Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Alberto Salazar banned for 4 years

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭echat

Chivito550 wrote: »
    Setting up a new thread so it doesn't destroy the World Championships thread and because it's worthy of its own topic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/athletics/49882757?__twitter_impression=true

Not great timing for this to be announced with the World championships on and presenting us with bizarre things like midnight marathons. It took a very long time for the investigation to be completed and NIKE appear to have supported their project the whole way.

I would prefer to see a new person leading the IAAF and related bodies as the British/American/Australian/Canadian grouping is too arrogant and political.

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Not at all surprising, this now puts a question mark on all NOP athletes. Feel sorry for any clean athlete (if any) in that group.
    Will be interesting to see what Nike do now if the appeal fails

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭echat

On reflection maybe the timing was deliberate in the hope that news from Doha would get preference and this would get less notice. Raises questions and huge disappointments for athletes who missed out on medals.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Isn't that where Coleman was when he missed one of his drug tests ?

Anyway.

CEO of Nike to Salazar in an email after Salazar informed him of an experiment rubbing Androgel on his son to determine how much would trigger a positive test:

“Jeff, Thanks for the update on the tests. It will be interesting to determine the minimal amount of topical male hormone required to create a positive test. Are there other topical hormones that would create more dramatic results . . . or other substances that would accelerate the rate of absorption into the body?”

There will be a lot of clambering to interview Sifan Hassan and Clayton Murphy at Doha this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,895 ✭✭✭Sacksian

Really satisfying to see this. It may be bit like cutting a head off a hydra, but at least it shows that the sport is willing to tackle practices that undermine its integrity.

If you look back at some of the most high-profile doping abuses in US sport in recent years (Lance Armstrong, Salazar, Marion Jones, Justin Gatlin, Alex Rodriguez), there's a common denominator and Nike should see some of the fallout from this. Some of the stuff they've pulled over the years, with the USATF, athlete's contracts, etc, shows they're not interested in the health of the sport or even their own athletes. I'll continue my own Nike boycott (think there are a couple of others who do the same).

p.s. And I hope the Vaporfly's go with them!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

Doubts about all his athletes. Farah been in the shower and not hearing the testers
    Give me a break.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Ceepo

A bitter sweet day for athletics.
    I have followed Athletics for more years that I care to remember. And days like this give the "knockers" more sh*t to throw.

But make no mistake this is a good day for Athletics. When you have guys like him banned.
    This only proves that Athletics are at least trying to clean up the sport. Salazar is a huge name, back by Nike, who no doubt make huge investments in Athletes and Athletics. And as such I feared this day wouldn't come..

I certainly casts bigger shadow over Radcliffe Mo Farah, Rupp, Hassan etc etc.

Hopefully the reason USADA took so long was to make the case against him water tight. Salazar and his ilk have no place in Athletics.

It's a great day for Athletics

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The panel determined that Salazar committed the following violations of the Code:

-Administration of a Prohibited Method (with respect to an infusion in excess of the applicable limit),
    -Tampering and/or attempted tampering with NOP athletes’ doping control process, and
    -Trafficking and/or Attempted Trafficking of testosterone.

The panel determined that Brown violated anti-doping rules by:

-Tampering with L-carnitine records under WADA (World Anti-Doping Agency) Code Art. 2.5 (2009 & 2015), which carries a sanction of 2 years WADA Code Art. 10.3.1 (2009), and 4 years under WADA Code Art. 10.3.1 (2015).
    -Administration of an over-limit L-carnitine infusion under WADA Code Art. 2.8 (2009 & 2015), which carries a minimum sanction of 4 years up to a maximum lifetime ban under WADA Code Art. 10.3.2 (2009) and WADA Code Art. 10.3.3 (2015).
    -Complicity in Salazar’s trafficking of testosterone under WADA Code Art. 2.8 (2009) and WADA Code Art. 2.9 (2015). Under WADA Code Art. 10.3.2 (2009), a complicity violation carries a minimum sanction of 4 years up to a maximum lifetime ban. Under WADA Code Art. 10.3.4 (2015), a complicity violation carries a sanction of 2 to 4 years.

Will they know which athletes were involved in this ?

Will never understand Hassan moves to Salazar after her reaction to Genzebe Dibaba in the indoors.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

The knock on effect has impacted many athletes, how many have missed out on invites to meetings to assisit their development, missed out on qualifiying for championships, championship medals, lucrative contracts, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Ceepo wrote: »
    A bitter sweet day for athletics.
    I have followed Athletics for more years that I care to remember. And days like this give the "knockers" more sh*t to throw.

Facts to throw, and the derogatory term of knockers is a bizarre term to be using considering everything we know and that has been proven.

When a high profile coach, knowing his athletes, is banned you don't want to be immediately on the defensive. It's not a good look.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 chief orman

Hurrache wrote: »
    Facts to throw, and the derogatory term of knockers is a bizarre term to be using considering everything we know and that has been proven.

When a high profile coach, knowing his athletes, is banned you don't want to be immediately on the defensive. It's not a good look.

I think it is a great day for athletics as it is facing up to the problem and will overcome it. Contrast this to Rugby where the blazers & ex players just stick their heads in the sand and deny there is a problem in their game.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,146 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

I think it is a great day for athletics as it is facing up to the problem and will overcome it. Contrast this to Rugby where the blazers & ex players just stick their heads in the sand and deny there is a problem in their game.

Straight from the distraction play book, "but look over there....".

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭nannerby

Didn't take long to start deflecting.

Of course you're right.. facts to throw..
    Maybe I wasnt clear enough when I used the term knockers. I was referring to the people who like to knock Athletics while burying their head in the sand about other sports. I'm certainly not as you put it "on the defensive ". For the record I'm delight that Salazar has been banned, and if there is evidence that his athletes doped, I'd hope they are banned also. We can speculate about athletes he has coached having been plucked for also runners to world beaters but that's not enough to have them banned..
    We all know theres a drug problem in Athletics. Nobody on here would dispute that..
    I wasnt trying to deflect by mentioning other sports that bury there head in the sand and refuse to believe PEDs dont exist in other sports.

As I also point out, that's it's a good day for Athletics. While the powers to be might be fighting a up hill battle, it's a battle that they're not afraid to take on. At the very least they're proactive it trying to clean it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Only nobody ever looks over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

nannerby wrote: »
    Didn't take long to start deflecting.

You'r deflecting the deflection.

• Site Banned Posts: 97 ✭✭SelmaHayek

Will more emerge about the athletes caught up in this? Evidence on who was doping?

I can name one for sure who was doping

Every athlete involved needs ti be looked at. When lance was at it nearly the whole team new. Id say its similar in this case.

I can name one for sure who was doping

Take a MOment to check the charter before you name anyone ;)

• Advertisement

Love to know the real reason for farahs two missed tests before the olympics. Id have a good guess

Not naming anyone. Dont think its rocket science. I think most people know just havnt got the proff yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Mo Farah's association with Salazar will have to come under increased scrutiny now as will his sudden improvement at the time of this relationship beginning.

Haile gebreselassie will be smiling given what transpired here

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/apr/24/sir-mo-farah-attacks-haile-gebrselassie-over-ethiopia-hotel-theft

Totally. Improvements. Missing drug tests. Galand ruth found to be on a doping program. Salazar banned. Whole thing stinks.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

The only sad thing about it so far is the ban, it should be for life

Distraction. How is it distraction? The op said it was a good day for Athletics. Why, because it had handed down a ban to one of the most prominent coaches of the last 10 years. Proactively trying to clean up the sport.

They didn't try hide or deny that there's a ped problem in Athletics.

Pointing out that other sports refuse to believe that they have ped issues is not a distraction to the topic here.. it is a fact

Sorry. Double post

• Site Banned Posts: 97 ✭✭SelmaHayek

Ceepo wrote: »
    Distraction. How is it distraction? The op said it was a good day for Athletics. Why, because it had handed down a ban to one of the most prominent coaches of the last 10 years. Proactively trying to clean up the sport.

They didn't try hide or deny that there's a ped problem in Athletics.

Pointing out that other sports refuse to believe that they have ped issues is not a distraction to the topic here.. it is a fact

Or maybe other sports are cleaner?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

SelmaHayek wrote: »
    Or maybe other sports are cleaner?

Nobody is this naive surely?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement