Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir Unlimited Data PAYG sim in a TP-Link 4G Router

• 24-08-2019 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi guys,

Just wondering would an Eir PAYG sim work in my 4G router?

Currently with Three but speed are getting worse month by month and I have an Eir mast close to the house.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Possibly, an eir broadband SIM works in a phone.

Eir's 'No Limits' is so recent that the 80GB fair use probably hasn't been tested by anyone yet. So there might be some sort of restriction over the 80GB, time will tell. The only thing to note is that eir probably care more about their network than 3 so might pay more heed to excessive use. OTOH Eir's network is probably less congested as a lot of it's users have fixed line broadband whereas 3 PAYG customers might have nothing else except a smartphone. Eir don't have any MVNOs either whereas Vodafone have just one and 3 have all the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TonyAdams1998

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Possibly, an eir broadband SIM works in a phone.

Eir's 'No Limits' is so recent that the 80GB fair use probably hasn't been tested by anyone yet. So there might be some sort of restriction over the 80GB, time will tell. The only thing to note is that eir probably care more about their network than 3 so might pay more heed to excessive use. OTOH Eir's network is probably less congested as a lot of it's users have fixed line broadband whereas 3 PAYG customers might have nothing else except a smartphone. Eir don't have any MVNOs either whereas Vodafone have just one and 3 have all the rest.

Yeah I just put my Vodafone bill pay sim into the router to see the speeds that could pull in but it wouldn't connect to the internet. Just don't wanna buy an Eir sim and be 20 quid down for nothing

Did you check the APN in the router?

Anyway be careful with bill pay SIMs in case they charge extra for tethering, which is effectively what happens in a router. VF have emptied credit on a few people tethering on a PAYG phone SIM.

You could get the eir SIM with just a 5 euro top up to test it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 TonyAdams1998

Ten Pin wrote: »
    Did you check the APN in the router?

Anyway be careful with bill pay SIMs in case they charge extra for tethering, which is effectively what happens in a router. VF have emptied credit on a few people tethering on a PAYG phone SIM.

You could get the eir SIM with just a 5 euro top up to test it out.

Sorry not the most tech savvy, what does the router VPN mean?

Yeah tbh I think I'm just gonna bit the bullet and test it out.

APN: Access Point Name
    It's the address the phone uses to access the ISP. It'll be something like 'live.Vodafone.com'

In a phone, it will most likely be automatically set but if the router had another SIM then it may need to be set manually or else power off and on again.

Have you tethered (hotpsot) with the VF SIM in the phone before? If tethering worked that way then it should also work in a router, as long as the APN is correct. Search online for how to set APN on your specific router.

Is the router network unlocked or was it bought from 3?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Sorry not the most tech savvy, what does the router VPN mean?

Yeah tbh I think I'm just gonna bit the bullet and test it out.
    APN , not VPN

https://editorsean.com/articles/irish-mobile-broadband-sim-card-apn-settings/

• Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

How can they possibly market it as no limits with an 80GB monthy limit that could easily be done in a single day?

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭grinder23

It's 80gb fair usage when 80 is reached the speed is reduced still allowing access to Internet when 160gb is reached the speed is reduced further allowing access to email and basic browsing hence how they market as unlimited, you won't be cut off like before

And a prepay sim will work fine in a router just need to change the apn to data.myeirmobile.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,058 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

How can they possibly market it as no limits with an 80GB monthy limit that could easily be done in a single day?
    Big F***ING hole in legislation allowing ISP's to market it with small print.

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭grinder23

Big F***ING hole in legislation allowing ISP's to market it with small print.

But it is unlimited there is no cut off just reduced speeds if they enforce them

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭homingbird

Hi has anyone tried this out do they cut you after 80gb other networks use to say the same but didnt cut you.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭robbiep958

I have been using the Eir no limits Data for 2 months now and i can safely say my speeds have not been reduced after passing the 80GB data fair usage Limit! using well over 200gb a month over past 2 months and no complaint with the speeds here still the same!

As you can see my speeds are pretty good and used well over 80GB since last topup with my speeds unaffected!

Data: https://ibb.co/B68y3Lp
    Speed :https://ibb.co/p4KvmzF

• Registered Users Posts: 12 CJITI

Sorry for butting into this thread but I am getting terrible broadband speeds in my new address. Would using a GoMo SIM in a Huawei B525 router to get 3/4G mobile internet be a good idea? €10 a month for 80GB internet seems like a good deal...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Gooser14

CJITI wrote:
    Sorry for butting into this thread but I am getting terrible broadband speeds in my new address. Would using a GoMo SIM in a Huawei B525 router to get 3/4G mobile internet be a good idea? €10 a month for 80GB internet seems like a good deal...

Will depend on how good the GoMo signal is at your location.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

I can confirm that GoMo throttles the speed when you reach 80GB. My speed is now 0.2Mbps more or less unusable. I was getting speeds of 30Mbps before I hit the 80GB limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 CJITI

I can confirm that GoMo throttles the speed when you reach 80GB. My speed is now 0.2Mbps more or less unusable. I was getting speeds of 30Mbps before I hit the 80GB limit.

That's annoying. Thanks for letting me know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,532 ✭✭✭Gooser14

CJITI wrote:

What's the reception from 3 like where you are. If it's good then just get a 3 phone sim for Eur 20 for 28 days. It has a 60GB FUP but they don't seem to throttle it if exceeded.

Yes the same here used over 80GB and now my speed is at 0.10 of a mb lol!!

Wil be staying with eir directly now, i was only testing GOMO and i see they also have a terrible customer service department which is non existent !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭marrakechheat

Well I am with Eir No Limits Data, Unlimited Calls (20euro) and I have noticed the speed has dropped to less than 1mb the past couple of days when going over 80gb limit. I went over the 80gb limit the previous month and it never effected the speed whatsoever and I was able to get on average 20mb.

They must be doing this across all there unlimited data plans now?

Well I am with Eir No Limits Data, Unlimited Calls (20euro) and I have noticed the speed has dropped to less than 1mb the past couple of days when going over 80gb limit. I went over the 80gb limit the previous month and it never effected the speed whatsoever and I was able to get on average 20mb.

They must be doing this across all there unlimited data plans now?

Well if thats case thats a load of bull ****. I will be testing them again this week but i havent had any problems with the limit on eir!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭marrakechheat

So I topped up today with another 20e and had to reset my plan to unlimited texts to get things back up and running. My top up was due next week but it was so slow loading up websites you couldn't use it!

Will be looking for another provider in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭selfbuilder1

Eir must have changed to enforcing a hard 80GB data limit. Previously when I went over the 80GB there was no slow down in data speeds but this month it slows down so much as to make it virtually unusable. Back to the drawing board.

Advertisement