevitably, if Uber comes to Ireland, this will involve some of our taxi fares being sent to Uber HQ overseas instead of staying in the local economy. I really don't see what's in it for us in Ireland.

In case anyone suspects, No, I'm not a taxi driver and never have been.
    Actually, I haven't got a taxi in years, so I am not particularly invested in this subject. The only point I am making is that if Uber can provide a good service for cheaper than the taxi companies then Uber should be allowed do that and if this drives taxi companies out of business.... well that’s capitalism in action.

Should we just ban Uber just to keep taxi companies in business?

• JohnC. wrote: »

What do you mean use the other lane? The taxi drivers are parking in a f**king cycle lane on Manor Street. Their cars should be towed away or they should be fined for blocking access to a cycle lane.

We are trying to encourage people to cycle to help the environment yet you have taxi drivers with their big cars blocking up bike lanes :rolleyes:

Actually, I haven't got a taxi in years, so I am not particularly invested in this subject. The only point I am making is that if Uber can provide a good service for cheaper than the taxi companies then Uber should be allowed do that and if this drives taxi companies out of business.... well that’s capitalism in action.

That's a far more nuanced way of putting it than saying you don't care about protectionism for workers though. There's always a balance to be struck between reducing prices, providing a good service and protecting workers. After all, if our only interest was lower prices, then why not abolish the minimum wage? Wouldn't that reduce prices? You can reasonably argue for the introduction of uber to Ireland. However, I don't think it's reasonable to say that worker's welfare should be totally ignored either.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

I was In Portugal a few weeks ago. Mrs O had the Uber app as she uses it around the wurld. We never spent more than €5 on any journey.. there was one trip that in Ireland would have been in excess of €90and it cost us €24.. I dont give a fuk about the self employed taxi men I'm spending MY money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

I was In Portugal a few weeks ago. Mrs O had the Uber app as she uses it around the wurld. We never spent more than €5 on any journey.. there was one trip that in Ireland would have been in excess of €90and it cost us €24.. I dont give a fuk about the self employed taxi men I'm spending MY money.

Never spent more than five euro next line spends 24

Again, 'markets don't occur in a vacuum', if you're comfortable with removing protectionism in one market, be prepared for similar measures to occur in the sector you work in, or related sectors. Protectionism is a fundamental and critical component of capatalism, from protection of workers and employers, without which, only a highly dysfunctional and potentially dangerous form of it exists

Thread is gone totally off the original subject. Can a mod close it please?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,177 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Qwerty86 wrote: »
    Thread is gone totally off the original subject. Can a mod close it please?

Why ?
    have you nothing else to contribute to it ?
    Threads evolve ……

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭Junior

And what happens when the Uber model collapses (because it's a huge loss making industry) and neither a Taxi Service or Uber exist ?

• Advertisement

I don't really see what Portugal's got to do with anything. Or do you think that the only reason why taxis are cheaper in Portugal is because they've got uber?
    https://checkinprice.com/average-and-minimum-salary-in-dublin-ireland/
    https://checkinprice.com/average-and-minimum-salary-in-lisbon-portugal/

Average monthly salary in Lisbon is €860 as against €2200 in Dublin. So obviously taxis are cheaper there. Nor do we know how much their car insurance is, licence fees etc. You may as well compare taxi fares in Timbuctoo. The only question is how much might uber reduce fares in Ireland.

You don't give a "fuk" about taxi men. Fine. I have no idea what you work at or whether you work and as I've said before, I accept that protections for workers have to be balanced against what's good for everyone else. However, if you beggar your neighbour, remember that it might be your turn next to be beggared.

Advertisement