Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Taxi problem

• 24-09-2019 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭

I recently asked a taxi driver to bring me to an friends house about 8 Kms away. As I am familiar with the route I asked him to travel a particular route. This was as we were in transit. He wasn't happy with this and said he'd leave me back to where he picked me up. As this was going to make my trip more awkward I went along with his choice of route. Is this normal ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

No it is not normal at all, he has to take the route that you request. Unless he knew of a road block due to an accident or something then he should be going the way you ask. If you feel he did it to make more money out of you then that is grounds for complaint to the NTA.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

did he actual explain his issue with your preferred route?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Do your friends live in a really rough area? I know taxi drivers that don't like driving to certain areas at certain times of the day. They can often get ripped off or worse. Don't bother naming the area please, but if it has a reputation for being rough it can put drivers off delivering passengers there.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

horse7 wrote: »
    I recently asked a taxi driver to bring me to an friends house about 8 Kms away. As I am familiar with the route I asked him to travel a particular route. This was as we were in transit. He wasn't happy with this and said he'd leave me back to where he picked me up. As this was going to make my trip more awkward I went along with his choice of route. Is this normal ?

You really need to give more details about your trip, where it was.
    Was the area you were going to, a rough area, has a name ect?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭horse7

To roselawn in castleknock.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,629 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

Did he charge you for this U-turn journey?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

I googled it and it is hardly downtown Beruit or anything.

Where you rude to the driver or did you do anything to upset the driver?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,222 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

it's not at all like beirut, i grew up nearby.
    however, it's also not castleknock.

did you ask him to go through the phoenix park? i've heard anecdotal stories over the years about drivers not wanting to drive through it.

it's not at all like beirut, i grew up nearby.
    however, it's also not castleknock.

did you ask him to go through the phoenix park? i've heard anecdotal stories over the years about drivers not wanting to drive through it.

Why is that MB, would have thought the Park is as safe as houses to drive through. Is it to do with deer strikes? That can happen in the Park after dark, had two close calls myself when I lived in the area, they just run kamikaze style across the road.

not sure myself, i've heard maybe three or four stories over maybe 20 or 30 years - so extremely sporadic, but it's the one place i have heard repeated stories about taxi drivers not willing to use.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,682 ✭✭✭horse7

I think just giving my directions to the driver caused him to be grumpy, the phoenix park wasn't involved, (2pm) and I went along with the driver,s route as my elderly wife was getting upset with a situation that was uncomfortable. Thanks for all your replies and having checked with TFI information on Taxi travel ,a person can request a route and unless there are some issues the driver should follow the route requested. Re:https://www.transportforireland.ie/taxi/faqs/

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Wasn't the park opened up to taxis to specifically allow them through (as commercial vehicles) to cut journey times. It's the most direct route , but only marginaly

Weepsie wrote: »
    Wasn't the park opened up to taxis to specifically allow them through (as commercial vehicles) to cut journey times. It's the most direct route , but only marginaly

yeah, plus I'd imagine it is the longest stretch of roadway anywhere in Dublin (bar the motorways) without a traffic light

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭Mr.Frame

From where though?

Your initial comment is very vague and doesnt make any sense

Advertisement