Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Limousine License / Driving

Options
  • 25-09-2019 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi,
    I'm looking for information from anyone in the know who has experience or is currently driving a Limousine for themselves either through Uber Black or My Taxi Exec (Free now).
    Is it worth buying a Mercedes or BMW etc.. And spending €1045 on the licence and suitability test,then tax and Insurance, and if so what type of work is out there, is it the usual busy periods like Thursday - Sunday evenings or is it possible to make a living off early starts and days from Monday to Saturday? I'm seeing a lot of these vehicles around and assume they are using the Apps I mentioned as they are just normal dressed people, not dressed sharp like they're employed by a Chauffeur company.
    Any other information would be welcomed also.

Kind Regards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I think 'prestige car' rather than 'limousine' would be appropriate in the thread title. Nowadays, people equate 'limo' with one of those stretch affairs popular with hen parties and publicity stunts which is clearly not what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mr Regal

coylemj wrote: »
    I think 'prestige car' rather than 'limousine' would be appropriate in the thread title. Nowadays, people equate 'limo' with one of those stretch affairs popular with hen parties and publicity stunts which is clearly not what you're talking about.

Good point. New to this.
    Appreciate that.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,962 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

A friend's dad was a limo driver for 20 years. To get the serious work you will need a super luxury car, usually large engined and automatic and be prepared to upgrade it every other year. The car needs to be spotless all of the time both inside and out and you as a prestige driver will need to be impeccable; Dunnes and Penney's workwear won't cut it appearance wise for the VIP's.

You'll also need contacts in the trade to get the work as you will not get it from your local bar or hotel and embassies won't be Ubering you to collect Heads of State. You'll also need loads of patience as you will be doing a lot of waiting around for your passengers and you will literally be at their beck and call when on call, no questions asked. Oh yeah, you'll need to be discreet as heck given who you are moving around.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Mr Regal

A friend's dad was a limo driver for 20 years. To get the serious work you will need a super luxury car, usually large engined and automatic and be prepared to upgrade it every other year. The car needs to be spotless all of the time both inside and out and you as a prestige driver will need to be impeccable; Dunnes and Penney's workwear won't cut it appearance wise for the VIP's.

You'll also need contacts in the trade to get the work as you will not get it from your local bar or hotel and embassies won't be Ubering you to collect Heads of State. You'll also need loads of patience as you will be doing a lot of waiting around for your passengers and you will literally be at their beck and call when on call, no questions asked. Oh yeah, you'll need to be discreet as heck given who you are moving around.

Yes I'm aware of all the required dress and discretion I have chauffeur driven before. I am looking for information on driving for yourself using Uber Black or My Taxi Exec, not for a company.
    Thanks anyway. ðŸ‘

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭CptMackey

Mr Regal wrote: »
    Yes I'm aware of all the required dress and discretion I have chauffeur driven before. I am looking for information on driving for yourself using Uber Black or My Taxi Exec, not for a company.
    Thanks anyway. ðŸ‘

I dont think there is massive work in that line. Alot would be seasonal . Like summer months cruise ships etc..

Hard to get good customers to be fair. Insurance is also very costly. Have 2 good friends who have recently stopped this kind of work.

Do up a business plan and get quotes for insurance to see what you would need to make to break even

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I worked for a multinational and we used Blue Cabs. If the MD or some important visitor wanted a car, one of the PAs rang Blue Cabs and asked for a 'nice car' whereupon a spotless E-class with a smartly dressed driver would usually show up. So you might consider joining one of those co-ops and if you're the nicest car in their fleet, you'd get those prestige trips. Downside is that you'd have to take the bread and butter customers as well.

Advertisement