Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Tax Saver Savings

• 03-10-2019 2:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

My brother is wondering whether to go for this.

He uses DART/bus/commuter and the ticket says 1800 (cost price only 936)

He pays about 30 a week currently which is circa 1650.

Is this a no brainer and is it possible to sign up anytime?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

It all depends on his tax bracket. Some companies have a cut off date for signing up (mine did at least).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

It all depends on his tax bracket. Some companies have a cut off date for signing up (mine did at least).

It's at 40pc so it says 600 saved he says

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭SirChenjin

First thing he needs to check is, if his employer is signed up to the scheme.

Some bigger companies offer it, for example, with a sign up date twice yearly - that probably varies, from one employer to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,035 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    It's at 40pc so it says 600 saved he says

40% tax relief

plus 4% PRSI relief

plus USC relief

So it's 48.5% relief for many people.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,713 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Geuze wrote: »
    40% tax relief

plus 4% PRSI relief

plus USC relief

So it's 48.5% relief for many people.

it's 52% if you're on the top rate of USC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Lynnington3

Sorry to hijack this thread but I’m also wondering about going for this...
    My workplace offers it.
    A yearly commuter ticket for me works out at 3920.
    So how much would I save if i opted for this scheme?
    I’m in lower tax bracket.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you'll only save about 30% of it, unfortunately.
    one way of checking is to fill out this tax calculator, and put your current earnings in, and then try it again with your current earnings, minus the cost of the ticket:

https://download.pwc.com/ie/budget-2019/income-tax-calculator.html

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

My understanding is that the costs of the tax saver ticket are deducted from your salary, meaning that you might pay less tax. This is why I've taken the luas-only tax saver ticket.

Sadly I recently discovered that the 155 bus gets me into work quicker than the green line, yet I am already paying for the unlimited luas service using my tax saver so it makes no sense for me to take the 155 now. I am now only taking that as a last resort if I'm running late.

I saw on the company website that the tax saver tickets are yearly and you cannot cancel in the meantime. Does anybody know if this is true? Does this depend on the company or does this depend on the tax saver scheme itself?

I wouldn't want to pay for unlimited dublin bus + luas, it would be too dear for me and I do not use public transportation enough for me to justify that cost, as I live in the city center anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

machaseh wrote: »
    I saw on the company website that the tax saver tickets are yearly and you cannot cancel in the meantime. Does anybody know if this is true? Does this depend on the company or does this depend on the tax saver scheme itself?

It can depend on the employer, in some cases they purchase the annual ticket and then charge the employee monthly for it.

An annual ticket can be cancelled but they refund the remaining number of unused months minus 2 so if your employer paid they don't get the full value back.

https://www.taxsaver.ie/Commuters/Annual-Ticket-Conditions/Annual-Ticket-Conditions/
    Please note that Annual products are based on a 10 month rate, with two months free and this discount is withdrawn if the ticket is cancelled so the refund/credit is based on the regular monthly rate by the number of months used.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭machaseh

sharper wrote: »
    It can depend on the employer, in some cases they purchase the annual ticket and then charge the employee monthly for it.

An annual ticket can be cancelled but they refund the remaining number of unused months minus 2 so if your employer paid they don't get the full value back.

https://www.taxsaver.ie/Commuters/Annual-Ticket-Conditions/Annual-Ticket-Conditions/

I dont think my company pays for it, I think I pay for it myself. I dont have such a good job that they'd pay for my transportation ticket, as they also dont pay the fuel of those who come in by car which would be the majority.

So I suppose that if I cancel it in the meantime for any reason I'll be down 200 quid, then it's hardly a tax SAVER anymore now is it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭sharper

I dont think my company pays for it, I think I pay for it myself. I dont have such a good job that they'd pay for my transportation ticket, as they also dont pay the fuel of those who come in by car which would be the majority.

So I suppose that if I cancel it in the meantime for any reason I'll be down 200 quid, then it's hardly a tax SAVER anymore now is it.

I don't mean they pay for it at no cost to you, just that they pay the annual cost and then charge you monthly. If you've already paid the annual cost it doesn't really make any difference to them but if you're paying out monthly then they would lose out.

Annual tickets have very marginal benefits and rely on the tax break to make it worthwhile. It's basically another subsidy for the various transport companies.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I dont think my company pays for it, I think I pay for it myself.
    you do pay for it in the sense that it comes out of your gross salary, it's not a 'gift' from the company. but they are the ones who actually make the purchase on your behalf. the tax savings come in in that you get the face value of the ticket as 'income' but don't pay tax on this 'income'.

Advertisement