Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post pics of your watches ***Please NO QUOTING PHOTOS***

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,810 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Lovely. What's the "link" refer to at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

fat bloke wrote: »

Its the unusual, S shaped links on the braclet :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭TheW1zard

Todays watch today

492082.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Mondaine Evo

IMG-20190927-160140.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

fat bloke wrote: »

I wondered that myself, was only Googling it lately. Thought it was going to be BlueTooth or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

Birneybau wrote: »
    I wondered that myself, was only Googling it lately. Thought it was going to be BlueTooth or something.

Tag Heuer do do that - it's the Tag Heuer "Connected" ;)

https://www.tagheuer.com/en/watches/tag-heuer-connected

Interesting take on smart watches - not sure I'd choose that over say an Apple watch if I'm looking for a smart watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

GA-2100

Img-1570098948073.jpg
    Img-1570098982366.jpg
    Img-1570100611243.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Normally not so keen on analogue G-Shocks, being a traditionalist an that :D but I like that one. I think it's the very chunky and bold indices that make it.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

The GA-2100 is one of the nicer designs from G-Shock, very clean design. Not tacky at all. It's quite thin, thinner than even the small G-Shocks like the DW5600. Seems to have picked up a fanbase very quickly. I will probably pick one up at some stage. Just wish it had lume on the hour markers.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Its a teeny bit thinner than the 5600, felt alot lighter than the 5600 too when i had them in my hands earlier. I guess not having Solar or Atomic timekeeping and having some Carbon help. Really happy i was able to grab one, they started to sell out as soon as the range was released.

IMG-20191003-140240.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

Thirdfox wrote: »
    Tag Heuer do do that - it's the Tag Heuer "Connected" ;)

https://www.tagheuer.com/en/watches/tag-heuer-connected

Interesting take on smart watches - not sure I'd choose that over say an Apple watch if I'm looking for a smart watch.

Nice

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,050 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Following on from something on another thread and mention of TAG here, wheeled out this today:

492386.jpg

Tried it on a BUND strap it came with, no way could Live Aid poster boy here get away with that. :D T'was a bit large on a NATO too, so sourced a NOS 1960's Expandro strap, which they(and the previous Junghans mil Chronos) were sometimes worn on. Result. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

That’s pure class W.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭shutup

I think the Heuer is my favourite watch that I’ve ever seen. I did prefer it the other strap though

• Registered Users Posts: 16,418 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That's sweet looking Wibbs, ya have some really esoteric tastes!
    It's not a strap I'd ever have thought of using for a Bund, but it really works.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭micks_address

shutup wrote: »
    I think the Heuer is my favourite watch that I’ve ever seen. I did prefer it the other strap though
    Not sold on that bracelet either ☹️

banie01 wrote: »
    ya have some really esoteric tastes!
    I'm a weird bastard you mean... :D Yeah those straps were popular with German pilots.

f104_expandro_hanhart_junghans.jpg

Then again the expanding metal strap thing was huge for many decades from the 20's until well into the 90's with Speidel and the like being the go to replacement strap for many. Even featured in TV ads. An uncle of mine who has a 60's Blancpain FF from new(the bastard) slapped a spidel onto it in the 80's and it still on that(the philistine bastard :D ).

Yep the Heuer "bund" is a very nice watch, though the bezel is friction fit rather than clicks which feels a bit cheap. Less to fail I suppose and they were rated for high positive and negative G. The case is an interesting and unusual design which dates back to the 1930's. The chrono is very nice to operate and flyback for the win. None of this was to do with Heuer of course, they bought the whole thing in from Leonidas. Specifically for the military contracts I suspect, which would have been a consistent source of cash for them, something Heuer was usually short of. Though on their official history the model is never mentioned. Like it never existed(and until recently they were one of the "cheapest" vintage Heuer chronos you could buy). And there's never been a sniff that they'd reissue it. Odd given it was probably one of their most produced watches and military which sells, well if case serial numbers are anything to go by. Then again it is pre TAG Heuer here, so it's just as likely the case serial numbers were pulled out of their bottom after a while(or SINN kicked off a new set of cases as part of BUND servicing when they took it over).

I got lucky with mine in that it's a civilian, no BUND/NATO issue no. stamp on back and an early serial number(616), no Heuer on the movement, the early ones have polished pushers and crown and had a fair bit of patina when I got it, like a vintage watch should be IMHO, so at the time it was cheaper than the NOS looking ones from the SINN selloff in the 90's. Now the more vintage looking ones can get a premium. Funny old world.

Not sold on that bracelet either ☹️
    Oh I hear you and in fairness M, I am an oddball. Hell the history of straps gets me revved up. :D I even inspired a Hodinkee article from a comment I made about the history of the various straps and bracelets and springbars. Down the years I've been able to source NOS vintage straps going back to the first world war, because I was interested in how things changed over time.

It's one area where the buying public has shifted quite a bit. Like I was saying no watch collector today would dream of buying an expanding metal strap, yet they were about the most popular option for replacing straps and bracelets for most of the 20th century. I've seen them show up on Pateks in estate sales. One piece cheap nylon or canvas straps were another when they came in(QV Sean Connery's Bond Rolex with the endlessly copied NATO strap that wasn't). For one good reason. They were washable. Many of the early ones have the word "hygienic" in the trade name(and as we know leather straps can get whiffy and you don't want to see the goo that comes out of a metal bracelet in an ultrasonic bath. :eek::D) NATOs, or rather G10's themselves were seen as out of bounds except for pure issued watches, until Omega and Tudor slapped a hundred quid plus onto the price. Even then you'll note on some forums that NATOs are still seen as tacky. We defo tend to be more strap/bracelet conscious today and they should be quality leather or heavier than granite bracelets as a reflection of the luxury angle.

As an example, here's the Heuer with a 43 issued Wagner on the original strap that I was daftly lucky to find(meh quality and doesn't deserve the name "leather" :D).

492405.jpg

Gives a good idea of size comparison, the Wagner being 35mm. Though the actual viewable area of the dials aren't so different, a couple of mm tops.

1940 Alpina KM on a contemporaneous canvas "Hygienic" strap(which was a "NATO" before there was a NATO).

492406.jpg

1941 Doxa DH on a similar vintage expanding metal strap(similar to a Bonklip).

492407.jpg

Told ye I was odd. :eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭micks_address

Thanks for the write up wibbs, super informative as usual

Latest piece. Have a nice 55 fathoms seiko in the works ðŸ˜

492420.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

Wibbs wrote: »
    Following on from something on another thread and mention of TAG here, wheeled out this today:

Tried it on a BUND strap it came with, no way could Live Aid poster boy here get away with that. :D T'was a bit large on a NATO too, so sourced a NOS 1960's Expandro strap, which they(and the previous Junghans mil Chronos) were sometimes worn on. Result. :)

What is the case size on that?

It is gorgeous.

From what I recall LR it's 43mm, but it wears smaller than that sounds. The lugs are short and taper down and it's a thin enough watch, or feels it. It's also quite a lightweight watch too. It was a very well thought out design IMHO. Well, consider that I've a weedy 6.5 inch wrist where a 32mm watch like that above Alpina doesn't look too mad, yet the 11mm larger Bund also works OK. By comparison a Rolex Sub at 40mm(Rolex have always been nicely sensible about sizes, unlike some...) on my wrist looks much "bigger". To be fair they'd have more heft as a watch overall.

Montre du jour

492594.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,214 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Pablo_Flox wrote: »
    Mondaine Evo

I really love the gimmicky as fúck stop2go Mondaine.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Cienciano wrote: »
    I really love the gimmicky as fúck stop2go Mondaine.

Me too, I am planning to get a Stop 2 Go wall clock for my house in the next few months.

Me, stuck in traffic earlier.

492729.jpg

Have this old thing nearly 30 years at this stage. :eek: Used to be pretty much my daily wearer in the late 90's. Never gave an ounce of bother. And now with Seiko lume slapped on, glows like Chernobyl all night so is getting a lot of wrist time again.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Wibbs wrote: »
    Have this old thing nearly 30 years at this stage. :eek: Used to be pretty much my daily wearer in the late 90's. Never gave an ounce of bother. And now with Seiko lume slapped on, glows like Chernobyl all night so is getting a lot of wrist time again.

Wow Wibbs. You have the coolest watches!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭ Julian Nice Tattoo

Very once upon a time in Hollywood there wibbs....cool 70's vibe.

OnceUponATimeInHollywood1.jpg

:D mad how styles come back mind you. From the great war to the disco era.

492742.jpg

That style was quite popular with the fashion brands a while back too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Wibbs, any chance you could ban me from this sub forum?
    Its killing my will power not to go buy more!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement