Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

peaktime.ie - IE Service to incentivise staggered commutes

• 23-09-2019 9:06am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

This is a solution IE are proposing to DART commuters to avoid peak time overcrowding. It's hilarious and depressing at the same time.
    “Peaktime.ie will show commuters who are in a position to alter commuting times how a change of even ten minutes in some instances will find quieter trains,” a company spokesperson said.

The information on the website will be expanded in the coming months to include all commuter trains in the greater Dublin area.

I'm fairly sure that people who have the option to alter commuting times don't go at peak anyway (everyone I know already does this). Are they really targeting this demographic or are they just out of resources to allocate more capacity and driving this drivel to commuters insted?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,714 ✭✭✭Xterminator

they cannot allocate train carriages they don't have. Due to the track gauge in ireland they cant just buy a handful of carriages form our neighbours. so its mainly window dressing, but thats all that they can do

Unless they bring in pricing polices that promotes off peak travel. they would have to alter/ do away with weekly capping, andf or free pass travel times etc. Cant see that happening.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Don't post often in Transport so please go easy on me ;)

There are quite a few places in my locale (Not Dublin) that offer their employees flexi-time start and end times but where the vast majority of people stick to a working range of 8-6 with the main cohort being 9.30 to 5.

A lot of that is due to external factors, outside of employer flexibility.
    Kids getting to school would be the primary one IMO.
    Couple that with 3rd level commuting demand and the benefits gained by moving workers to adjusted demand is lost when the base load of students is constant.

Demand management and staggered start times does have IMO a part to play in improving the efficiency of the capacity available.

Its a far more sensible approach IMO, to work on spreading the demand across multiple hours, rather than adding capacity to cover the peak demand periods and having oversupply of capacity being underutilized for the entirety of the day.

It allows capacity to be better utilized without immediate and costly capital expenditure, that in any case would take years to bring extra capacity online.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

The first thing I thought of when I saw this news:

3bamkw.jpg[/url]

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

It's nice to know that where there are people struggling to get on Commuter services this morning , at least DART users could put their mind at ease by working out via this handy :rolleyes: website when to travel *

* Actually they couldn't because the website wasnt functioning properly most of this morning!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,993 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

What about bringing the 2700 class DMUs back into service.

25 vehicles sitting in Inchicore, unused, need to be fixed up.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,194 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Geuze wrote: »
    What about bringing the 2700 class DMUs back into service.

25 vehicles sitting in Inchicore, unused, need to be fixed up.

Apparently it'll cost too much, as there's so much work to be done on them to bring them up to a safe standard, plus it'd take too long. They wouldn't be in service long before the Dart expansion carriages start coming on stream.

Unfortunately, it looks like we'll just be stuck with current service levels until that point. I assume that's why they're rolling out this website, because they can't do anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 LazerShark

See also takethebusinstead.ie or carzone.ie, from your friends in Irish Rail.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,227 ✭✭✭Breezer

thomasj wrote: »
    It's nice to know that where there are people struggling to get on Commuter services this morning , at least DART users could put their mind at ease by working out via this handy :rolleyes: website when to travel *

* Actually they couldn't because the website wasnt functioning properly most of this morning!
    Peaktime.ie users have been asked to stagger the times they use the website, in order to reduce load on the server and ensure a more comfortable experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

It's useless
    I checked a station I used to use 10 years ago when I lived in Dublin and all it does is tell me the morning is busy

https://peaktime.ie/station/clontarf-road

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,129 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

ELM327 wrote: »
    It's useless
    I checked a station I used to use 10 years ago when I lived in Dublin and all it does is tell me the morning is busy

https://peaktime.ie/station/clontarf-road

So go to work after 9am, problem sorted! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,224 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So go to work after 9am, problem sorted! :pac:
    Now that is an irish rail style solution

Works for me as I a) dont live on a dart line, b) can work from home if needed and c) dont have a defined start or finish time.

Not for the majority though.

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭alentejo

They should have never got rid of the MKIII's in the way they did. They cut back way too much during the recession and now IR are paying the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭bikeman1

That web page that they created has to be the most useless piece of rubbish I have seen online in quite some time!

Morning Peak - Into Dublin CC - Trains between 07:30 and 09:00 will be busier - Oh really, I never would have guessed!!! I'd love to know how many days were wasted putting this nonsense together.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to be fair, i'm chuckling about this. not saying it's the same bunch of people on each side, but you often hear 'we should stagger when schools start' arguments, but when there's a 'you should try staggering when you go into work', there's pretty universal condemnation of the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,643 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

to be fair, i'm chuckling about this. not saying it's the same bunch of people on each side, but you often hear 'we should stagger when schools start' arguments, but when there's a 'you should try staggering when you go into work', there's pretty universal condemnation of the idea.

"kids should cycle to school"
    why don't you cycle to work
    "GTFO!"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,833 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

christ! the definition of banana republic in the dictionary should just say "ireland"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

So you can only check DART services in 1 direction towards city, and in the morning .

About as useful as an underwater hairdryer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,214 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Half assed solution from a half assed organisation

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nekro Man

All this does is piss me off by pointing out how frequent darts are vs a commuter.

God forbid someone living further away than Malahide has to commute.

Nekro Man wrote: »
    All this does is piss me off by pointing out how frequent darts are vs a commuter.

God forbid someone living further away than Malahide has to commute.

Fairly standard everywhere to expect that frequency decreases with increases in commuting distance

• Advertisement

What's the actual incentive?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭Nekro Man

lawred2 wrote: »
    Fairly standard everywhere to expect that frequency decreases with increases in commuting distance

Fair point however considering its still County Dublin (albiet North county) it's a point of frustration.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

Just let the Germans take over. It’s actually disgusting how the government has let it get into such a state. Also on commuter trains it’s quite disgusting to have to stand on a train that’s designed for long distance travel. I have had to do it too many times from Naas and Celbridge. Not pretty.

There is no transport network. We need at least 3 metro lines, DART underground, and the DART expansion. Even then, we will not have caught up with other European countries but it would be acceptable. By the time all of that was completed, it would be probably over budget and in 100 years time so overcapacity.

Nekro Man wrote: »
    Fair point however considering its still County Dublin (albiet North county) it's a point of frustration.

There are 'plans' to extend the DART northwards.. wouldn't hold my breath.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭serfboard

'you should try staggering when you go into work'
    I tried staggering when I went into work - but my boss accused me of being drunk ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,655 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Whoever felt the need to create a website for this should be given a P45.

Thousands of people already do this and the fundamental problem will not be solved as those that move will just be replaced by new passengers and you are back to square one.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

What I don't understand is that why they didn't do it for the evening as well, as in my experience at least, the evening is far worse for me passengers wise when commuting compared to the morning.

One colleague remarked that they didn't see Grand Canal Dock there, because they'd all have to be red, but in reality it's probably as they think people are commuting to there instead of from there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

lawred2 wrote: »
    What's the actual incentive?

A reduced risk of fainting

The microscopic Luas peak fare difference was got rid of so I can't see a replacement as likely

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

devnull wrote: »
    What I don't understand is that why they didn't do it for the evening as well, as in my experience at least, the evening is far worse for me passengers wise when commuting compared to the morning.
    i used to go bus/luas to work - would leave the house around 7am, in the office at 8ish (i work a lot with people on the continent, so this made sense from a workday point of view anyway), and would leave the office around 4/4:30. generally speaking, the commute in the evening was half an hour longer than the commute in the morning. the morning rush hour seems to be more concentrated, or at least on the commute i had.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Simple truth is this is the austerity and year's of cutting funding and treating public transport as a money making machine instead of a critical infrastructure coming back to haunt everyone. Simply put it's not physically possible to get more carriages right now as they take time to build and ship in. Trying to repair broken stock would take to long to bring back up to standard and ultimately it's an unviable plan.

Simply put blame the company all you want but the goverment is the one that controls the purse strings and the past lack of investment is biting everyone now. This is why the rail should be treated as infrastructure not as a money making semi state.

Advertisement