Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Best Golf Coach in Dublin

• 05-04-2017 11:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi lads, I'm new to boards was suggested by a work colleague to join this to see could I find some suggestions to fix my awful golf game. My Friend has given me a name for a guy called Eoin Gibbons in Kinsealy, he's been with him a few months now and from what I can get from his website he used to teach in kildare and waterford, in fairness he has a lot of results up on his website along with a fair few good testimonials. Im just wondering has anyone been to him and what is he like or have you any recommendations? My playing partners that I usually play with on a sunday go to Brendan mcdaid and shane o Grady. I have been to a fair few coaches but no one has fixed my big left to right slice . Any feedback be great as well as other suggestions thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

To be honest any Pro should be able to fix a slice it's the most common fault.
    It maybe the pupil not the teacher.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

It's a very subjective question - I know when I resumed golf a few years ago and I sought opinions on which pro to go to for lessons opinion was strongly divided.

In the end, I tried 3 different pros and settled on the one who I thought suited me and what I wanted to do with my game.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 wlaffey2005

I can second the suggestion of Eoin Gibbons in Kinsealy. I took the game up in June 2015 as a way of spending time with family members who play quite regularly. I was working at the time in Naas and came into contact with Eoin on the range there. I have being taken lessons off him since January 2016. In that time I've drop from 26 to 16!!! Its a results business and this guy gets results. I have probably four or five friends of mine using him now and they are all raving about him. His lessons are intense but look you pay good money to be taught not have the craic with some lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

I can second the suggestion of Eoin Gibbons in Kinsealy. I took the game up in June 2015 as a way of spending time with family members who play quite regularly. I was working at the time in Naas and came into contact with Eoin on the range there. I have being taken lessons off him since January 2016. In that time I've drop from 26 to 16!!! Its a results business and this guy gets results. I have probably four or five friends of mine using him now and they are all raving about him. His lessons are intense but look you pay good money to be taught not have the craic with some lad.

Good man Eoin😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2 shooterohara

JawGap I won't ask who the 3 pros were but who did you pick in the end

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

JawGap I won't ask who the 3 pros were but who did you pick in the end

It wasn't around Dublin, I suppose I was just summarising the process I went through.

In the end I went with Mark O'Sullivan - he teaches at Bellewstown and Piltown Driving Range (he also does group lessons, which might be an option to "try before you buy).

From my own experience it seems like some pros have a fixed idea of what a good/effective swing is and want to get you to that by getting you back to first principles, which is fine if you're new to the game or are happy to go through the months of work necessary to break down your swing and build it back up.....

......and the there are, what I would call "tweakers" - pros who develop your swing through a series of successive minor adjustments and you end up with something individual to yourself.

I didn't fancy wrecking myself for a few months, so took the longer view.....it's taken about 18 months, but my handicap has now started to tumble and last weekend an ex-England Schoolboys player complimented me on my "graceful" swing and ball striking.

My main issue now is distance.....I'd love to add about 10/15 metres to my drives (without giving up my accuracy).

One tip I'd give is to record your stats when you're playing.....so when you go to the pro you can tell them what, exactly, your issues might be.....missing left/right with which clubs, approx distances, ball flight......and tell him what you want, but be realistic!

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭quinney123

Hi lads, I'm new to boards was suggested by a work colleague to join this to see could I find some suggestions to fix my awful golf game. My Friend has given me a name for a guy called Eoin Gibbons in Kinsealy, he's been with him a few months now and from what I can get from his website he used to teach in kildare and waterford, in fairness he has a lot of results up on his website along with a fair few good testimonials. Im just wondering has anyone been to him and what is he like or have you any recommendations? My playing partners that I usually play with on a sunday go to Brendan mcdaid and shane o Grady. I have been to a fair few coaches but no one has fixed my big left to right slice . Any feedback be great as well as other suggestions thanks

I have never had a lesson with Eoin but i have seen him down the range and been next to him while teaching, and he seemed to know what he was talking about, he even gave me a few tips in between lessons and cured my pull after hitting 3 or 4 balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭swededmonkey

Peter O'Hagan in luttrellstown is highly recommended

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭justcallmemoses

That Eoin Gibbons guy I booked twice and he cancelled twice, ended up having one 1 hour lesson which was good, booked in again and paid for a second online but that was cancelled again so I just went to Brendan, 60 quid down the drain! He was too tired to proceed with lesson as with client at euro qualifying event, got onto him to rebook and never heard anything back

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Have actually being having lessons off Eoin for the past 2 years.
    He now has a super set up in Kinsealy and uses trackman most lessons.
    Only problem is that he is super busy, he is booked at least 2 weeks out most of the time so if anything goes wrong it can be hard for him to catch up.
    I have come down from 14 to 9. 2 mates have used him as well 22 to 16 and 16 to 12.
    He will improve u.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,041 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

How much does a average lesson cost? I presume it’s about hour per session?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

How much does a average lesson cost? I presume it’s about hour per session?

Lessons I've done before with my club pro have been 70euro for an hour. That was with trackman so maybe cheaper if you're not using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

Plus one for Eoin Gibbons.

I have been with Eoin for a while now, he has improved my game and also knowledge of the mechanics of the swing tremendously. He has Trackman and uses it to explain why the ball is doing what it is, but also has a great number of drills and lessons to help you change.

He is quite difficult to book as mentioned before, you often have to book weeks in advance. I usually buy a packages of lessons for a deal and schedule them all out a few weeks apart to give time to go to the range and work on drills he gives.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

My playing partners that I usually play with on a sunday go to..

Unmentionable name. Google "Any breach of this rule will result in an immediate site ban"

• Registered Users Posts: 27,007 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

RoadRunner wrote: »

Or just read/link the charter...?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

GreeBo wrote: »
    Or just read/link the charter...?:confused:

My way was more Dramatic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭tropics001

RoadRunner wrote: »
    My way was more Dramatic :pac:

that's hilarious. can anyone PM me the back story on that?

i've had a couple of lessons with the unmentionable and found them great.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jclack

Tried to book a lesson with Eoin and the next hour lesson that isn't during the day is on 14th November, is he worth that sort of wait? Only seems to be available Mon - Thurs with all evening slots gone until the 14th at earliest at 9pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

jclack wrote: »
    Tried to book a lesson with Eoin and the next hour lesson that isn't during the day is on 14th November, is he worth that sort of wait? Only seems to be available Mon - Thurs with all evening slots gone until the 14th at earliest at 9pm

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭jclack

gypsy79 wrote: »
    Yes

Fair enough, booked him for an hour so here's hoping he can help stop me hitting most things right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,103 ✭✭✭benny79

I had lessons with Eoin a couple of years ago when he was running my pro swing I think it was called have to say he was very hands on used to ask me when ill be in the range and then would ring me to see how I was getting on when in the range. Spend a good year with him he got me to buy loads of training aids but sadly I never improved.. Some people work for some but have to say he is a terrible nice fella glad to see he's doing well. His set up looks good in kinsealy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Anyone ever done any of the golf clinics in Carton House? Saw they have specific clinics (long game, wedges and bunkers etc...) with trackman, so you i was thinking of trying them at some point over the winter. Determined to sort out some of my game this winter, in preparation for 2020.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Alanm

Kiith wrote: »
    Anyone ever done any of the golf clinics in Carton House? Saw they have specific clinics (long game, wedges and bunkers etc...) with trackman, so you i was thinking of trying them at some point over the winter. Determined to sort out some of my game this winter, in preparation for 2020.

I did the full day clinic a few years ago and it was brilliant. Did it on a random Tuesday and there was only two of us on the day. We could dictate how long we spent on each aspect (long game/pitching/putting etc). Got loads out of it and plenty of drills/practice stuff to do. Good lunch too!

I still go back to the guy who coached it a couple of times a year if stuff is going wrong...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Alanm wrote: »
    I did the full day clinic a few years ago and it was brilliant. Did it on a random Tuesday and there was only two of us on the day. We could dictate how long we spent on each aspect (long game/pitching/putting etc). Got loads out of it and plenty of drills/practice stuff to do. Good lunch too!

I still go back to the guy who coached it a couple of times a year if stuff is going wrong...

So that’s you’re secret?!!

I’m off to book it now!!

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Alanm

charlieIRL wrote: »
    So that’s you’re secret?!!

I’m off to book it now!!

One of many Charlie... one of many!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Bottle

benny79 wrote:
    I had lessons with Eoin a couple of years ago when he was running my pro swing I think it was called have to say he was very hands on used to ask me when ill be in the range and then would ring me to see how I was getting on when in the range. Spend a good year with him he got me to buy loads of training aids but sadly I never improved.. Some people work for some but have to say he is a terrible nice fella glad to see he's doing well. His set up looks good in kinsealy.

I had pretty much the same experience with Eoin, but on top of that found the lessons very unstructured and very confusing. Each time I went back to him he had me working on different things even though I clearly had one specific issue that needed help. My wife bought me 5 x 1 hour lessons and I only used 3 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Eoin Gibbons

Hi guys, this thread was brought to my attention from a client so I joined this morning to read comments . There is some lovely comments however I see some negative responses which for me I’m disappointed with as I try teach with the same aim to make every client better and reduce there handicap . Over the past two years I have a handicap reduction rate of 95.8 percent (as I keep track of all my clients handicaps) which is one of the highest if not the highest in Ireland. In 2018 my client had the lowest professional score 62 -10, college win in America and the lowest handicap drop 25 to 5 handicap plus a number of scratch cup wins, presidents and captain prize winners. Regarding the last post, golf swings can take time to change and very hard to do it in 3 lessons and if you felt I was making changes is because I had a plan in place for the 5 lessons not just for 3 or maybe I was trying different drills or ways to help fix the issue. If This was discussed with me I would of explained why I was trying to make changes to your swing.Regarding the cancellations I apologize for the inconvenience , I hate to cancel lessons but contracts and responsibilities to tour players sometimes effect this. All bookings are online and if you want to rebook online I will offer you a few free lessons , if not you can pm me here and I’ll refund you for the one that was missed. Finally I would like to thank all of you for your comments, good n bad as I will work harder to improve these areas

Advertisement