Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Should I try run DCM 2019

• 26-09-2019 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I know the responses I will correctly get to this thread, and a large part of me also thinks the same, is no!
    However I am still tempted to give DCM 2019 a try and am interested to get people's thoughts on the below.

Background:
    I have ran 4 of the last 5 DCMs.
    2018: 3:38. Good training and comfortable run
    2017: 3.52. Poor training and a tough run
    2015: 3:48. Again decent training and a comfortable run.
    2014. 4:01. Terrible training but OK run. Gutting time.
    I've enjoyed all the training and find the running a great way to keep weight off in between rugby seasons.
    I signed up for DCM 19 after the highs of 2018 with the intention of doing serious training and aiming for a 3:30.
    However life/travels got in the way and I've spent the last 2.5 months in South America, doing almost no running.
    I am a 35 year old relatively heavey rugby player.

My plan/idea:
    Try the DCM 19 with little to no training, aiming for a 4:15 ish time.
    Across the next 4 weeks I could get 2 - 3 10km runs in, a 21km run and 1 32km run done (completed once back in Ireland). This would also leave 10 to 12 days taper where I would get in a few 5-8 km runs.
    Due to lack of running/rugby I am injury free and across the last 2 months have probably being hiking for 25ish days, at high altitude.

Questions:
    1. Am I nuts to even consider this? Really don't want to miss the buzz of the DCM day.
    2. What do people think of my above rough plan?
    3. If attempting the above what sort of pace would be recommended for the long runs, possibly 6.45 min/kms?

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated, hopefully not wasting anyone's time, and maybe distracting some from the stress of a serious training plan.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

You’ll do it alright, run some/walk some but you will be in a world full of hurt in the days after. Ultimately it’s up to you what you decide, go for if that’s what you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

I think you should absolutely do it if you feel that strongly about it. Maybe don't be too ambitious with the time though. If you want to maximise your result, consider using a run/walk strategy as documented here https://www.runnersworld.com/training/a20829531/this-17-time-marathoner-tried-run-walking-a-race-heres-what-happened/
    You will have a certain amount of conditioning in your legs from the hiking and while it won't make up for the lack of run specific training, a run walk approach will make the day much more enjoyable especially the last 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Max out at 32km two weeks previous but don't taper, keep running. Pretty much every day. A taper is only useful after cumulative fatigue.

Run 8 to 12k a day, at below marathon pace then mini taper from the Thurs before.

Don't waste those precious days building no fitness.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Should have added a disclaimer. That advice is specifically for you and your situation. There's injury risk, but you're taking on that risk regardless of what way you approach it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Also I wouldn't taper for it. You haven't trained long for it so you could do a big easy run the weekend before it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Anyone that isn't running regularly will be pretty buckled after a 32km run nevermind following up with a marathon a couple of weeks later. Extremely high risk and you're likely to end up in pieces. I wouldn't do it but that's not saying anything really.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

You have experience of marathon running both well trained and poorly trained. If you can accept it will be a tough 2nd half especially, a slower time than you have potential for and a prolonged recovery you should do it. Dont cram training now though its too late. No very long runs, maybe 1 run of 2.5 hours max and as many runs of an hour as you can fit in and dont bother with a taper except the last week of a few short easy runs Draw your confidence from finishing before when not optimaly trained, Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭pansophelia

I did Paris two years ago with definitely less training than you’ll have, although I’d had a good consistent running year the year before. I had arranged to go with friends so didn’t want to pull out completely. I decided to do a run walk strategy (walk for one minute at the end of every mile) and planned to pull out at 13 miles if I was miserable.
    I had a super day - took it really easy, enjoyed all the sights, stopped twice to help out injured runners. The last few miles were tough, but they always are, and the heat didn’t bother me as much as lots of other runners. Finished in just over five hours (previous Dublin had been 4:15).
    Think it’s totally worth trying if you go in with the right mindset (just enjoy it) and have an exit plan.
    Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 22 jacknes

Many thanks all for the advice. Injury will certainly be a risk but I think I will give it a crack.
    No sure will I fully abandon the taper but will maybe cut it down to 5 or 6 days.

Advertisement