Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Andy farrell - overseas players

• 29-09-2019 7:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Did I read sonewhere in the press Farrell is going to allow players , who play in uk or elsewhere to be available for selection ? It may be a good idea with so many of our current squad looking for a big pay day for there last few years, an possibly moving to uk, just as sean O'Brien has ??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I highly doubt it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Did I read sonewhere in the press Farrell is going to allow players , who play in uk or elsewhere to be available for selection ? It may be a good idea with so many of our current squad looking for a big pay day for there last few years, an possibly moving to uk, just as sean O'Brien has ??

I would doubt you did

It’s not Farrell decision either....Nucifora etc made the decision....plus all the provinces wouldn’t be happy if it happened

SOB is still on Dublin....he is still contracted to irfu....he could play if IRFU wanted but he is recovering from injury.....

• Registered Users Posts: 44 leinster blue boys

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    I would doubt you did

It’s not Farrell decision either....Nucifora etc made the decision....plus all the provinces wouldn’t be happy if it happened

SOB is still on Dublin....he is still contracted to irfu....he could play if IRFU wanted but he is recovering from injury.....
    So'b has signed for Lon Irish

If that's the case then it's a constructive move. The versatile likes of Zebo can enter the fray as Kearney and other aging backs wind down their careers.

Zebo is out of condition and would be a disaster in that heat

Also he isn’t that good.....all the provinces have better young winger available and waiting to get a chance

• Registered Users Posts: 11,106 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

He was contracted to IRFU until after RWC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

This isn't happening and it'd be a woeful decision

The success of the provinces and the control the irfu have over the players is too important to allow this

• Subscribers Posts: 40,955 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

If that's the case then it's a constructive move. The versatile likes of Zebo can enter the fray as Kearney and other aging backs wind down their careers.

If you think it would be constructive for Irish players to be allowed to play international rugby while earning bigger wedges abroad, then you don't understand Irish rugby.

He signed but is not free till after WC...

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

S.O'B is broken. Zebo isnt really in good condition reportedly. So who else, is there a position we are lacking in right now, that can be met by an expat?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,632 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Zebo might be a good idea.

We're in desperate need of some extra bulk in the backrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭DGRulz

Clegg wrote: »
    Zebo might be a good idea.

We're in.desperate need of some extra bulk in the backrow.

Last I saw of him he was on his way to looking more like a prop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

DGRulz wrote: »
    Last I saw of him he was on his way to looking more like a prop.

There's something wrong with your eyes so.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,742 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Not Farrell's call to make.

It works anyway. Who has left that we desperately miss? Zebo and Madigan may well have been in the WC squad, but neither are indispensable from the squad and neither would start. Although Zebo would be a nice option at 15.

If players like Ryan, Furlong, Stockdale and Ringrose start to leave in the next couple of years then maybe a conversation would be needed, but not at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,083 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It will ultimately be the players themselves that break the IRFU on this policy. If more key players leave after the World Cup for superior money then the policy will be abandoned. It’s just a numbers game. It is definitely in the player interest for this policy to be abandoned over the coming word Cup cycle, for obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I get the impression the money abroad without playing test rugby isn't significantly better tbh. The An Béal Bocht image of the IRFU is long since dispelled.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

This thread was started with a thinly-veiled attempt to get the Zebo talk going again. The ‘oh I read Andy Farrell is thinking of doing this’ is complete and utter nonsense, because it’s not Farrell’s call.

He’s bang average and he’s always been bang average for Ireland. He’s had multiple chances and he took the opportunity to move abroad for more money (and all power to him).

People really need to get over it. You bring in average player like Zebo and you can say goodbye to all the good players in the provinces.

Some people here are so short-sighted it’s actually baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,336 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

We should be letting more players aged 22/23 go abroad for a few years to develop and then if they are good enough bring them home.

Too many good players in Ireland not able to get a contract and they are lost to the top level game

And many of them could have a very good career abroad

Faugheen wrote: »
    This thread was started with a thinly-veiled attempt to get the Zebo talk going again. The ‘oh I read Andy Farrell is thinking of doing this’ is complete and utter nonsense, because it’s not Farrell’s call.

He’s bang average and he’s always been bang average for Ireland. He’s had multiple chances and he took the opportunity to move abroad for more money (and all power to him).

People really need to get over it. You bring in average player like Zebo and you can say goodbye to all the good players in the provinces.

The thread wasnt started at all bout getting people talking bout Zebo, hes now past his sell by date, I was thinking of other Irish qualified players plsying abroad

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I get the impression the money abroad without playing test rugby is significantly better tbh. The An Béal Bocht image of the IRFU is long since dispelled.

I think the IRFU are competitive with players who get central contracts, but I'd say for players on provincial ones or on the cusp of a central one but losing out due to limited spots would be making a hell of a lot more abroad.

When you take the Zebo argument out of it, I don't think there's been a single player who's left Ireland worth changing the policy for other than Sexton who was under different circumstances.

If anything, changing policy could make it more favourable for players to leave Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

The thread wasnt started at all bout getting people talking bout Zebo, hes now past his sell by date, I was thinking of other Irish qualified players plsying abroad

Who is there playing abroad that is going to be realistically in an Irish 23? Not Zebo (hasn't been playing well since start of year) , Ryan (too old) , SOB (old/past his best) or Madigan (well past his best).

I'm not sure there's anyone else abroad that was ever going to be in consideration.

Buer wrote: »
    Who is there playing abroad that is going to be realistically in an Irish 23? Not Zebo (hasn't been playing well since start of year) , Ryan (too old) , SOB (old/past his best) or Madigan (well past his best).

I'm not sure there's anyone else abroad that was ever going to be in consideration.

Just a thought ??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

Noel Reid was MOTM on his Leicester debut this week.

Just saying.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Faugheen wrote: »

Sure Jan.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Noel Reid was MOTM on his Leicester debut this week.

Just saying.

Brett Herron also started and slotted the match winning penalty for Quins this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,951 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

I think any selection of overseas players would be predicated on them being available for training camps, which is something that English and French clubs are unlikely to acquiesce to. Sexton had to specifically negotiate that in his contract with Racing iirc.

At a certain point, I think it's inevitable that more players are going to look abroad for opportunities, and more power to them imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭JJJackal

Buer wrote: »

SOB would have been picked for World Cup squad if not injured.

SOB most likely would not be in contention come next 6N and certainly not come the next WC cycle

Dev Toner is left at home. There are other locks such as Dillane who are still available too. Not sure Ryan would definitely have made it

Is Madigan better than Sexton, Carberry, Carty or Ross Byrne?

Zebo is the only player who could have made the 23. Schmidt always preferred Kearney.

In regards to overseas, it was mentioned a number of times on podcast that Irish player will get offered more wages overseas because they will not play for ireland ....so Zebo is getting extra because Racing know he won’t be missing during 6 nations/WC etc....

So even if Ireland did turn around and ask Zebo to come would he? It would mean a huge hit in his wages....the money was the reason he left.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

We should be letting more players aged 22/23 go abroad for a few years to develop and then if they are good enough bring them home.

Too many good players in Ireland not able to get a contract and they are lost to the top level game

And many of them could have a very good career abroad

If they're good enough they get a provincial contract.

If they're slightly less good than that they may get signed by a high standard foreign club.

If they're not that good then they won't...

The IRFU/ provinces don't hold them against their will like

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

If Zebo is brought in, was shown to be miles off the pace, would people shut up about it then?

Kilcoyne is in better condition than him.

Advertisement