Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Buying in Crumlin

• 16-08-2019 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1

I am considering buying a property in Crumlin, specifically Lismore road near Sundrive road, and I'm looking for any advice on the area. Is it a safe area? Is it quiet? Rowdy? Anything you can tell me about the area would be great!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

If you read news reports for the last several years you will learn about the Crumlin Drimnagh feud. There will also be several other reports of various other residents of the area coming before the courts on serious criminal charges.
    That is why you will have to do your homework to make sure you dont move in next door to them or their family.
    The position is that there are thousands of decent hard working people in that area doing their best. Many have purchased their house from the City Council and done great refurbishments on them. The area is fairly handy to the city and also to the motorways etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭Doop

We recently bought in Drimnagh and had bid previously on houses on Lismore road., we're now settled in over toward the Childrens Hospital. Neither of us are from the area or Dublin 12 originally. But so far so good we're in about 6 months now no issues to complain of. I think its a mixed bag as alot of areas are but we feel safe and happy with the move. I do think who your immediate neighbours can have a big factor on your enjoyment. So I would be knocking into neighbours if it looks like you are succeeding in the bidding process.

I dont really see how the 'Crumlin/Drimnagh Feud' mentioned above will ever have any impact on me... we're regular people going to work 9-5 and tip down the pub of the weekend.... wont be going down the marble arch tho :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

I think every single working class area, in dublin ,has some criminals in it,
    or people that may use drugs , thats modern life .
    one example i know people that bought a house in finglas ,they are very happy.
    They live in an ex council estate,
    all the neighbours have cars and are all very quiet and respectable .
    theres no house ,s in the estate that were not bought from the council 10-20 years ago.
    The average age of the owners there is 40-50 .
    maybe speak to people in the area, and to the agent,
    try and find out who your close neighbours are.
    are they young familys, old people , people renting from a landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

Doop wrote: »
    We recently bought in Drimnagh and had bid previously on houses on Lismore road., we're now settled in over toward the Childrens Hospital. Neither of us are from the area or Dublin 12 originally. But so far so good we're in about 6 months now no issues to complain of. I think its a mixed bag as alot of areas are but we feel safe and happy with the move. I do think who your immediate neighbours can have a big factor on your enjoyment. So I would be knocking into neighbours if it looks like you are succeeding in the bidding process.

I dont really see how the 'Crumlin/Drimnagh Feud' mentioned above will ever have any impact on me... we're regular people going to work 9-5 and tip down the pub of the weekend.... wont be going down the marble arch tho :D

My parents live on Cooley road. I lived there most of my life until I moved out last few months to tallaght.

Loved every minute of living in drimnagh and always hung around in crumlin.
    The drimnagh crumlin feud is all media talk.
    It's very safe there and everything is Central to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Crumlin like every working class neighbourhood and as has been said above will be livable or a living hell based on your immediate neighbours. Hang around the place at odd hours and try and suss the place out. Maybe try and strike up a conversation with people on the street. A great source of information is the security guard on the local shop and the local pharmacy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

the most important thing is your immediate neighbours,
    People who work in local shops will know ,is this street ,good, bad,
    average,quiet .
    Go past the house at 7pm,9 pm,
    is it near a corner,on the street
    is there teens hanging around at night talking or just making noise.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I looked extensively in Crumlin, Drimnagh & Kimmage... spent many evenings and nights sitting in the car observing... Over almost a year I put bids on two houses, one was grand, but a bit small, so I wasn't upset when I was outbid. The second was awesome... an incredibly cool house with character and potential and I desperatly wanted it (even though there were some not great neighbours)... I was outbid on that even though I pushed myself to my (at the time) financial limits...

In general, it's hard to know who lives where and whether it will impact you, the police have basically told me the same. Do as much research as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I looked extensively in Crumlin, Drimnagh & Kimmage... spent many evenings and nights sitting in the car observing... Over almost a year I put bids on two houses, one was grand, but a bit small, so I wasn't upset when I was outbid. The second was awesome... an incredibly cool house with character and potential and I desperatly wanted it (even though there were some not great neighbours)... I was outbid on that even though I pushed myself to my (at the time) financial limits...

In general, it's hard to know who lives where and whether it will impact you, the police have basically told me the same. Do as much research as you can.
    Exactly. Do the research. Some of these houses have fantastic long gardens. Others are in little cul de sacs of maybe 10 to12 houses. Get in beside the right people and you will be grand. There are the odd scrotes going into pubs like the Marble Arch etc but generally the management arewell able to sort them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭Captain Flaps

Friends of mine bought a 2 bed on Lismore road 2 years ago, I texted them there and they have no regrets and have had zero problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

Bought last year just off Sundrive road near Crumlin road 2 mins away from the marble arch and its been fine.

Originally was a slight worried from news articles but its really quiet and regular checkpoints and Garda presence . Lots of new people in the area too. Locals are friendly and helpful and generally help each other out. Short walk to Kimmage, Ashleaf and 40 min walk to Town. Few nice spots for breakfast and some decent pubs. Some alotments behind the college. Nice park with plenty of activities such as cycling, running ect. No gyms nearby though.

Getting out going to work in the morning is painful though along the canals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,466 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

A family member lived on Windmill Road for 8 years. Perhaps they were just unlucky but they had a number of bad experiences:
    • Were burgled
    • Had their car tyres slashed
    • Woke up one morning to find the guards in their back garden (they were carrying out a raid on the next-door neighbour's house)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

My parents now my 84 year old mum lives on Kildare road on her own and have never had any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 flutterberry

I’m considering buying a house on Kildare road, one of the cul de sacs. Just wondering if anyone has any opinions/advice?

I live on Kildare road near the windmill road junction. Never had any issues there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Keelin84

Hi there. Im currently looking at buying a house on Brickfield Drive - towards the pedestrian access to Crumlin Road. I know that city areas will always be a mixed bag, but wondered if anyone knew anything about that specific area? thanks!

I don’t know the specific area. More drimnagh or Rialto. Proximity to luas and town is good. Crumlin has improved and gentrified to certain extent. I’ve never had problems while living in crumlin.

You are paying top end of the market there. 460 is a lot of money for 3 bed in crumlin but looks nice inside. You are paying for the development potential though as it has FPP

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Keelin84

that's helpful - thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 coecrist

Hi,
    I'm considering to buy a house in Crumlin in Clonmacnoise road. How is the district? Any recommendations?

Area is great! Other than that do your own research and don’t resurrect old threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Evil_g

What's wrong with resurrecting old threads? I'm subscribed to this, so think it would be better to keep the conversation in one place.

• Advertisement

It’s against the forum rules

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

please leave the moderation to the mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Evil_g

It’s against the forum rules

I'm pretty sure it's not. It's explicitly invited in the first line of the charter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Crumlin can be great. I looked there extensively, but ended up buying elsewhere. If you are focused on a particular house, park there over night and observe the area and don't be afraid to introduce yourself to the neighbors. As you would do anywhere.

Kimmage is a premium address in that area, and I found some ****ing awesome cottages in Drimnagh that I was willing to loose my shirt on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

A family member lived on Windmill Road for 8 years. Perhaps they were just unlucky but they had a number of bad experiences:
    • Were burgled
    • Had their car tyres slashed
    • Woke up one morning to find the guards in their back garden (they were carrying out a raid on the next-door neighbour's house)

Windmill road has or had until recently some very notarious criminals living there. Nice looking road, but I wouldn’t take a house there for free with neighbours like those.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Clogher Road down towards the canal are some of the best value houses in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bo36

I would agree with the other posters here, a good recon of the area before you commit is vital. Visit in the late evenings and weekends. Estate agents tend to do all the viewings in the area on Saturday Mornings which doesn't really give the true picture of the area IMO.

There are some great areas in Drimnagh/Crumlin - but obviously its proximity to Dublin City comes with its own advantages and disadvantages.

I would say another key thing to do is to call into the neighbors. You can buy the cover sheet of the property deeds on landirect.ie to see who owns the houses next door etc. A good look at their back gardens/google maps etc will give you an indication as to what they will be like to live next door to!

Once you do find that place you want to call home, a good house alarm is a requirement- get that installed day 1- and even if there is one already installed get a new outside box/outside lights installed. We have lived in Drimnagh now for 2+ years, and really have not had any issues to call out. Granted parking is a nightmare on occasion and there does tend to be groups of kids around green areas etc, but you will get that in any estate.

Best of luck with your purchases folks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭Treppen

Windmill road has or had until recently some very notarious criminals living there. Nice looking road, but I wouldn’t take a house there for free with neighbours like those.

Yes and no, the people involved are practically gone... in one form or another.

But yes there is a an enclave of relatives at one end, towards the Texaco.

From the swimming pool up is grand...

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Lived for almost 11 years in Crumlin (Monasterboice Road and Kildare Road torwards the Bingo hall) until we bought a house somewhere else.

For the most part I loved living there as everything is close by and it's only a stone throw from town. 99% of the neighbours are very friendly people and also took pride in their property / neighbourhood.

Unfortunately there was a bit of anti-social behaviour from some scrotes in two council houses who were eventually kicked out.

I lived closeby the known criminals but they don't bother you. The usual tracksuit knackers are the ones who are giving you grief when they roam the place in large groups (which happens quite rarely).

So overall it's a great quite area within easy reach of town. We would have bought there as well but we purchased a new house (which is twice the size of the old house) albeit on the outskirts of Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 asdfg1234

Hi,

I'm considering buying in Drimnagh, I'm happy with the area (although not perfect) and the neighbours, but where I'm buying is very close to the childrens hospital. Does it get noisy there at night with frequent ambulances. I know there is a new children's hospital going to be built, but I'm just wondering is anyone kept awake now with ambulances.

Advertisement