Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Clearing a classic before Brexit

• 29-08-2019 7:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭

I have a nearly 50yr old rolling classic waiting to be restored tucked in the back of my shed for the last 14 or 15 years that I never cleared.

Figure I'd better do something before the Boris train wreck. Will the VRT office be happy with my two hundred notes if I present it now, bearing in mind it's a 300% mark up on what I would have paid ;)?

Or will I asked for proof of entry into the state?

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I,ll be watching this thread with interest, as I'm in a similar position
    with a classic car I'm thinking of buying.

It was brought in from the states with all the correct paperwork, apparently.

But was never vrt'd at the time.

So i too would be interested in any possible issues on the horizon

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭w124man

Can the car be driven and is it road legal? If no to either question then you cant VRT it. Its all on the NCTS site

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭Justjens

w124man wrote: »
    Can the car be driven and is it road legal? If no to either question then you cant VRT it. Its all on the NCTS site

No and no. Could possibly get it running but it wouldn't be pretty!!

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭JP 1800

I am in a similar predicament. I bought a restoration project a few years ago and tried to VRT the car. I brought it up to the NCT center on the back of a trailer and they refused to vrt the car. I was told to have the car complete and driving before I could VRT the vehicle. I am now scrambling to complete the car to get the vrt done. Like the other poster my car will be different colours of body panel with visible welds and skims of filler. I can imagine there will be late penalties also as I will be very late paying the VRT. A ridiculous system to have in place when the earlier revenue run system was a simpler procedure.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

JP 1800 wrote: »
    I am in a similar predicament. I bought a restoration project a few years ago and tried to VRT the car. I brought it up to the NCT center on the back of a trailer and they refused to vrt the car. I was told to have the car complete and driving before I could VRT the vehicle. I am now scrambling to complete the car to get the vrt done. Like the other poster my car will be different colours of body panel with visible welds and skims of filler. I can imagine there will be late penalties also as I will be very late paying the VRT. A ridiculous system to have in place when the earlier revenue run system was a simpler procedure.

the earlier system was quite lax,( I heard of a guy who VRTd a car before import and brought it in taxed with the new plates up). In your case, I think you'd better "sell" the car to someone and get them to VRT it to avoid penalties.

• Advertisement

Isambard wrote: »
    t
    I think you'd better "sell" the car to someone and get them to VRT it to avoid penalties.

You would have to sell it to someone either in the UK or NI and then 're-import' it.

Justjens wrote: »
    You would have to sell it to someone either in the UK or NI and then 're-import' it.

There might be implications if the MOT was out by a long way. This is one of the parameters they use

car in OP MoT exempt.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Does it have to be driving, or will engine running be sufficient for VRT.

kadman wrote: »
    Does it have to be driving, or will engine running be sufficient for VRT.

probably depends on the tester. I've heard cases where the tester wants the car driven off the trailer, so may be a good idea to take it off yourself in advance. I doubt they'll drive it, probably just needs to look complete.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Vwsham

probably depends on the tester. I've heard cases where the tester wants the car driven off the trailer, so may be a good idea to take it off yourself in advance. I doubt they'll drive it, probably just needs to look complete.

I’m so glad I cleared my car 9-10 years ago. Only cost me €50, just needed the logbook. Didn’t need to see the car or anything. Wow, certainly look like things have tightened up since.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

If you had a 33 year old car with the first two pages of the V5 only ( as was all that you got when buying back then) that was exported from the UK to Ireland in 2007 as a project car but never registered in ireland. Would you have any issues registering it here now with only the first two pages of the V5 ?

I don't want info on penalties and fines and 10 days to register in the state , I'm aware of all that .

DVLA wont issue Cert of export anymore and to get a replacement V5 the car would have to be reimported to the UK.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

First sheet/two pages is the important bit with all the data (Sections 1-8). The last sheet is just tear off slips for export/UK new keeper receipt (and on really old ones scrap noticification). Should have no issue registering with just that.

Heading in for VRT in the morning.......fingers crossed:)

TR6.jpg

DSC_0096[1].jpg

Good luck, let us know how you get on. I need to get the glass in and do a shake down on my own.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

If you brought it to NCT, and it's on the system, there's no set time inside which you have to have it restored by afaik, so why is there a clock running?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

The car has not been registered hence still on UK plates as they would not accept it has a road worthy vehicle at the time.

The car has not been registered hence still on UK plates as they would not accept it has a road worthy vehicle at the time.

That I understand: but you presented it to them: it's they not VRT-ing it, not you. Did you not get it 'on the record' ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Not on record per se, but I have the original documents I submitted. The VRT receipt is just a generic address and statistical code.

galwaytt wrote: »
    If you brought it to NCT, and it's on the system, there's no set time inside which you have to have it restored by afaik, so why is there a clock running?

Brexit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Brexit

But if its in the state before brexit you won't be liable for vat and import duty.

Car99 wrote: »
    But if its in the state before brexit you won't be liable for vat and import duty.

no one knows. I was just explaining the haste.

Well it wasn't all bad!!

After his initial reservations with a 'receipt' from NI and a V5 from UK, his threat was having to pay road tax back to when it last expired, 1996 :D:D

On inspecting the car which I had parked noisily in a jam packed car park, I had to unload on the road, he searched for a VIN. He never asked to see or hear the car move.

There was no way he would accept the plate riveted to the LH inner front wing was all that Triumph put on their cars.

I followed him back to the office where he gave me all my paperwork back and he said if I got a letter from a recognised Irish car club stating that there is no VIN stamped on the chassis he will get clear the car.....

Happy days, spoke to the club chairman, there's a meeting Friday and I'll have my letter :D:D:D

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

There was no way he would accept the plate riveted to the LH inner front wing was all that Triumph put on their cars.

[snip]

and he said if I got a letter from a recognised Irish car club stating that there is no VIN stamped on the chassis he will get clear the car.....

I remember reading years ago that some folk were having issues re-registering in France in such circumstances.

At least there is the letter option. The other would be knowing the (nonsense) requirement in advance and getting the punch set out and get hammering!

ST-13103__1.jpg

On inspecting the car which I had parked noisily in a jam packed car park, I had to unload on the road, he searched for a VIN. He never asked to see or hear the car move.

How on earth after all this time, and all thousands of old cars that have come into this country since...well, forever, can people 'in the industry' (which NCT is) not know that VIN no's on chassis are actually a fairly recent innovation and was by no means standard at all for most until after 1981.

How can they not know this ??

Ode To The Motorist

macplaxton wrote: »
    I remember reading years ago that some folk were having issues re-registering in France in such circumstances.

At least there is the letter option. The other would be knowing the (nonsense) requirement in advance and getting the punch set out and get hammering!

ST-13103__1.jpg

I have one of them but imagine if he did know what to look for and found a lovely clean set of numbers :P
    How on earth after all this time, and all thousands of old cars that have come into this country since...well, forever, can people 'in the industry' (which NCT is) not know that VIN no's on chassis are actually a fairly recent innovation and was by no means standard at all for most until after 1981.

He tried to tell me that Triumph only riveted VIN plates on to their fibreglass cars :eek::eek:

jobsworth!

The people at the NCT office that do this work are civil servants not petrolheads or employees of the NCTS. Its a pensionable job, nothing more. The civil service is a place where people who have less than two brain cells go to get a job. Politicians are people who have more than two (but less than three) brain cells and we let them make and enforce the rules.

Puzzling isn't it?

is the NCTS not a private company?

• Advertisement

is the NCTS not a private company?

correct: NCTS are not the civil service

Ode To The Motorist

Advertisement