Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M50 - Wife hit by bus

• 25-09-2019 6:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41 Dudley Smith

My wife was traveling on her own this afternoon at about 2.10 between junctions 16 and 15 on the M50. She was going between 80 and 90 kph in the middle lane and was struck by an overtaking bus (brown in color with no remembered markings presumably private). She was unhurt thankfully though badly shaken. The small car she was in (Opel Corsa) was shunted into another lane but she managed to stop the car in the dashed white lines at the junction exit. The motorway brake down lorry appeared and helped her get off the motorway. She rang the Guards who said it’s too minor an incident to send someone out and to go to her local Garda station which she did to report the incident.

She is going to try to claim through MIBI as the car is damaged all along the drivers side with dents and wing lights removed.

Any advice how best to proceed would be great. Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

If she's going below the speed limit she shouldn't have been in the middle lane....

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I don't know how the whole MIBI thing works, but if you're suggesting that she was hit by someone else who didn't stop, she needs to get straight onto her insurance, and follow up with a report in a garda station.
    If she's going below the speed limit she shouldn't have been in the middle lane....

This isn't really about that. We don't know why she was there in the first place, but if the damage was on driver side, it suggests someone came from her right, so the 3rd lane, not her left.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,220 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

That’s not how the middle lane works
    I don't know how the whole MIBI thing works, but if you're suggesting that she was hit by someone else who didn't stop, she needs to get straight onto her insurance, and follow up with a report in a garda station.

This is what you need to do OP

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blueberrypie

Just want to say, I am glad all is ok.
    I presume she did not have a dash cam to record footage of the incident . (Yes I am aware of the GDPR issue).
    Was there any witnesses?
    Don't do anything to the car as I presume they will send someone down to do a visual inspection.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Why?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

There are only two lanes of the M50 between those junctions, so she can't have been in the middle lane. What direction was she going ?

4.3kwh South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 73,365 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Eh, no. If she was going faster than the traffic in the leftmost lane she wasn’t doing anything wrong.

Speed limit isn’t a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,317 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Hahaha. Love the heads that always pop up with this kind of bull**** nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

Wow! Apart from your lack of empathy you're completely wrong.

What an idiotic post.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Dudley Smith

Just want to say, I am glad all is ok.
    I presume she did not have a dash cam to record footage of the incident . (Yes I am aware of the GDPR issue).
    Was there any witnesses?
    Don't do anything to the car as I presume they will send someone down to do a visual inspection.

Many thanks for your kind words.

Sadly no dash cam or witnesses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

OP I don’t think you can claim off the MIBI unless you have the reg of the vehicle that hit you. If you’re hit by an unidentified or unidentifiable vehicle then they won’t help you (at least they wouldn’t help my sister when her car was hit late at night).

Why’s that then?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,198 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Overtaking lane, nothing to do with what speed your doing.

Is it possible to get the M50 crowd to see if they have footage? Surely this is a hit and run type scenario?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

There's no GDPR issue with dash cams? Photography in a public place is not illegal or subject to GDPR.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,358 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

fixxxer wrote: »
    There's no GDPR issue with dash cams? Photography in a public place is not illegal or subject to GDPR.

GDPR is not what you seem to think it is. Its doesn't relate to private data. Also, we are free to record as private individuals in public spaces.

There are only two lanes of the M50 between those junctions, so she can't have been in the middle lane. What direction was she going ?

Thank you for correcting me on that. She is a bit shook now naturally but is a good driver. She came onto the motorway at Cherrywood (J16) and was heading north and it happened before J15. She eventually had to drive of herself as the break down lorry just clears the road.

To be honest, the car is 2002 so recouping money from MIBI is something we will try as the other party didn’t stop so I am asking for advice on how to identify the lunatic in the brown private bus traveling on the M50 at this time, date and location.

I assume there must be CCTV as she didn’t call emergency services.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Maybe get a post out on social media see if anyone has dash cam footage of the bus?

You'd be surprised, someone posted some dodgy driving on the M50 in the dashcam thread here and I caught the same thing a few cars back on the inside lane. Interesting seeing it from a different perspective, but also shows you how many people are using dash cams and could have caught it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

GDPR is not what you seem to think it is. Its doesn't relate to private data. Also, we are free to record as private individuals in public spaces.

That's what I'm saying chief.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,696 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Thing here is a collision between a car and a bus, on the motorway, bus drives on, Gardai are contacted and advises the driver on the receiving end of the hit to make their way to a Garda station ! Even for minor enough contact that’s really shoddy from them.

I’ve never been one to be critical of Gardai but to advise a person, who has just been in contact with a bus, on the motorway to simply ‘drive on’ , are they composed enough emotionally or NOT suffering from shock ? Where they could pose a danger to themselves and fellow road users ? Was the vehicle road worthy after the contact ? Would the driver had sound enough decision making ability to correctly decide this ?

Would she know the type of bus if she saw it?

A lot of brown coloured buses I see are Turas small buses, made in Maynooth

BB796-DF3-2-B89-47-E9-A5-C4-E2-C914-F753-E4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Double-decker? Single-decker? Old? New?

There are people out there who spend their spare time taking photos of buses and posting them online. Maybe go onto Flickr and do a search for Irish buses/coaches and you might find it. It's a small country - there aren't that many buses... and even fewer brown ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

There are people out there who spend their spare time taking photos of buses and posting them online. Maybe go onto Flickr and do a search for Irish buses/coaches and you might find it. It's a small country - there aren't that many buses... and even fewer brown ones.

And presumably one that now has a dent or damage on the passenger door side...

Glad that your wife is ok, that must have been scary as hell. She did well to stay in control of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

Always with the well informed posts that are never a baseless attack of the OP, Cartman.

It's not called the speed minimum, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

If the bus passed through the toll plaza there’ll be a record of the license plate. Get the license plate and there should be corresponding damage to the bus.

She said it was a single decker brown coach with no markings she could remember. I can’t believe the driver didn’t feel the contact. The M50 can feel a bit like Mad Max some days. Main thing is she was unscathed though still badly shaken up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Thank you for correcting me on that. She is a bit shook now naturally but is a good driver. She came onto the motorway at Cherrywood (J16) and was heading north and it happened before J15. She eventually had to drive of herself as the break down lorry just clears the road.

To be honest, the car is 2002 so recouping money from MIBI is something we will try as the other party didn’t stop so I am asking for advice on how to identify the lunatic in the brown private bus traveling on the M50 at this time, date and location.

I assume there must be CCTV as she didn’t call emergency services.

Glad she's alright.

I wouldn't bank on there being CCTV. Really the only CCTV you can rely on is your own dashcam.

Make a formal report of the crime to An Garda, as they're best placed to recover any footage. Fleeing the scene is a seperate offence. I suggest you call traffic watch and ask to be put in touch with Roads Policing to make your complaint. Normal Gardai often think road traffic offences are beneath them and just fob you off (as your wife may have already learned). They may also lack the expertise to investigate properly.

If you feel like following up yourself get as detailed a description of the bus from your wife as possible (size, shape, shade, year, reg, markings, specific route displayed etc) and see if you can identify the company reference to online information like TFI route list, company websites etc.

For UnID'd vehicles MIBI restricts payout to cases with personal injury, or so they say on their website. Check it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

The driver of the bus may be unaware of the collision.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭the14thwarrior

devils advocate.......
    it may affect her insurance
    what proof does she have?
    what proof that it was that actual van?
    her word that they hit her what if she was in the wrong? or they claim she was in the wrong.
    and they could not stop or reverse and made an effort to go back the other way but she was gone, and all the rest.

similar incident happened a friend of mine, and in the end they didn't go through with it because of a lack of proof and "word against word"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

She said it was a single decker brown coach with no markings she could remember. I can’t believe the driver didn’t feel the contact. The M50 can feel a bit like Mad Max some days. Main thing is she was unscathed though still badly shaken up.

You'd be surprised. If the driver wasn't paying attention (and clearly he/she wasn't), it may well have felt like a minor bump on the road. Someone side-swiped my bus once with their car and if I hadn't been looking in that mirror at the time, I would've felt nothing.

• Advertisement

You have absolutely no idea what she just did or was about to do in that lane- your post has to be one of the most pathetic posts i've seen on boards.ie- getting a dig in no matter what- sorry, but your post fails on just so many levels.

Advertisement