Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Market - Europe

• 18-09-2019 5:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi,

Looking for a recommendation for a Christmas Market get a away with my wife in Europe.

We have two young kids that will be left at home but that will mean a short trip (two nights max) so looking for somewhere that is a short enough direct flight and easy to navigate once we get there as wont have much time for travelling?

Ideally looking for an old style market with nice food options and somewhere to have a quiet drink in the evening.

Any recommendations.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Germany seems to be a big hit for the Elves here.

More details are on this thread here.

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057986156/3

I’m sure the elves can recommend more. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Have been to a few "chocolate-box" places in Germany but never when the Christmas markets were on. Would go back to all of them in a heartbeat:

Heidelberg - closest airport: Frankfurt
    Koblenz - closest airport: Cologne
    Monschau - again, Cologne

Salzburg in Austria, too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Oh, and another spot which I liked and where I thought "wish to back at Christmas time" was Gdansk in Poland !
    Really charming and cosy city centre.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Germany

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I’ve been to a fair few and my faves have been Germany and Poland.

Cologne is fab, the setting right by the Cathedral for the big market is great.

Berlin is great for having other stuff to so as well as markets.

Krakow was small but lovely when we went.

My wife rates Vienna higher than all of them but I haven’t been yet for the markets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭DvB

otnomart wrote: »
    Oh, and another spot which I liked and where I thought "wish to back at Christmas time" was Gdansk in Poland !
    Really charming and cosy city centre.

Gdansk is such a pretty city, there & Krakow easily the 2 nicest places in Poland i've been to.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Just more help our friends over at the Travel forum have a bumper Christmas Market thread, with loads of tips and advice.

It can be found here;

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057058086

• Registered Users Posts: 22,220 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

Vienna is a beautiful city at Christmas and there markets are quite good and I would highly recommend it. Berlin a close second :)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Munich was lovely, my mum went to Krakow last year but didn't rate the markets. Going to Vienna this year and all the reviews I've seen are good so looking forward to it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,104 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Vienna is another beautiful city, have only ever been during the summer months though I imagine its even prettier in winter. Pricey enough when I was there last though.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Berlin is good as each district has a market plus the city is good value. Munich is my favorite (medieval market) as there is so much to do plus the mountains are a short train journey for some skiing/sledging in a alpine town.

Vienna markets were amazing the year I went. Really handy to get around Vienna too. Good transport, they have an underground as well. I'd love to go back this year!!! Sigh!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,359 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

Vienna markets were amazing the year I went. Really handy to get around Vienna too. Good transport, they have an underground as well. I'd love to go back this year!!! Sigh!

Even more amazing if you can stay on for New Year's Eve.

Even more amazing if you can stay on for New Year's Eve.

I'd love to!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Has anyone ever been to the Christmas markets in Budapest? My fiancé has family in Hungary so we were thinking a visit in December to coincide with the markets could be nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭flahers

Last year we went to the best Christmas market in Europe.......Wroclaw in Poland. A stunning city and the market is so much better than Krakow. Gdańsk is also great and closer to home York in the Uk has beautiful market and there’s so much to see there too. Castle Howard outside the city is breathtaking at christmas. Another unheard of beautiful market is Muenster in Germany, fly ito Düsseldorf and get the train.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭juke

Scarinae wrote: »
    Has anyone ever been to the Christmas markets in Budapest? My fiancas family in Hungary so we were thinking a visit in December to coincide with the markets could be nice!

Never been, but have just booked for the first weekend in December.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,378 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

I'm going to Brussels with the gals from work for the first weekend in December. I've never done any Christmas markets so hoping to wander about with some hot chocolate and waffles and soak in the atmosphere.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭ksceniaonegina

Prague is a romantic place in winter. Or if you have the funds Iceland!

Advertisement