Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N3 - Virginia Bypass [route options published]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭roadmaster

marno21 wrote: »
    It's too early to say for sure but I imagine it'll be Type 2 DC from Whitegate to the Poles. Only to the Poles because any future dualling north of there won't be going any closer to Cavan.

It's ridiculous that they built a half dumbell junction at the end of the M3 yet a few miles up the road there's an at grade roundabout to service an R road.

If its the R163 you are talking about i believe there was a lot pressure from industry in the area to have access on to the then new N3/M3 . The likes of Floods and Kelletts have a serious amount of HGVS coming from the oldcastle direction

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

roadmaster wrote: »
    If its the R163 you are talking about i believe there was a lot pressure from industry in the area to have access on to the then new N3/M3 . The likes of Floods and Kelletts have a serious amount of HGVS coming from the oldcastle direction
    I agree with there being a N3/R163 junction to be fair, but I don't see the point of half building a future grade seperated junction at one location and then throwing in an at grade roundabout a few miles up the road. The N3/R163 junction should have been grade seperated, the roundabout further up at Whitegate can be dealt with as part of this scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

I agree with there being a N3/R163 junction to be fair, but I don't see the point of half building a future grade seperated junction at one location and then throwing in an at grade roundabout a few miles up the road. The N3/R163 junction should have been grade seperated, the roundabout further up at Whitegate can be dealt with as part of this scheme.

This is exactly what I was thinking...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Hi Guys, Seen on the celt wasn't sure if it was last week or the week before about all the plans that so far have been put together had to be thrown out and restarted....Anyone know much about this?

(It was on the hard copy of the celt...I can;t find anything online about it)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,335 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Shane Ross wrote:
    I can advise that the continuation of the M3 motorway to Cavan Town it is not referred to in the pipeline of projects outlined in the National Development Plan (NDP).

However, the N3 Virginia Bypass Scheme is included among the pre-appraisal/early planning pipeline of projects in the NDP This scheme has been identified as a Strategic Investment Priority in the National Planning Framework (NPF) and NDP.

The proposed scheme will seek to remove the current inefficiencies of the existing road in terms of safety, capacity, and travel times. It is envisaged that it would also have a number of important benefits including:

- Support economic growth by increasing network capacity and reducing travel times between Dublin and the Northwest;

- Improved Road Safety by reducing frequency and severity of collisions thereby contributing to the Road Safety Authority target of no more than 25 fatalities per million population by 2020;

- Environmental improvements in noise, air and water quality for Virginia Town and Lough Ramor (proposed Natural Heritage Area);

- Improved access to the National Road network for the towns of Ballyjamesduff and Bailieborough.

The project pre-appraisal plan for the Virginia Bypass has been approved by the economic evaluation unit within my Department and TII has provided an allocation of €600k to Cavan County Council this year to progress planning and design work on the project. Cavan County Council has advertised the tender competition for Technical Consultancy Services to progress the scheme through phases 1-4 of the Project Management Guidelines and expect to receive the tenders on 21st May 2019.

This was scheduled to occur yesterday and my Department will receive an up-date on the outcome of that process in due course.

Design & planning to start on this imminently.

I still don't understand how long the scheme will be or where it will start and end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,690 ✭✭✭Pete_Cavan

I still don't understand how long the scheme will be or where it will start and end.
    Would that not be determined as part of the consultancy appointment referred to above?

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

project is out to tender for consultants for Phase 1 to 4 at present

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Design & planning to start on this imminently.

Donegal would do.

I believe at the moment a tender is being worked on for safety improvements around Glanbia. If that is the case could the bypass be along time away yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,377 ✭✭✭✭road_high

I believe at the moment a tender is being worked on for safety improvements around Glanbia. If that is the case could the bypass be along time away yet?

It is a long time off. May as well make the most of the existing road in the meantime

• Advertisement

Has a consultant been appointed yet?

There hasn’t been any official announcement on it yet

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭annfield1978

There hasn’t been any official announcement on it yet

One from Arup, Atkins, Fehily Timoney, TOBIN or AECOM/ ROD

• Registered Users Posts: 7,810 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

yep !
    https://www.northernsound.ie/consultant-appointed-begin-planning-design-viriginia-bypass/
    A consultant has been appointed to begin the planning and design of the Viriginia Bypass.

JB Barry Transportation will act as technical advisors on the scheme for Cavan County Council.

They will provide the engineering, environmental, economic and appraisal services to deliver the project.

Cavan County Council has previously said the new bypass will be essential in relieving congestion in Virginia, and will also open up the whole county for development.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭roady rhodes

Anyone know what sort of time frame till completion?

I mean are we talking a couple of years or 5-10 years?

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Jegger

Anyone know what sort of time frame till completion?

I mean are we talking a couple of years or 5-10 years?

10 years

2019-10-05 14.22.26-1.jpg492930.jpg

Looks like this will be a fairly simple 2+2 extension of the N3 from the end of the Clonee-Kells scheme to north of Virginia, around 15km in length. If that’s the case, the big ticket scheme all the way to Cavan has been binned.

Looks like this will be a fairly simple 2+2 extension of the N3 from the end of the Clonee-Kells scheme to north of Virginia, around 15km in length. If that’s the case, the big ticket scheme all the way to Cavan has been binned.

Very frustrating if that is the case. The Cavan - Virginia road as a single lane carriageway is shocking and quite frankly dangerous. It's a busy road with freight transport.

Very frustrating if that is the case. The Cavan - Virginia road as a single lane carriageway is shocking and quite frankly dangerous. It's a busy road with freight transport.

Indeed. The big ticket project is 46km and would cost €500m or so.

It could be the case that TII are being pragmatic and see more chance of a 15km scheme going ahead in the medium term

There’s also 70km of N2 upgrades planned and 70km of N4 upgrades so they may also have been seeking more geographic distribution of funds

Indeed. The big ticket project is 46km and would cost €500m or so.

It could be the case that TII are being pragmatic and see more chance of a 15km scheme going ahead in the medium term

There’s also 70km of N2 upgrades planned and 70km of N4 upgrades so they may also have been seeking more geographic distribution of funds

Certainly sounds plausible.

And as well, with so much substandard N2 and N4 to replace, the Type 1 SC and WS2 that makes up the N3 from north of Virginia as far as the border really looks like rather good standard road by comparison.

• Advertisement

Drove the N3 several times this week and I still reckon you can fit 2+2 for most of the route between the End of the N3 Dual and Glanbia, there would be some houses that may have to get knocked and a new carriage way around maghera but overall it would be a waste not to use the existing road

Drove the N3 several times this week and I still reckon you can fit 2+2 for most of the route between the End of the N3 Dual and Glanbia, there would be some houses that may have to get knocked and a new carriage way around maghera but overall it would be a waste not to use the existing road

I think the issue with that would be all the private accesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭roady rhodes

Simple fact is that the n3 is now a major commuting route and will only get worse.
    It's a real shame that there is no motorway linking the north west of the country to the capital.

The volume of traffic has grown significantly over the last couple of years
    Maghera,Virginia,Lisgrey,New Inns and Lavey all need to bypassed.
    These stretches are notorious for getting caught behind HGVs and tractors etc

This proposed new road whether it be a dual carriage way or motorway has to reach to at the very least poles area.
    I know a lot rides on budget but surely it would be cheaper to do it all in one hit rather than add -ons down the line at premium prices and disruption.

MOD:

Troll posts removed. Please do not feed the trolls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

Simple fact is that the n3 is now a major commuting route and will only get worse.
    It's a real shame that there is no motorway linking the north west of the country to the capital.

The volume of traffic has grown significantly over the last couple of years
    Maghera,Virginia,Lisgrey,New Inns and Lavey all need to bypassed.
    These stretches are notorious for getting caught behind HGVs and tractors etc

This proposed new road whether it be a dual carriage way or motorway has to reach to at the very least poles area.
    I know a lot rides on budget but surely it would be cheaper to do it all in one hit rather than add -ons down the line at premium prices and disruption.

Agree with everything here that roady rhodes has said, what maybe is a slight issue is that traffic that arrives at poles, Would there be congestion there then on friday evenings for example. Are they just sending the traffic onto near cavan town to be held up there instead of whats currently in virginia.

But then again id imagine that alot of traffic would be turning off and heading to bjd.

It looks as though by the article in the Anglo Celt last week that this will be from the end of the existing N3 dual carriageway to Lisgrey

It would be difficult to sanction 45km of N3 to the Poles in addition to massive N2 and N4 upgrades

• Registered Users Posts: 19,377 ✭✭✭✭road_high

While the Virgina bypass and connecttion to the M3 are an absolute priority is the rest of the road really that bad? Granted it's close to the limit for a 2 lane I'm sure.
    North of Cavan the road is actually better but more recently opened of course.

road_high wrote: »
    While the Virgina bypass and connecttion to the M3 are an absolute priority is the rest of the road really that bad? Granted it's close to the limit for a 2 lane I'm sure.
    North of Cavan the road is actually better but more recently opened of course.

I think it is. Coming off the dual carriageway if you're behind a bus or a HGV on bad days you could be stuck behind them the whole way. Should be much better for such a busy route.

I think the issue with that would be all the private accesses.

I think that could be solved easily enough with side roads. They will have the same issue with Mullingar to Longford.

• Advertisement

I think that could be solved easily enough with side roads. They will have the same issue with Mullingar to Longford.

Yes, but I think the Mullingar to Longford road will be an offline build, too.

Advertisement