Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Chat Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,954 ✭✭✭Liamalone

I'm hungry, might make myself a wicked zinger box meal.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I made some sandwich bread yesterday for today's brunch of croque monsieur. That should have just worn off in time for dinner of biksemad made with leftover goat.

491861.jpg

491862.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

re cadburys dairy milk.. still tastes as good to me. Love it and will eat no other..

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I made some sandwich bread yesterday for today's brunch of croque monsieur. That should have just worn off in time for dinner of biksemad made with leftover goat.

491861.jpg

491862.jpg

OscarBravo, could you PM me the recipe for that bread, please?

New Home wrote: »

I too would be interested in this, please!

• Advertisement

Dónal wrote: »
    I too would be interested in this, please!

It's actually a really, really basic recipe: 400g of strong white flour, 8g of salt, 1 sachet of yeast and 260g of warm water. Mix well in a bowl, turn out onto an unfloured counter and knead (I used Bertinet's technique) for ten minutes. Let it rise in an oiled bowl until it has doubled, then pre-shape it into a ball, let it rest for a few minutes and shape into a loaf. Let it prove in the tin until it has doubled again, then bake at 160⁰ fan for 45 minutes. (I doubled the quantities to make two loaves.)

I've been watching a lot of Jack Sturgess's videos recently, which have taught me the importance of building structure in your bread dough.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,654 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

It’s the food forum, you can just ask posters to post a recipe publicly so then everyone has access to it :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,042 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Canned oily fish!

I just love the stuff.

Mackerel, sardines (I have to remove the bones ugh!), anchovies are my usuals but kippers are really great.

I've seen herrings as well in Lidl but haven't tried them yet. Are rollmops nice? The skin in the picture has put me off trying them.

I was in Tesco earlier buying canned kippers, and noticed that they also had something called skippers. Brisling I think it was... Are they nice?

I'd like to try fresh kippers but the bones put me off. The canned ones seem to have no bones, maybe they have melted away.

EDIT: So, a skipper is a brisling is a spat is a whitebait? Confusing nomenclature.

ALSO: Interesting reading...

"Modern herring fisheries freeze the herring immediately on the boats and process them further onshore. This also helps kill the nematodes (worms) which grow in the fish stomach."

:/

https://www.thespruceeats.com/role-of-herring-in-german-cuisine-1446911

" "Rollmöpse" (pl) are fillets rolled around a piece of pickle and onion or sauerkraut and laid in a similar marinade. They are a traditional hangover cure. They are a specialty of Berlin."

igCorcaigh wrote: »
    I've seen herrings as well in Lidl but haven't tried them yet. Are rollmops nice?

I haven't tried the Lidl version, but sild (pickled herring) is a Danish lunch staple, and I eat it most days when I'm over there. It's a bit of an acquired taste, but definitely worth trying once.

I haven't tried the Lidl version, but sild (pickled herring) is a Danish lunch staple, and I eat it most days when I'm over there. It's a bit of an acquired taste, but definitely worth trying once.

I'll definitely try it. Is sild same as rollmops?
    Would love to visit Copenhagen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,412 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I'll definitely try it. Is sild same as rollmops?
    Would love to visit Copenhagen.
    I don't know the Danish 'sild' , but the Swedish version 'sill', is usually sold in small pieces in various sauces .. dill, mustard etc. You can get it in Ikea in jars ...

https://www.ikea.com/ie/en/cat/fish-seafood-25214/

What I know as rollmops are larger fillets wrapped around a piece of pickle, usual a dill pickle, and skewered with a wooden stick.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

Rollmops are lovely. There isn’t much difference between fresh and in a jar, try them with a sliced of buttered wheaten bread.

You can get boned kippers. Not sure where I used to get them, maybe Tesco.

Snacks

Either it be corn snacks, crisps, bagged snacky things, anything. Any snack brands.

I just bought these from Tesco, and I rate them 3 out of 10.

IMG-20191002-183519.jpg

Hard ,flavourless. I've had worse though.

Please rate your snacks.

OK, not terrible, maybe a 4 out of 10.

Snacks

Either it be corn snacks, crisps, bagged snacky things, anything. Any snack brands.

I just bought these from Tesco, and I rate them 3 out of 10.

IMG-20191002-183519.jpg

Hard ,flavourless. I've had worse though.

Please rate your snacks.

Have a look at the Holland and Barrett irish site for snacks etc. I send for them at intervals; the oat bars in a variety of flavours. Just got Nairns coconut and chia oat biscuits; reduced sugar and rate them very high. But they make other biscuits seem not attractive.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,295 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The Snaktastic Barbecue Pop'd (air popped potato chips) and the Sour Cream and Onion (but especially the Barbecue ones) from Lidl are divine. 10/10. And they're (relatively) "only" 438kcal per 100gr bag. Only €1.29 a bag, at the moment, and suitable for vegetarians!

They also have salt and vinegar ones, but I haven't tried them.

Graces7 wrote: »
    Have a look at the Holland and Barrett irish site for snacks etc. I send for them at intervals; the oat bars in a variety of flavours. Just got Nairns coconut and chia oat biscuits; reduced sugar and rate them very high. But they make other biscuits seem not attractive.

Will do Grace.

Although I don't like sweet things at all.
    I'm very savoury toothed.

The Snaktastic Barbecue Pop'd (air popped potato chips) and the Sour Cream and Onion (but especially the Barbecue ones) from Lidl are divine. 10/10. And they're (relatively) "only" 438kcal per 100gr bag. Only €1.29 a bag, at the moment, and suitable for vegetarians!

Definitely going to check them out.
    The BBQ ones though, as I hate sour cream flavoured things, reminds me of pringles, ugh.

Couldn't find them in my local Lidl (cornmarket Street).

Got these instead. A bit bog standard. Tasty enough though. I sprinkled in some hot smoked paprika.

IMG-20191003-183549.jpg

I usually don't eat this kind of thing.
    They're very moreish aren't they?

Should have got some refried beans to go with them.

Haven't tried those, so I can't comment, I'm afraid. The ones I was on about seem to disappear pretty quickly. They're in bags with a white background, if it helps. I did a search in google, and they appear on a Tesco.com website, too!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTm8SZZU23vaxL81G03BmXX-dceDuODIScU8iEZKmmv9CKfYCYg

• Advertisement

Will do Grace.

Although I don't like sweet things at all.
    I'm very savoury toothed.

Sorry: I knew that but managed to not send details!

They have a wide range of savoury snacks.. go to the home page, then FOOD and DRINK and Savoury snacks... unusual things!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,371 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

McVities waffles on offer in tesco. 1.50 for 8. Gets a good review.

https://www.tesco.ie/groceries/Product/Details/?id=250810338
    Irresistable!
    5 stars
    A Tesco Customer3rd October 2018

I bought these for the kids, and keep sneaking them for myself. They smell so good when they are in the toaster... I couldn't resist. Be careful not to leave them too long, though, as they burn easily. And I recomend giving them a moment to cool off once they come out of the toaster as they crisp up as they cool down a bit.

I like the fact they are wrapped in pairs. Some complain about packaging but loads of food goes to waste due to not being used up in time. Also I would just eat the lot in a couple of days if it was just 1 pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,815 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Can I ask you all in here if anyone knows anything about Halogen Ovens ? The countertop things ? Would it be a thumbs up or down ?

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Can I ask you all in here if anyone knows anything about Halogen Ovens ? The countertop things ? Would it be a thumbs up or down ?

I bought one, from argos, years ago; trying to cut cooking costs at the rental I was in them had a gas hob but electric oven.

Used it a few times... I am no good at tech things so did not persevere.I found it complicated to use but others will be different. Certainly no great advantage over an ordinary oven .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,371 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Mam of 4 wrote: »

I looked into them when buying my aifryer and from what I read I was strongly steered towards getting the airfryer and am very pleased with how it works.. The bulbs will wear out on the halogens and can be pricey to replace. They did come in big sizes, that was the only thing going for the halogens when I was buying, but nowadays large airfriers are common. In the big airfryer thread most recommend getting a large one.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

My mother, who admittedly can't cook at all, uses a halogen oven 100% of the time. Actually dumped the full cooker in their seaside house for a two ring gas hob, halogen and microwave.

Thanks for your help folks . I have a solid fuel cooker , so use the oven in that , and a gas hob , was just thinking of the halogen oven for handiness sake ,eg , late in , cooker not lit etc , and tbh was thinking it might be a cheaper alternative to an airfryer .

I have a wee countertop oven from Lidl or Aldi (this sort of thing) that I often use instead of the big oven in the cooker. It's perfect for small reheating or grilling jobs. Not great for baking, but fine for anything else that fits in it.

I have a wee countertop oven from Lidl or Aldi (this sort of thing) that I often use instead of the big oven in the cooker. It's perfect for small reheating or grilling jobs. Not great for baking, but fine for anything else that fits in it.

Excellent !
    That would be ideal , and to make it better , I think either Lidl or Aldi have them in this week , decision made !

Thank you :)

• Advertisement

I had a combination microwave oven a while ago, and I found it great. Not just with the grill, but with a ventilated oven function, too. Ok for baking, very good for the other functions, and large enough for what I needed it to do. If I were to buy another, I'd go for a flat bed one, something like this.

Advertisement