Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Cake Recipe

• 27-09-2019 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Hi All,
    Bit of a long shot but I wonder if any of you have a recipe for a Christmas Cake that was recently printed in an Aldi or Lidl leaflet? I work in a nursing home and one of my ladies is dead set on making the cake but can’t find where she put the recipe! Would really make her day if I found it as we’re hoping to make it together and it’s the only topic she seems to have any interest in at the moment!

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,174 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Can you make this out?
    69017623_2382698498719424_4695269354772627456_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQl1sKhmEx_gn8iVdTWNdkXYwmFKmCO14KssG2lvyJdUM_-LOCjUuGjcnboJEd_bkXc&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub1-2.fna&oh=b68d7f7330344c2f4136f1bd7eb9a7ca&oe=5E3DB2D6

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Pebbles81

I can indeed! Thank you so much. She’ll be absolutely delighted , as am I. Hopefully some good karma heading your way, it’s the only thing I’ve been able to get this lady to chat about.

Is it Aldi or Lidl?

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭rubberdungeon

https://www.aldi.ie/the-pantry-christmas-cake/p/000000190283300

I think this is the same one as the one in the magazine above?

Ingredients Print page

4 x medium eggs

200g Greenvale unsalted butter – at room temperature

100g The Pantry caster sugar

100g Soft Brown Sugar

300g The Pantry plain flour

1 x teaspoon The Pantry baking powder

1 x teaspoon The Pantry bicarb of soda

415g The Pantry mixed dried fruit

50g The Pantry walnuts pieces

50g The Pantry slivered almonds

120g The Pantry glace cherries

1 x small orange

1 x teaspoon Stonemills mixed spice

½ teaspoon Stonemills cinnamon

160ml Napoleon Brandy

1 x 18cm spring form cake tin

Non-stick parchment

Method

Preheat the oven 150°C/130°C Fan/Gas Mark 2

1. Put the mixed dried fruit, almonds, walnuts and glace cherries in a bowl and mix well

2. Grate the rind from the orange and add to the fruit mix

3. Juice the orange and add this and 80ml brandy to the fruit and mix well

4. Line the base of the cake tin with some baking parchment

5. Using a double thickness of parchment, line the inside of the cake tin, making sure that it stands about 4cm higher than the side

6. Cream the butter with the caster and brown sugar, till light and fluffy

7. Beat the eggs in one at a time, add a little flour if it starts to curdle

8. Mix the baking powder, mixed spice, cinnamon and bicarb into the plain flour

9. Gradually add this flour mix to the egg mix until smooth

10. Then fold in the fruit and nut mix

11. Spoon the cake mix carefully into the prepared tin – and smooth the top

12. Cook for about 2.5 hours – the top should be lightly cracked, browned and firm

13. Test with a wooden skewer - it will be slightly damp when removed

14. Pierce the top of the cake with a wooden skewer and slowly spoon over the rest of the Brandy

15. Allow to cool in the tin

16. When cold, carefully remove the cake from the tin

17. Wrap tightly in cling film and then in tin foil, store in a cool dark place - the cake will mature and improve over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Pebbles81

Yep same recipe! That’s great guys, thanks for your help.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,174 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Pebbles81 wrote: »
    I can indeed! Thank you so much. She’ll be absolutely delighted , as am I. Hopefully some good karma heading your way, it’s the only thing I’ve been able to get this lady to chat about.

Is it Aldi or Lidl?

It's Aldi!
    (I haven't seen anything mentioned in Lidl yet)
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Nice work, guys! :)

Advertisement