Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Porsche Taycan

• 01-10-2019 9:22pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Porsche Taycan

94629064-4972-46e3-9440-7b5d6a44ce79.jpg

0-100: 2.6s
    0-160: 5.3s
    0-200: 8.4s
    0-250: 13.0s

As quick as a €1,000,000 limited edition Ferrari LaFerrari and costs €2 per 100km on night rate electricity :)

Anyone here ordering one?

2 speed gearbox makes some difference after 140km/h, it pulls like a McLaren and it weights 2200kg

All performance cars will be electrified very soon, power delivery can't be matched by petrol anymore

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Crazy weight though. 2.2 tons! BMW i8 much lighter so id imagine the BMW would be more fun in the corners. Lovely looking car though.

Crazy speeds are not so practical in this day and age with the war on speed, so I find their appeal limited in that regard also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Mike9832

Andrewf20 wrote: »
    Crazy weight though. 2.2 tons! BMW i8 much lighter so id imagine the BMW would be more fun in the corners. Lovely looking car though.

It's even heavier, got weight wrong

2,358kg

The performance at that weight is mind blowing, it's the weight of transit van

A Mclaren 720s weights 900kg less with the same bhp more or less and this thing hangs with it all the way up to 180km/h

• Registered Users Posts: 64,702 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Mike9832 wrote: »
    The performance at that weight is mind blowing, it's the weight of transit van

The current transit van is under 2 tonnes

68uyeznbw2aj_480.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Its a very interesting car. I kinda want to see a EV 911 before your can say sports cars are now truely electric.The Taycan is more a full electic smaller Panamera Hybrid.

I emailed Porsche Center looking for an allocation on a Taycan a few months ago...no reply. That was before I saw the price....This high perofrmance Taycan is twice the price of the Model S with the model s having better performance....the regular turbo Taycan twice the price of a model 3 with the same performance.

We have also yet to see a Taycan around a track.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭redlead

Porsche Taycan

94629064-4972-46e3-9440-7b5d6a44ce79.jpg

Anyone here ordering one?

Yes................... if I win the euromillions tonight!

Its an amazing looking car inside and out. The range is the only disappointing part considering there is such a big battery in it but at that weight and with that performance it somewhat explains it.

• Advertisement

Its a very interesting car. I kinda want to see a EV 911 before your can say sports cars are now truely electric.The Taycan is more a full electic smaller Panamera Hybrid.

I emailed Porsche Center looking for an allocation on a Taycan a few months ago...no reply. That was before I saw the price....This high perofrmance Taycan is twice the price of the Model S with the model s having better performance....the regular turbo Taycan twice the price of a model 3 with the same performance.

Model S better performance ?

Have you watched that video?

No Tesla accelerates like the Taycan, look at it's 0-250, it's like 13 seconds

P100D ( fastest Tesla ) takes forever to get to 250, well over 20 seconds, after 100km/h it's nothing special

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

If they had launched with the cheaper ones then maybe, but for me by launching only the higher-end models first what they have done is invited Panamera buyers to buy electric, not invite Tesla/eTron buyers to buy a Porsche.

I guess if they didn't already have a 2-year full order book that would have been a very bad business decision..... which proves the value of my opinion

catharsis wrote: »
    If they had launched with the cheaper ones then maybe, but for me by launching only the higher-end models first what they have done is invited Panamera buyers to buy electric, not invite Tesla/eTron buyers to buy a Porsche.

I guess if they didn't already have a 2-year full order book that would have been a very bad business decision..... which proves the value of my opinion

Its Porsche man

If you want a cheaper one, buy an Audi

Its done the ring

7:42

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭catharsis

Its Porsche man

If you want a cheaper one, buy an Audi

To be clear there were 4 announced models 3 of which they originally said were being released at Frankfurt, and for which they gave out guide pricing.

At some point the Taycan and Taycan S disappeared and only the Taycan Turbo and the Taycan Turbo S (which was not originally promised at frankfurt or in 2019, unlike the other 3) were revealed.

But there will be 4 Taycan models, and I would be quite happy with a Taycan without a turbo.

• Advertisement

The use of the word "turbo" in the official name of the Taycan is the work of imbeciles.

One of the worlds greatest in automotive history of the past 50 years was Ferdinand Piëch, who passed away suddenly a few weeks ago, seemingly from a heart attack. Not even a mention of his passing on the main motors forum :rolleyes:

More than most of the old crowd in VAG / Porsche, he was very much moving on to full EVs. He had started a very promising looking EV setup with his son. It launched at Geneva earlier this year:

Matk_Zero_red.jpg

I just hope his heart attack wasn't caused in any way by this new naming strategy from Porsche :(

• Registered Users Posts: 21,318 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

Too heavy
    Charges too slow (in terms of range added)
    Short range.
    P100D Ludicrous is a better option.

The only benefit to a Taycan is the acceleration in the second gearbox range above 140-150 km/h. Which you are not likely to ever use.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,008 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I've always found the Panamera repulsive, it's a real "global car", i.e. designed for China.

This is lovely by comparison.

It isn't a true sports car though, in the same way as a Model 3 isn't. Maybe the whole idea of an sports car is anachronistic with EVs. Torque everywhere, no gears (ignoring the Taycan hack), 2 tonne weight. Where is the delicacy and interactivity?

It's like every performance car is going to be a Nissan GTR.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Lumen wrote: »
    I've always found the Panamera repulsive, it's a real "global car", i.e. designed for China.

I would have thought it was designed for people who want a Porsche but also need a car that will take the family

Model S better performance ?

Have you watched that video?

No Tesla accelerates like the Taycan, look at it's 0-250, it's like 13 seconds

P100D ( fastest Tesla ) takes forever to get to 250, well over 20 seconds, after 100km/h it's nothing special

I have watched P100d monster Huricanes and M5's and 911 Turbo S on dragstrips....I suppose for TWICE the price the porsche should have some advantages, would be nicer if they were ones you could actually use.
    Its done the ring

7:42

Nope....preproduction only. Need to see production car times yet. If thats the case the Model S plaid did 7:20.

ted1 wrote: »
    I would have thought it was designed for people who want a Porsche but also need a car that will take the family
    That would be the Macan, surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,138 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Seems awfully expensive and has crap range. The numbers are great but you can’t use it like that on public roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,233 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Lumen wrote: »
    That would be the Macan, surely?

Not many people grew up wishing they had a Porsche SUV. They would have wanted a 911 or similar. Which is closer to the pan.

Not many people grew up wishing they had a Porsche SUV. They would have wanted a 911 or similar. Which is closer to the pan.

There is a all electric 911 coming. That will be the defining car of this new EV era, espically if they can retain the things that makes the 911 a classic.

I think when a 60 grand Tesla model 3 can do 3.2s 0-60mph that shaving half a second off that for an extra 150+ grand is nothing to shout about. I want to know how does it handle?....whats on track range?. Seeing as this is the first of a generation is the tech reliable? What makes it worth so much over its Tesla rivals.

EV redefine performance stats, and IMHO the performance stats are becoming and irrelevance. I find after 3 or 4 launches at that sort of speed I feel a bit sick, and its impossible get up to high speeds on public roads.

I good try by porsche but I am yet to be impressed knowing the stats its rivals have had since 2012.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

ELM327 wrote: »
    Too heavy
    Charges too slow (in terms of range added)
    Short range.
    P100D Ludicrous is a better option.

The only benefit to a Taycan is the acceleration in the second gearbox range above 140-150 km/h. Which you are not likely to ever use.

Are you extracting the urine? It can charge at 260kw+ and can go from 0% to 80% in just over 20 minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYpk2e9ap3k

• Advertisement

RedorDead wrote: »
    Are you extracting the urine? It can charge at 260kw+ and can go from 0% to 80% in just over 20 minutes.

I would have been of the same opinion until I sat down and understood that charging does not happen at a constant rate, and that efficienty play a big part in range added. Its a deep dive but check out this video and this is the important chart. A Model 3 makes the Tycan seem very poor, again for the price (you could have 4 model 3's for the price of a top of the line Taycan). Its easy allow the marketing fluff throw you off on this, charging is a complex multi factor process. In the same 20 minutes the Tycan gets 300km range a model 3 gets over 375km....thats a big delta. Still good, but nothing to shout about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=649&v=e5jasmq1fYo

RedorDead wrote: »

260kW is great but due to crap efficiency and short range, it doesnt add that many kilometers. The model 3 adds more range in shorter time.

Also at 800v it should charge much faster!

But the Panamera is just fugly. That's my point.

The Macan has a lovely arse, whereas the Panamera looks like a dog taking a dump.

There is a all electric 911 coming. That will be the defining car of this new EV era, espically if they can retain the things that makes the 911 a classic.

I think when a 60 grand Tesla model 3 can do 3.2s 0-60mph that shaving half a second off that for an extra 150+ grand is nothing to shout about. I want to know how does it handle?....whats on track range?. Seeing as this is the first of a generation is the tech reliable? What makes it worth so much over its Tesla rivals.

EV redefine performance stats, and IMHO the performance stats are becoming and irrelevance. I find after 3 or 4 launches at that sort of speed I feel a bit sick, and its impossible get up to high speeds on public roads.

I good try by porsche but I am yet to be impressed knowing the stats its rivals have had since 2012.

Its a Porsche

Tesla is made like a Dacia in comparison, made by yanks

P100D is nothing but a muscle car, good up to 1/4 mile, after that it's done and gets blown away by proper performance cars, it's top end power is awful

Dont get your stats since 2012?

Who cares about range, these are performance saloons

P100D overheats, cant go around a track like the ring without limp mode, pulls like a Golf Gti past 100mph with its single speed gearbox

Taycan has no such issues and isn't a one tricky pony 0-60 mph muscle car like Teslas are

Its like 10 seconds faster to 155mph than a P100D and can go around tracks

The Tesla Plaid that went around the ring wont see production, Tesla have no history making track cars

If we just used 0-60 mph 2.5 secs etc as a metric of performance , then F1 cars look rubbish, they can barely manage that :)

They then go onto 0-186mph in under 10 secs

Money being no object I'd have this Porsche anyday over a Tesla

• Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭copeyhagen

Its a Porsche

P100D is nothing but a muscle car, good up to 1/4 mile, after that it's done and gets blown away by proper performance cars, it's top end power is awful

Who cares about range, these are performance saloons, its got enough range

P100D overheats, cant go around a track like the ring without limp mode, pulls like a Golf Gti past 100mph with its single speed gearbox

Taycan has no such issues and isn't a one tricky pony 0-60 mph muscle car like Teslas are

Its like 10 seconds faster to 155mph than a P100D and can go around tracks, it's way faster

The Tesla Plaid that went around the ring wont see production, Tesla have no history making track cars

If we just used 0-60 mph 2.5 secs etc as a metric of performance , then F1 cars look rubbish, they can barely manage that :)

the fact youre even comparing the two shows how impressive the tesla is.

the model s is a family saloon that happens to have a lot of power
    the taycan is a full on sportscar, chalk and cheese if you ask me.

also ,the model s plaid gimped the taycans lap by 20 seconds around the ring? and has already been confirmed (afaik) as being next years upgraded model s production.

Its a Porsche
    Yep, I have owned a 911 and can tell you that Porsche quality is a myth, they have plenty of issues and major mechanical flaws. However they are a good performance car and have good branding. Remember that only the 911 and Caymen are good to dive...the rest of the range just lives off the halo.
    A rather old fashioned view, the quality of the Model 3 is miles above the original Model s and Tesla is regularly close to the top of reliability and safety tests.
    Top end power is not woeful, its excellent. But its not as good as cars twice its price. Its the gearing (or lack of gearing). Its designed for fast starts and not of speeds after the 1/4 mile.
    Original Model S p100d was launched in 2012. Its an 8 year old car, the fact that there can be arguments with a brand new Porsche for twice the price is amazing.
    Who cares about range, these are performance saloons, its got enough range
    On track range has yet to be tested, and range is important in and EV. You need to know that if you drive fast for 10 minutes that you dont cut your range in half and can get home. I agree its not the be all and end all, and I would be more forgiving of a EV 911, but this is a 4 door saloon car so its multi functional.

Model 3 P doesnt.....and its cheaper. I actually think the model 3 p is more of a rival if handling and performance are what you after. At a 1/4 the price.

Well what is its other trick? No range, charging is fast but adds no range, 0-60 not as fast as a tesla, none of the tesla gagets, massive price, fussy interior is 5 fecking screens. As yet un reviewed driving dynamics and track times.
    Its like 10 seconds faster to 155mph than a P100D and can go around tracks, it's way faster
    Model S Plaid is announced and monsters it around tracks.
    You need to do your research before posting. Took me 1 minute find this.
    Plaid-Tweet.png
    Thats why I think its a silly metric as I said in the post you quoted.
    Well thats useful where...not on the road, the drag strip, and not on the track.
    So would I, but money is an object, and also the Model S plaid put the spanner in the works, it would be launched by the time the Taycan ships to customers. I dont know how keen I would be to buy the first generation of a Porsche EV given the reliability issues Porsche has with ICE cars they have build for 90 years. You have to consider a cars price with the rivals. You could have pretty much any can you want for the cost of a fully specced Turbo S taycan, likely €250k in ireland.

Look I think the Taycan is great. Nice and conventional, super expensive. But the stats are disappointing as somebody who wanted a allocation on a Taycan. There was a change of battery manufacturer 3 times during production which makes me very nervous. I look forward to a proper review of the Taycan...but at the moment, I am unconvinced. Open to change my mind, but I am not a fanboy and go with the evidence.

Model being no object I'd have a model X P100DL raven. Wouldnt go near the taycan.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

lolz; isn't that what a 911 is ?? :D :pac::pac:

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,751 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Yep, I have owned a 911 and can tell you that Porsche quality is a myth, they have plenty of issues and major mechanical flaws. However they are a good performance car and have good branding. Remember that only the 911 and Caymen are good to dive...the rest of the range just lives off the halo.

A rather old fashioned view, the quality of the Model 3 is miles above the original Model s and Tesla is regularly close to the top of reliability and safety tests.

Top end power is not woeful, its excellent. But its not as good as cars twice its price. Its the gearing (or lack of gearing). Its designed for fast starts and not of speeds after the 1/4 mile.

Original Model S p100d was launched in 2012. Its an 8 year old car, the fact that there can be arguments with a brand new Porsche for twice the price is amazing.

On track range has yet to be tested, and range is important in and EV. You need to know that if you drive fast for 10 minutes that you dont cut your range in half and can get home. I agree its not the be all and end all, and I would be more forgiving of a EV 911, but this is a 4 door saloon car so its multi functional.

Model 3 P doesnt.....and its cheaper. I actually think the model 3 p is more of a rival if handling and performance are what you after. At a 1/4 the price.

Well what is its other trick? No range, charging is fast but adds no range, 0-60 not as fast as a tesla, none of the tesla gagets, massive price, fussy interior is 5 fecking screens. As yet un reviewed driving dynamics and track times.

Model S Plaid is announced and monsters it around tracks.

You need to do your research before posting. Took me 1 minute find this.
    Plaid-Tweet.png

Thats why I think its a silly metric as I said in the post you quoted.

Well thats useful where...not on the road, the drag strip, and not on the track.

So would I, but money is an object, and also the Model S plaid put the spanner in the works, it would be launched by the time the Taycan ships to customers. I dont know how keen I would be to buy the first generation of a Porsche EV given the reliability issues Porsche has with ICE cars they have build for 90 years. You have to consider a cars price with the rivals. You could have pretty much any can you want for the cost of a fully specced Turbo S taycan, likely €250k in ireland.

Look I think the Taycan is great. Nice and conventional, super expensive. But the stats are disappointing as somebody who wanted a allocation on a Taycan. There was a change of battery manufacturer 3 times during production which makes me very nervous. I look forward to a proper review of the Taycan...but at the moment, I am unconvinced. Open to change my mind, but I am not a fanboy and go with the evidence.

All well & good, and I have a very large 5-figure repair bill for my 996 in my recent past, so whilst a marque fan, I'm not blinded to their weaknesses..

That said, Tesla's issue for me is: durablility and quality (paint, panels, NVH, trim) - whether you like Porsche's or not, the fact is they have an actual grounding in car manufacture, now with added tech. They even pioneered body galvanising.

Tesla's otoh are a Tech company....with car manufacture added. I know what a 10-20 yr old Porche with 6-figure mileage is like on our roads, in our climate. The Tesla is still unproven in that regard.

I think discussion about ultimate performance, acceleration are largely academic at the very high level both are at. Neither will influence your trip down to Lidl or Tesco .

Both are big money, so it is a very First World Problem in either case.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

Remember that only the 911 and Caymen are good to dive...the rest of the range just lives off the halo.

Assuming you are only talking about Porsches from say the last two decades, aren't you missing a car in that list? :p
    I have owned a 911 and can tell you that Porsche quality is a myth, they have plenty of issues and major mechanical flaws.

Build quality of modern Porsches is extremely high. They have had one major flaw (IMS bearing) in the flat 6 engine that went into all the 911 / Cayman / Boxster of a whole generation which wrecked a lot of engines. I wouldn't call it plenty of issues and major mechanical flaws. These cars are meant to be driven hard and they are well able for it.

Advertisement