Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Planning a golf trip in Ireland for friends coming from abroad

• 29-09-2019 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭

I'm hoping to get some input and ideas on how best to organise a golf trip myself in Ireland for 4 golfers including myself.

I live here but have some friends who want to travel over next summer to play a few days and courses. Probably looking at 3 course, max 4. As I am based in the south west, courses between Galway and Cork would be the location.

What suggestions would you have? I'm thinking maybe 2 links courses and 1 parkland. Dont want all 3 to be the most expensive courses unless somebody could identify a way to get good value on green fees. Would maybe splash out on 1 and the other 2 to 3 courses to be a bit more budget friendly. Nite I am not currently a GUI member as I only recently moved back and have nit had a chance to join a club yet. This might be problematic when booking ???

These would be the kind of lads who would like good food and a few beers after a round so the clubhouse, surrounding town and general atmosphere would be an important factor.

Also how would you suggest we travel around. Could I rent a car trailer or mini van for the few days. We would all like to travel together.

I guess all advice is subjective but I would be grateful for any insight/ tips.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Splash out on the Old Head Kinsale, they'll never forget it.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Traveling from Cork then....

Cork - Parkland/Quarry
    Ballybunion Cashen - Links
    Portumna - Parkland
    Galway Bay - Quite links like

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭rooney30

slave1 wrote: »
    Traveling from Cork then....

Cork - Parkland/Quarry
    Ballybunion Cashen - Links
    Portumna - Parkland
    Galway Bay - Quite links like

Ballybunion old course rather than cashen , far superior
    Waterville links also

They are the two best links in the area . About 250 a piece green fee so not cheap

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

rooney30 wrote: »
    Ballybunion old course rather than cashen , far superior
    Waterville links also

They are the two best links in the area . About 250 a piece green fee so not cheap

OP mentioned Budget and also not a GUI member so no chance of reduced green fees hence I left out the obvious expensive ones and the only splash-out would be Cashen which is a very underrated course and unfortunate due to it's next door neighbour which takes all the glory.
    Should get all the ones posted for around €200

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Cheapest way to get some quality golf is try for one of these
    https://www.thegolfpa.com/ireland-amateur-tournaments

You don't need to book the packages if u want to do your own accommodation.

The Dimamond coast in Enniscrone do a 2 night stay early in the year with golf for 2 days.
    Open comps are also a good way of getting a cheaper green fee, not sure if its feasible for u to get a handicap or if your buddies have one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Having played it recently, I'd highly recommend Castlemartyr in Cork. Inland links, but very good value for rack rate green fees (I think about €50 and €40 if you're staying overnight). Decent clubhouse food and obviously being a hotel, no issue with having a few pints or other food choices. Short walk to the village as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭willabur

slave1 wrote: »
    OP mentioned Budget and also not a GUI member so no chance of reduced green fees hence I left out the obvious expensive ones and the only splash-out would be Cashen which is a very underrated course and unfortunate due to it's next door neighbour which takes all the glory.
    Should get all the ones posted for around €200

I played both Ballybunnion courses over the weekend. For me Cashen is an incredible course which if it wasn't next to the old course would be far higher up in the rankings. Very playable, links - well worth the splurge

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭thewobbler

You don’t need a minivan or a trailer. Hire a large 7-seater like a Sharan or an Alhambra, and with the rear seats removed, it will take 4 sets of clubs and bags quite comfortably.

I can’t overly speculate on the south west as it is the one area of Ireland I’ve never really played. But to be honest, where you’re from isn’t as important as where your mates are flying into. Day 1 will likely either be a course local to the airport, or an extensive drive to a central base.

But if you want to save money, don’t consider Kerry in the summertime. Its famous courses can charge what they like.

If they’re flying into Dublin (or even Cork) you should look up a couple of nights in Woodenbridge. Not much in the way of nightlife save for a lively hotel bar, but they’ll be able to hook you up with good rates on Woodenbridge, Coolatiin, Bunclody and Macreddin, which are all sensible priced, very enjoyable courses.

If it’s more likely Knock / Limerick flights, I’d encourage you to have a look at Sligo. Stay and play in Castle Dargan (10 mins out of town, pick up a great value green fee in Strandhill, and splash out on Rosses Point. Depending on what angle you’re heading after that there’s any number of fourth courses you can play. Enniscrone would be a brilliant choice, but it’s not convenient for much.

Advertisement