Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pixies Olympia

• 26-09-2019 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Anyone at the gig tonight? What you make of it? I thought it lacked any real momentum. Played a lot of newer material very few of the earlier tunes, maybe a ratio of 3:1. Think the atmosphere could have been better if there played a few of the bigger hits in a row to get the crowd going.
    And no encore??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

TheShow wrote: »
    Anyone at the gig tonight? What you make of it? I thought it lacked any real momentum. Played a lot of newer material very few of the earlier stuff. Think the atmosphere could have been better if there played a few of the bigger hits in a row to get the crowd going. And no encore??

Also Tracy living in Galway from Sandyford whose company I enjoyed for the evening; pm me please!!!

The last bit is the only reason you started this thread :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Both points are valid :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 35 bravenewworld1

Yes I was there. I'm not Tracy...alas. ;)
    The set was peppered with old faves, a lot of new material. I really enjoyed it however and found the crowd were lifted by the classics. To me they sounded incredible... Id forgotten how fabulous the Olympia is for music! I was surprised at no encore, however Debaser was a cracking end. Was no National Stadium 1989 however...30 years ago! Jaysus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Wooderson

When they played the Doolittle shows thr gig was less than an hour in duration. Pixies have always been roll of a dice live.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Anyone at the gig tonight? What you make of it? I thought it lacked any real momentum. Played a lot of newer material very few of the earlier tunes, maybe a ratio of 3:1. Think the atmosphere could have been better if there played a few of the bigger hits in a row to get the crowd going.
    And no encore??

Also Tracy living in Galway from Sandyford whose company I enjoyed for the evening; pm me please!!!

They played 19 old songs out of 33....you're talking through your hole ....

They also started 15 mins earlier than the usual 9pm so you got the equivalent of a 15 min encore uninterrupted

• Advertisement

Yeah, now that I reflect on it, it was a good gig.
    I was in the upper circle so i think it just lacked a bit of atmosphere up there,
    Great sound, would have been good if they got a few more classics in but I guess they are touring the new album. Time to get up to speed on the newer stuff I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

maybe it would have been better to showcase all the new songs together as dispersing them throughout the set had the atmosphere going up and down, no offense to the new stuff but it's only two weeks old so hard to build to the same atmosphere as debaser!

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭TheWonderLlama

On graveyard Hill will be a future classic. Guarantee.
    The slow version of wave of mutilation was a bit naff.

Thought they might have played a bit more from Trompe Le Monde since is out 28 years this year. Would love to hear Alec Eiffel live.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,965 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Don't know about you lot, but I thought it was brilliant, and I was unfortunate enough to be in the upper circle.

What a voice, what a lead guitarist, what a drummer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 469 ✭✭GoldenTickets

Thought they might have played a bit more from Trompe Le Monde since is out 28 years this year. Would love to hear Alec Eiffel live.

Odd to see a band drop the ball when the 28th Anniversary Tour opportunity rolls round alright...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭John DoeReMi

I enjoyed it thoroughly myself. Wasn't expecting an encore - as was mentioned by another poster they can be erratic live. Velouria was the highlight of the night for me, the intro to it was amazing.

Velouria was indeed epic as was Debaser.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,065 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

I enjoyed it too. Was in the standing section which is the best place to be in the Olympia. They fairly rattle through the songs at some pace.

I enjoyed it too. Was in the standing section which is the best place to be in the Olympia. They fairly rattle through the songs at some pace.

blistering pace, some voice on himself at 54 and still belting out the tunes at full throttle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Seen them a few times and that was probably the best I've seen him "holla".

Kind of disappointed by the crowd in general though. Plenty of people talking their way through all the songs not on the first four albums. Yes the new stuff would not my favourite either but there's some modern classics on those too and how will you ever know if you keep talking your way through them :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,467 ✭✭✭Penfailed

Played a lot of newer material very few of the earlier tunes, maybe a ratio of 3:1.

Nah.

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/pixies/2019/olympia-theatre-dublin-ireland-4b9c2b3a.html

Seriously? Doolittle is out 30 years...now that's a nice round number.

Gigs '24 - Ben Ottewell and Ian Ball (Gomez), The Jesus & Mary Chain, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Pearl Jam, Green Day, Stendhal Festival, Forest Fest, Electric Picnic, Ride, PJ Harvey, Pixies, Public Service Broadcasting, Therapy?, IDLES(x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,862 ✭✭✭Pogue eile

Went to see them in Brussels this week and overall thought it was excellent, they began with a few of the classics and also finished with Velouria/Debaser which was absolutely epic. Did think it dipped a bit in the middle but that was probably down to my own unfamiliarity with the new material. Played for just over 2 hours which was more than I expected to be honest, all in all a great gig.

Advertisement