Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Week 4 Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭MileHighGuy

I wonder what it would take to see Cousins benched? qbs have been benched for less.... Although it doesn't seem the done thing in this day and age (case keenum excepted)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,822 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

What is with Nagy, third and short, and cordarelle ****ing Patterson? Just play a simple play to get the two yards and stop being a smart arse

• Registered Users Posts: 15,168 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

What is with Nagy, third and short, and cordarelle ****ing Patterson? Just play a simple play to get the two yards and stop being a smart arse

Don't think he's ever going to change. It's failed so many times and he still does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Glorious play from Kyle Fuller. He then gets the three and out that play deserved.

16-0

I did not expect this when I saw Chase Daniel taking his first snap.

• Advertisement

It's really, really hard to believe kwit was on the roster bubble this year.

It's really, really hard to believe kwit was on the roster bubble this year.

He's the backup! Frightening!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

That Jared Goff contract isn't looking too good right now. Abysmal start to the year.

The backups on the D are playing like starters. This is phenomenal from Pagano and co.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,490 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I wonder what it would take to see Cousins benched? qbs have been benched for less.... Although it doesn't seem the done thing in this day and age (case keenum excepted)
    Well you wouldn't be benching him over his performance against the Bears, you might bench the whole offensive line though.

• Advertisement

The backups on the D are playing like starters. This is phenomenal from Pagano and co.

The backup defense absolutely mauled the Vikes in week 17 last season too :D

Of course, by beating the Vikes we let Philly into the playoffs instead of them and I'll stop talking now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Bucs to score 50 on the Rams!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭rebelyell99

It wouldn't be a Bucs game without a Jameis Winston 4th quarter pick

54 points scored by the Bucs. Mad.

Christ. I feel bad for Fangio. Another tough loss right at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Oat23 wrote: »

That was a horrible watch. Inevitable when we got the TD with so much time left on the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

Killer defeat for Denver but yeah they gave Minshew too much time to work the FG.

What about the Bucs, crazy game. If Ariens can get any sort of consistency from Winston they would be really dangerous but he is what he is at this stage you’d think.

The sacks Bridgewater has taken tonight are remarkable. Jalen Smith is the business.

I dunno how patient or otherwise the fans or organisation are, but I'd hope they stick with him, he's been pretty unlucky in some of these games, and there's clear progress in some areas. Very demoralising for him and the team though, hard to recover from that start. Give him time and they'll have a defense worthy of the personnel again. Must be hard for Fangio seeing his old defense looking even better than when he coached them...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

I dunno how patient or otherwise the fans or organisation are, but I'd hope they stick with him, he's been pretty unlucky in some of these games, and there's clear progress in some areas. Very demoralising for him and the team though, hard to recover from that start. Give him time and they'll have a defense worthy of the personnel again. Must be hard for Fangio seeing his old defense looking even better than when he coached them...

Fangio has been put in a difficult situation - a very young roster, with very little depth (thanks to Elway's inept drafting from 2013-2017) and the mainstays of the team not performing up to scratch. Add to that - an almost completely new coaching staff, new offensive and defensive schemes and a patched up OL.

While the Broncos are 0-4 they are better than their record. The team has improved each game this season, including last night. They were always going to struggle on D against the Jags with Callahan, Jackson, Wolfe out, Jewell getting hurt and Chubb struggling with a knee injury throughout the game. There was a big hole in the middle of the Broncos defence that the Jags just ran through. On top of that Miller played in the 1st half and then went missing (which he is increasingly prone to do).

Fangio's defense needs good ILBs - Elway has never valued ILBs and until they get a couple of decent ones then the Fangio defence will be somewhat limited. There are good pieces in place but a lot of rebuilding needs to be done - and, on top of that, the ownership issue is continuing to be a major problem.

By the way - there are a lot of rumours in Denver that Peyton Manning will be joining the Broncos front office.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Is MNF ready for some 0-3 vs 0-3 action from a division with a record of 4-10 so far..

• Registered Users Posts: 37,490 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I think we had 7 unbeaten teams going into the weekend. We now have three if I'm correct, the 4-0 Chiefs and Patriots and the 3-0 49ers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Vikings look like they'll spend the season bullying poor teams and then struggle greatly against any that have a solid run defense.

Trubisky doesn't look like he'll be out too long but he's going to be under even more pressure when he comes back if Daniel goes 2-0 looking competent, even if they are shaping up to be two of the easier games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Vikings look like they'll spend the season bullying poor teams and then struggle greatly against any that have a solid run defense

Kind of like the way things went for Washington when Kirk Cousins was QB there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,152 ✭✭✭The_Honeybadger

I heard on one of the preview shows that going in to the weekend he was 4-24 over his career against teams with winning records. Washington weren’t great a lot of the time he was there to be fair, but it’s still a woeful record

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

I heard on one of the preview shows that going in to the weekend he was 4-24 over his career against teams with winning records. Washington weren’t great a lot of the time he was there to be fair, but it’s still a woeful record

One of my biggest complaints during his time in Washington was that he was a bit of a stat builder. You'd look at the stat sheet at the end of a game and it says he threw for 400 yards. Sounds impressive but (a) a good chunk of them were in the 4th quarter when they were chasing the game and more frustratingly (b) he'd lead a good drive from his own 20 to the opponent's 20 and they'd end up with a FG attempt. Now obviously that's not all on him and the poor running game never helped him either but I always thought his stats made him look like a better QB than he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,006 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Don't think it is all Cousins. The team fired their OC last year for not running the ball enough and it is obviously their focus this year. That won't take you far when you face a good team and you have to suddenly expect your QB to turn it on when your whole gameplan built around the run doesn't work, whether it is Cousins or most other non-elite QBs put in that position.

One of my biggest complaints during his time in Washington was that he was a bit of a stat builder. You'd look at the stat sheet at the end of a game and it says he threw for 400 yards. Sounds impressive but (a) a good chunk of them were in the 4th quarter when they were chasing the game and more frustratingly (b) he'd lead a good drive from his own 20 to the opponent's 20 and they'd end up with a FG attempt. Now obviously that's not all on him and the poor running game never helped him either but I always thought his stats made him look like a better QB than he is.

In his last 10 starts, he is averaging 102 yards passing with 9 INTs and 12 fumbles in the first 3 quarters of a game.

Yesterday late in the game he was 20/27 for 150 yards. He then had a drive where he went 7/9 for 83 yards against a prevent D and his stat line ended up being 27/36 for 233. The king of stat padding.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Lionbacker

God, I hate that QB wins stat.
    I mean look at Rodgers last Thursday put up a stat-line of 422 yards, 2 TD's & an INT (which wasn't really his fault), yet it'll go down as a loss in his record despite doing everything possible to win the game, all the while when it was the run D primarily at fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Christy42

In his last 10 starts, he is averaging 102 yards passing with 9 INTs and 12 fumbles in the first 3 quarters of a game.

Yesterday late in the game he was 20/27 for 150 yards. He then had a drive where he went 7/9 for 83 yards against a prevent D and his stat line ended up being 27/36 for 233. The king of stat padding.

Hardly the king. Any mediocre or worse QB on a team with issues will naturally stat pad as a result of how the game naturally goes.

Ryan has been doing it a bit recently. Bortles did it a lot. Look at Goff. Played terrible but 500+ yards.

For me Cousins is maybe a top 20 QB or so but has tended to be on weaker sides. I could see him putting together a Superbowl run with a great side but he won't drag a weak side over the line either like some of the greats can.

Yes it will lead some to overestimate his worth but that is their problem.

Advertisement