Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applegreen Rewards changing

• 20-09-2019 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭

Hi all

I have an Applegreen rewards card and collect points as I spend on a regular basis. Last month's spend alone with Applegreen was 600 euro.

So, they're changing their rewards. They're no longer giving points for each spend, they'll be giving discounts/free items in store.

I can only imagine what stuff will be discounted.....I've no interest in this.

Every couple of months, I'd redeem 1000 points for 10 euro off my SSE Airtricity bill.....something worthwhile to me.

What rewards do other fuel suppliers offer their customers ie Circle K, Texaco etc? Anything worthwhile?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Circle K give you raffle tickets and a monthly chocolate bar and can of coke if you've used the raffle tickets.

Maxol nothing, Top nothing, DCC (Emo/Greatgas) nothing. Texaco are nearly gone as a brand here. Tesco give one clubcard point a litre but there's very few stations.

Margin on fuel is too tight to give away much

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭StonedRaider

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

If you look at their full annual accounts you'll see that most of it is made in food / shop sales. Theres a reason they operate big sites with multiple food options mostly

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

You may be entitled to a free Rat!

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭edunne2010

BOYCOTT OF ALL APPLEGREEN STATIONS MIGHT CHANGE THEIR MIND.

No Problems with increasing fuel at a moments notice. Plenty of excuses to use.

Will they be giving is a FREE RAT?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭jomalone14

Truckermal wrote: »
    You may be entitled to a free Rat!

:eek::eek: I've filled up at that station a few times....it's grim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

jomalone14 wrote: »
    :eek::eek: I've filled up at that station a few times....it's grim.

I hope when you say "filled up" you mean fuel for car and not food for your belly dude. ......

I hope when you say "filled up" you mean fuel for car and not food for your belly dude. ......

Thankfully just diesel and the odd bar of Dairy Milk.......it's not a place that would ever encourage me to grab a sambo :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,811 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

edunne2010 wrote: »

Will they be giving is a FREE RAT?

They make very little profit on fuel and a part of the increase is the way the taxes are applied to fuel. The other retailers also raise their prices as crude prices increase, they just didn't announce it in the press, so you'll have to walk everywhere if you want to boycott fuel retailers would increase prices.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,978 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

edunne2010 wrote: »

plenty of excuses indeed. biggest one day jump in oil prices since the 80s, last week.
    the 'i'm boycotting you because you don't give me free stuff' stance is not quite the issue that will lead to a gilets jaunes movement in ireland, i suspect.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

L1011 wrote: »
    Circle K give you raffle tickets and a monthly chocolate bar and can of coke if you've used the raffle tickets.

Maxol nothing, Top nothing, DCC (Emo/Greatgas) nothing. Texaco are nearly gone as a brand here. Tesco give one clubcard point a litre but there's very few stations.

Margin on fuel is too tight to give away much

Add to that, the Corrib Oil (Texaco) loyalty card gives 1 point (worth 1c) per euro on everything except motor fuel and 1 point per 10 euro (yes, ten euro!) spend on motor fuel.

I actually have one of those from when I was a road warrior in a past life with quite a few quid on it... if I could ever find it. They also do or did "Buy X of Y and get one free" things for various items, coffees, coke, prepacked dinners, even sacks of coal one winter

How many different brands of fuel have they gone through at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭blackwhite

If you look at their full annual accounts you'll see that most of it is made in food / shop sales. Theres a reason they operate big sites with multiple food options mostly

Gross margins on fuel in ROI for sites operated directly by fuel companies are generally between 8-12 cent per litre - depending on the location.

blackwhite wrote: »
    Gross margins on fuel in ROI for sites operated directly by fuel companies are generally between 8-12 cent per litre - depending on the location.

Applegreens 2018 annual report which, admittedly, does include their UK and US operations shows a bit above 7% gross on fuel. They are primarily directly operated sites.

Even though fuel volumes are the bulk of the business, food makes more actual gross for them alone (at nearly 40% margin) and shop sales come close enough (about 30%)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,371 ✭✭✭blackwhite

Applegreens 2018 annual report which, admittedly, does include their UK and US operations shows a bit above 7% gross on fuel. They are primarily directly operated sites.

Even though fuel volumes are the bulk of the business, food makes more actual gross for them alone (at nearly 40% margin) and shop sales come close enough (about 30%)

I worked in a relatively senior role in a company that includes fuel retail for 10+ years - unless Applegreen are paying significantly more for supply than any other major operator in Ireland or the UK then they’re making similar cpl to the other big players. Their pump prices aren’t significantly different.

Aside from the UK and US margins, the Applegreen reported number is also diluted by the margin on fuel sold to dealer sites - which would be in the 3-4cpl region, and by their fuel card margins - which would be anything from 3-6cpl.

There’s a reason Irish fuel companies are incredibly careful not to allow their cpl margins into the public domain - the myth that there’s no margin in fuel certainly suits them!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,179 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hi all

I have an Applegreen rewards card and collect points as I spend on a regular basis. Last month's spend alone with Applegreen was 600 euro.

So, they're changing their rewards. They're no longer giving points for each spend, they'll be giving discounts/free items in store.

I can only imagine what stuff will be discounted.....I've no interest in this.

Every couple of months, I'd redeem 1000 points for 10 euro off my SSE Airtricity bill.....something worthwhile to me.

What rewards do other fuel suppliers offer their customers ie Circle K, Texaco etc? Anything worthwhile?

How did you manage to spend 600 euro there?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,978 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

the OP could drive a large vehicle, possibly? thirsty with a big tank.

ted1 wrote: »
    How did you manage to spend 600 euro there?

Very easily......I drive around 5-6000 kilometers a month. A full diesel fill is €80 X 7 fills = €560

Very easily......I drive around 5-6000 kilometers a month. A full diesel fill is €80 X 7 fills = €560

An electric car would suit you. And pay for itself fast

i suspect jo is the very person an electric car wouldn't suit. 5k to 6k a month would involve long trips, at a guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

i suspect jo is the very person an electric car wouldn't suit. 5k to 6k a month would involve long trips, at a guess.

I drive a truck for a living and I don't clock up that....:pac::pac:

ted1 wrote: »
    An electric car would suit you. And pay for itself fast

Quite unlikely they can afford to give up the many hours of mid-trip charging that would be inevitable if doing that level of mileage.

unless they can plan their route so they're always driving downhill...

250-300 km a day that’s doable in an electric car

Plenty of second hand here with 420k range :

https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/inventory/used/ms?redirect=no

You've hit the nail on the head here.......I'm driving from early morning until after 7, sometimes 8pm at least 4 days a week. My daily schedule/timetable is dictated by my customers (hospital sales). Stopping to charge up would never be an option for me.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Yep, we need to see a rollout of hydrogen electric to cover that kind of usage.

You've hit the nail on the head here.......I'm driving from early morning until after 7, sometimes 8pm at least 4 days a week.
    you have my sympathies. that sounds horrendous.

you have my sympathies. that sounds horrendous.

I'm well paid for it but the result is a poor work/life balance.......hard to jump off the hamster wheel without something giving way :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,102 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

In relation to AppleGreen rewards, how to the points actually accumulate?

I have a card for the past few years that I use occasionally but when purchasing petrol yesterday the assistant advised they were no longer scanning loyalty cards and that all points had to be spent by 4th Oct.

Logged into my account to see what great rewards were available and on recent activity I can see all my fuel purchases with the balance showing as 2,231pts. On my home page however it says I only have 493 points which looks less than useless in terms of a swap. No means of transferring points to another member so is only option donating them to charity in 100 point lots.

• Advertisement

In relation to AppleGreen rewards, how to the points actually accumulate?

I have a card for the past few years that I use occasionally but when purchasing petrol yesterday the assistant advised they were no longer scanning loyalty cards and that all points had to be spent by 4th Oct.

Logged into my account to see what great rewards were available and on recent activity I can see all my fuel purchases with the balance showing as 2,231pts. On my home page however it says I only have 493 points which looks less than useless in terms of a swap. No means of transferring points to another member so is only option donating them to charity in 100 point lots.

I have the same issue so I’ll be ringing them tomorrow.
    On my home page it says I have 865 points. My transaction page last week, it showed 1175 points. Now the same page is showing 775 and nothing for a couple of transactions I made last week before the deadline.
    I know a colleague of mine let a few thousand points accumulate for years or so he thought. When he went to spend them last year, he was told that some had expired. Not sure of the outcome.

Advertisement