Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Sub 3 Support Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Tommy Max wrote: »

Anybody recommend a good running belt for carrying gels etc that is not bulky and wont bounce around?

Thanks

I use the flip belt. I can carry phone, gels, keys etc with no bounce. I have worn for a few marathons with just gels. Its good but you probably need to practice removing the gels while running at marathon pace. 25-30 euro I think.

https://www.wiggle.co.uk/flipbelt-classic-violet-l/

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Diablo Verde

I use the flip belt. I can carry phone, gels, keys etc with no bounce. I have worn for a few marathons with just gels. Its good but you probably need to practice removing the gels while running at marathon pace. 25-30 euro I think.

Same here. Best belt I've used.

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭muloc

Tommy Max wrote: »
    What sort of key workouts would any of the experienced marathoners here recommend over the next few weeks?

How far out do you plan to do your last real long run of 20-22 miles? 3 weeks or 2 weeks out?

Thanks

last long one 3 weeks out so 22,20,15,10,DCM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,015 ✭✭✭Itziger

Same here. Best belt I've used.
    You two employed by this crowd by any chance?? Or maybe ye're influencers ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭MrMacPhisto

Itziger wrote: »
      You two employed by this crowd by any chance?? Or maybe ye're influencers ðŸ˜

We can deliver to Luxembourg or Tyris on Tap :p

1. Advertisement
    2. Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

Another alternative are shorts like these - there's a pouch in the front with a zipped pocket underneath, another zipped pocket in the back and two small net type pouches on the side/rear. Sounds like you would end up with your shorts around your knees but it actually works and is comfortable to wear.

https://www.decathlon.ie/ie_en/men-s-trail-running-baggy-shorts-en-s145971.html

3. Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

I've a pair of these....decent storage for a pair of racing shorts. Worn them in a couple of marathons, no compaints.

https://www.ronhill.com/stride-cargo-racer-short

4. Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Looks like my sub 3 dream is over for this year, came out of the half with a quad injury, was hitting 6.20 a mile until it struck in the last mile and hobbled home in 1.24, had physio and dry needling Monday and it generally felt better in my day to day activities, went for a short run yesterday to see how it felt and didn't get half a mile, physio again this afternoon but it's looking like just getting around the course will be my only option.

5. Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭Sheep1978

Looks like my sub 3 dream is over for this year, came out of the half with a quad injury, was hitting 6.20 a mile until it struck in the last mile and hobbled home in 1.24, had physio and dry needling Monday and it generally felt better in my day to day activities, went for a short run yesterday to see how it felt and didn't get half a mile, physio again this afternoon but it's looking like just getting around the course will be my only option.

Sorry to hear that lad. Hopefully good news at the physio today

6. Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭rooneyjm

It might not be over yet, still a month to go. Take a week off and see how it goes. I’d have to question the logic of an all out HM on that course a month before your goal race.

7. Advertisement
    8. Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

Pmaldini wrote: »
      subzero3 from these parts ran 2.39.xx in Boston yesterday, a 10 min PB on London last year, very well done John
      Girl I work with,who follows John on strava,just showed me his run from Berlin yesterday.2:33.Fantastic running.

9. Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

healy1835 wrote: »
      I've a pair of these....decent storage for a pair of racing shorts. Worn them in a couple of marathons, no compaints.

Would you squeeze 4 gels into the pockets?Thinking of buying these,for dcm.

10. Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭boydkev

kerrylad1 wrote: »
      Would you squeeze 4 gels into the pockets?Thinking of buying these,for dcm.

I have these shorts and they are great, i can fit 2-3(bigger High 5 Isogels) in the back zip pocket with some salt capsules and the new version of the shorts has a mesh gel pocket on either side of the zip pocket, Previous version had elasticated loops which did not work as gels fell out when i ran. So i would say 4 gels would easily fit in the new version

11. Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

These things better work! :pac:

I ended up getting them on amazon.co.uk as checkout didn't work for me on the run4it website.

12. Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Girl I work with,who follows John on strava,just showed me his run from Berlin yesterday.2:33.Fantastic running.

he is an incredible runner, he only started running a few years ago, he took another 6 mins off his PB, i think the sub 2.30 is now very much on the cards for him.

13. Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Got some great screen time on German TV, was running with the lead German lady for a good stretch :)

On the shorts front.....I guarantee nothing! They are good though, and will probably wear them again, depending on how many people i rope into holding gels for me @DCM.

14. Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Pmaldini wrote:
      he is an incredible runner, he only started running a few years ago, he took another 6 mins off his PB, i think the sub 2.30 is now very much on the cards for him.

Definitely. You should see his splits from 24 miles on. Plenty to improve on. He happens to work in the same place as me. Huge gains made over the last few years.

15. Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Pmaldini

Definitely. You should see his splits from 24 miles on. Plenty to improve on. He happens to work in the same place as me. Huge gains made over the last few years.

that industrial park is like a running track at various times during the day:D:D

16. Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Pmaldini wrote:
      that industrial park is like a running track at various times during the day

Haha it sure is. I'm guessing you must have seen me at some point then.

17. Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Ranleth

Picked up these for only €26 + €4 delivery (I ended up buying a few other things too). Some good prices here and quick delivery.

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/ron2838/ronhill-stride-cargo-racer-shorts-~-ss19/

Only worn them once but so far so good!

18. Advertisement
    19. Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭justfortherecor

Hoping for a (just under) 3hr attempt this year at the DCM. Wonder if there's any advice from people who've done it before on using the Pacers. Imagine the 3hr pacing group is one of the busier groups, certainly early on anyway? Had anticipated holding slightly back for first few Kms and then trying to rejoin during the Park when things have stretched out a bit.

Any tips/tactics more generally on how people approach those first few Kms would be much appreciated!

20. Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Slow_Runner

Hoping for a (just under) 3hr attempt this year at the DCM. Wonder if there's any advice from people who've done it before on using the Pacers. Imagine the 3hr pacing group is one of the busier groups, certainly early on anyway? Had anticipated holding slightly back for first few Kms and then trying to rejoin during the Park when things have stretched out a bit.

Any tips/tactics more generally on how people approach those first few Kms would be much appreciated!

I'd be wary of trying to make up time in the park, Chesterfield Ave is a climb which will sap the energy from your legs, might be better to reel in the pacers when you re enter the park at Knockmaroon gate, nice downhill section here (the downhill after Castleknock might be too steep and trash your quads for later in the race).

21. Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

First 5 miles should be run upto 10 secs per mile slower. I'd be wary of being in a big group too. A huge amount of bottles get thrown on the ground. You need to watch your step.

I am hoping to do those first 5 miles (upto Castleknock) @6.55 pace and then gradually pick it up. A friend on Strava ran a 2.58 @6.48 average pace. He was slower for those earlier miles. I have my watch set up with an average mile pace reading so will go by that.

22. Registered Users Posts: 466 ✭✭browne_rob5

Last year for the first half I ran around 300/400 metres behind the pacing group so I used them to manage my pace without having to deal with the crowd. For the second half it split in 2 so I ran at the top of the of one of the groups for a few miles. You will have a lot of people falling away in the second half so the groups become smaller. I felt good so headed off on my own for the last third. That worked will for me.

23. Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I’d allow them to move on I think all three go out too fast (my experience in 6xDCM). I did 2:54 last year and was just staying with them for the first 10 miles. I think you’ll work best by planning to close the gap on some downhills and from 15 onwards. They’ll cut the pace right down from 22 which begs the question why crucify people early on. Might not be the most popular thing to say on here but it’s my opinion

24. Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Pretty clear advice here and lines up with my plan for a first go at sub-3. The last two years I've run a negative split in Dublin and this year will be no different.

For the first 7 miles I'm not going to do any quicker than 7:00. The next 3 miles through the park and over the river will be fast, but not pushing things. Then it's time to get settled into the pace until half-way but going very easy up the hills. Hopefully by half-way I'll be around the pace groups and will push on if feeling good. Easier said than done of course :)

25. Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

squinn2912 wrote: »
      I’d allow them to move on I think all three go out too fast (my experience in 6xDCM). I did 2:54 last year and was just staying with them for the first 10 miles. I think you’ll work best by planning to close the gap on some downhills and from 15 onwards. They’ll cut the pace right down from 22 which begs the question why crucify people early on. Might not be the most popular thing to say on here but it’s my opinion
      Hi S.What is ur target,next week?

26. Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

Hi S.What is ur target,next week?

I’m out buddy, ankle one leg and groin the other. Not enough training in me since early August. Back running but with issues persisting I’m not sure if I should take a break or not. 1:25 HM in DUNE last week though lol

27. Registered Users Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭Marty Bird

Singer wrote: »
      Pretty clear advice here and lines up with my plan for a first go at sub-3. The last two years I've run a negative split in Dublin and this year will be no different.

For the first 7 miles I'm not going to do any quicker than 7:00. The next 3 miles through the park and over the river will be fast, but not pushing things. Then it's time to get settled into the pace until half-way but going very easy up the hills. Hopefully by half-way I'll be around the pace groups and will push on if feeling good. Easier said than done of course :)

I assume your in wave 1. What time would you need to be at the start line to get a good position? Thanks.

28. Advertisement
    29. Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Marty Bird wrote: »
      I assume your in wave 1. What time would you need to be at the start line to get a good position? Thanks.

Probably about 15 minutes before the race starts.

Advertisement