Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Appealing a Luas fine

• 26-09-2019 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭

Hi

I was getting the Luas home from work last week as I always do. Inspectors hopped on at Dawson Street. I gave the inspector my leap card, not expecting any issue as I had tagged on, but the card read as tagged off. I was taken aback by this as I had tagged on and there was €30 on the card. Even with the money, I had reached the cap, so they would of got €0, from the journey anyway.

The inspector was sound, and said it's possible there was an issue with the machine. As he could see there was plenty of money on the leap card, and he could see a brief consistent history. He told me to appeal, and I should get off it.

I appealed, and I was basically told to **** off. I'm an honest customer, I always tag on, and there tickers went €45 euro from me. I could of refused to give the inspector any information and got off at the next stop (in reality they can't stop you, or even touch you).

I'm half tempted to pay by credit card, and do a charge back.

Any advice on how to get this appealed??? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I had reached the cap, so they would of got €0, from the journey anyway.

Pretty sure that's not how it works. NTA apply the capping, Luas(Transdev) still get paid per journey.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

You need to look at the machine and make sure it scans.... So many don't and whether you are capped or not if the journey isn't tagged it's not a legit journey so it doesn't show up you travelled.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭LastStop

The inspector was sound, and said it's possible there was an issue with the machine. As he could see there was plenty of money on the leap card, and he could see a brief consistent history. He told me to appeal, and I should get off it.

Any advice on how to get this appealed???

I bet after the inspector told you that then you gave him your information a lot quicker and without grief. That's ticket checking 101 right there.

Charge back won't work, credit card company have no valid reason to apply a chargeback for that.

You already appealed it, only option is not to pay and go to court, take your chance with a judge. But you accept the terms and conditions of the luas when you travel, you didn't ensure you were tagged on, regardless of any cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

I don’t know why this happens but sometimes when you use a certain combination of rail, LUAS or bus, the card is tagged on when it’s not. Well it happens to my card. Sometimes I go to top it up at the train station and it says “tagged on”. The LEAP card isn’t the most technological card out there. Don’t pay the fine, that’s so ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,132 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

What the inspector sees is a very simple is this card tagged on for this operator

If you use the bus, there is no 'tag' off

Luas has a very clear no excuses policy, you must tag on and it is your problem to verify that this worked. If all the equipment is broken, then you cannot travel.

• Advertisement

What the inspector sees is a very simple is this card tagged on for this operator

If you use the bus, there is no 'tag' off

Luas has a very clear no excuses policy, you must tag on and it is your problem to verify that this worked. If all the equipment is broken, then you cannot travel.
    Nobody thinks about going about their business in such a clinical way. If I get off a bus and go to the Luas and there is a tram coming, I tag my card like everyone else. I’ve never seen anyone ensuring their card’s status is tagged off before their journey. Instead, TFI could make the system better by not allowing this to happen in the first place and having different sounds for tagging on and off.

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

don't understand why there isn't a validator on the luas,

I missed one yesterday trying to tap on - would make way more sense and I would say a lot of people risk not tagging on for fear of being late for work.

If all the equipment is broken, then you cannot travel.

sorry, but that's absolute bollock$

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Op can you view the journey history online? If it shows you didn't tag on there's not a lot you can do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,436 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

B_ecke_r wrote: »

I missed one yesterday trying to tap on - would make way more sense and I would say a lot of people risk not tagging on for fear of being late for work.

You'd just have nobody tagging on and then validating in the event an inspector steps on

• Advertisement

You'd just have nobody tagging on and then validating in the event an inspector steps on

true but I am a firm believer in the honest people shouldn't suffer cause of a few bad eggs.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Get up earlier if there is a chance you be late for work. We are great with the auld excuses

Get up earlier if there is a chance you be late for work. We are great with the auld excuses

I wasn't even referring to myself I am flexi in work but you realise some people work to a specific schedule in the mornings?

ridiculous comment.

I wasn't even referring to myself I am flexi in work but you realise some people work to a specific schedule in the mornings?

ridiculous comment.

Including myself and I ensure I get up early enough to get in with 15 mins to spare.

Hi

I was getting the Luas home from work last week as I always do. Inspectors hopped on at Dawson Street. I gave the inspector my leap card, not expecting any issue as I had tagged on, but the card read as tagged off. I was taken aback by this as I had tagged on and there was €30 on the card. Even with the money, I had reached the cap, so they would of got €0, from the journey anyway.

I appealed, and I was basically told to **** off. I'm an honest customer, I always tag on, and there tickers went €45 euro from me. I could of refused to give the inspector any information and got off at the next stop (in reality they can't stop you, or even touch you).

Any advice on how to get this appealed??? Thanks

Sadly you won't win on appeal. Its your responsbility to ensure you tap properly. Put it down to a life lesson and move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

true but I am a firm believer in the honest people shouldn't suffer cause of a few bad eggs.

Its a nice thought, sure.

I thought the fine was €100?

Will they really bring someone to court for €45?

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭tobdom

Sadly you won't win on appeal. Its your responsbility to ensure you tap properly. Put it down to a life lesson and move on.

I've won on appeal before (few years ago).... Regular daily user (at the time), always tag-on & off, regular top-ups etc. One day coming home from work (late, brain fried), I simply forgot to tag-on. That simple, had time and everything as I was waiting for one. As far as I was concerned when I saw the inspectors coming, nothing to worry about, I tagged on, I always tag-on, I did tag-on didn't I?..... Turns out I didn't, got issued with a fine.

I had sufficient credit etc. at the time. I contested the fine with the evidence from my registered Leap card that I tag-on & off daily, regularly top-up etc. and that in no way was I trying to evade the fare. They made me sweat it out for 2 weeks (which I think is the length of time I had to pay the fine) before agreeing to quash the fine.

It works in Amsterdam. Same for every mode of transport there.

Tomrota wrote: »
    It works in Amsterdam. Same for every mode of transport there.

Yeah but this is Ireland. We abuse everything and so we can't have anything.

Tram in Edinburgh have defibrillators on them, could you imagine what would happen to them on the luas here?

• Advertisement
Advertisement