Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tayto Park

• 21-04-2018 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭info13

Hi all,

Looking at Tayto Park a day out in June 2 adults, 1child age 6.

Looking online was thinking 1adult and 1 child entry with wristbands and 1 adult just admission.

Anybody have any advice or best deals to go for?

Would consider staying overnight somewhere before too?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭will56

info13 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Looking at Tayto Park a day out in June 2 adults, 1child age 6.

Looking online was thinking 1adult and 1 child entry with wristbands and 1 adult just admission.

Anybody have any advice or best deals to go for?

Would consider staying overnight somewhere before too?

Thanks.

If its a fine day and the child can go on most/all of the rides get the wristbands.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭duffysfarm

pilo hotel ashbourne is nearest hotel to it https://www.pillohotelashbourne.com/

http://www.snailbox.ie/ is a family run b&b and restaurant which is nearer still - hard to beat the food here.

you wouldnt be too far away from the zoo if you wanted to try and do that also

• Registered Users Posts: 84,319 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Anyone know best hotels offering deals with transport to get to and from?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    Anyone know best hotels offering deals with transport to get to and from?

Don't know about deals but there is public transport to/from the Pilo hotel - Bus Eireann goes into the park.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Moac

Are Tayto Park rides suitable for a 5 year-old?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 Moac

Are Tayto Park rides suitable for a 5 year-old?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭closifer

All depends on height but we brought my five year old last month and he had a blast and went on a lot

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Would wrist bands be needed for a 6&8 year old?

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

beertons wrote: »
    Would wrist bands be needed for a 6&8 year old?

Think of it that way:
    Admission is €15.50.
    The wrist band is another €15 (or thereabouts).

A ride is between 3 and 5 tokens (except baby rides that are mostly 2 tokens). A token is €1.

A wrist band is a commitment to fun and trying as many things as you want (and repeating as many as you like).

Going with tokens will end up making budgeting decisions and trade offs all the time.

I know what my decision is when I take my kids to a theme park.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Think of it that way:
    Admission is €15.50.
    The wrist band is another €15 (or thereabouts).

A ride is between 3 and 5 tokens (except baby rides that are mostly 2 tokens). A token is €1.

A wrist band is a commitment to fun and trying as many things as you want (and repeating as many as you like).

Going with tokens will end up making budgeting decisions and trade offs all the time.

I know what my decision is when I take my kids to a theme park.

We're well done of Tayto park. Got the bands alright. But the waiting, killer. I won't be back, that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭goalscoringhero

We're well done of Tayto park. Got the bands alright. But the waiting, killer. I won't be back, that's for sure.

We went yesterday and the maximum waiting time was 10 minutes for the rides we went on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Hal3000

Was there today. 45 mins for the Viking splash ride or whatever it’s called. One thing that was off putting for me was the constant smell of silage from the surrounding fields and the amount of plastic crap left about the place.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭bladespin

We went yesterday and the maximum waiting time was 10 minutes for the rides we went on.

Really depends on when you go, last time we were there the worst queue was for the roller-coaster and that was less than 10mins, but I've heard horror stories, not sure we can blame the park for that one.

The costs though, really are a bit on the ridiculous side for anything more than a special occasion, if they want repeat visits there really would have to be reduced admission at the least €120 for a family of 4 is a bit on the steep side for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,637 ✭✭✭Milly33

Hey just looking for a bit of info, we have tickets booked to go Friday to the park.. What are the best restaurants to eat there. going with two kids so do not want to be fussing about.. planning to bring a picnic but just incase we cant

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Milly33 wrote: »
    Hey just looking for a bit of info, we have tickets booked to go Friday to the park.. What are the best restaurants to eat there. going with two kids so do not want to be fussing about.. planning to bring a picnic but just incase we cant

Im not sure which are best, but as far as i know they are all only doing take away now from them, so you have to sit outside after you get your food.

Thanks andreac sure we got there, and took a picnic in with us so all good.. Tis a funny spot not too sure what to make of it.. We did have a fun day (bar some people just being so stupid with one way systems and the distancing).. A little iffed about the price we paid alright to get in.. Our little one was just the 84cm so she could only go on a few rides, which was fine but we paid for a band for her and sure we had also paid for a full access band for us.. Which in the end was a bit silly but sure, and then we had a baby with us and the one family ride we could go on, i was told I needed a band for him too I was just like really that was a bit much...But well know better for next time

bladespin wrote: »
    if they want repeat visits there really would have to be reduced admission at the least €120 for a family of 4 is a bit on the steep side for me.

Just out of curiosity, why do you think that's expensive? €30 each for a day out, that's not time-limited, and features a massive variety of things to do, seems cheap to me (personally speaking).

Now, I'm not too clued into Tayto's pricing, but i presume that's including ride access, etc. (perhaps I'd agree it's not great value if you still have to spend on tokens, etc) but if that's all-in, I think it's hard to complain about it.

Local cinema here has a special offer for 2 adults and 2 kids, which is €40 and includes the film and popcorn/drink for each person, must be used before 5pm. In comparison, I think Tayto Park offers much better value, in terms of what they give you for your money.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Tails142

There's not much for young kids under 8 in tayto park to go on, I think that's crazy they wanted a band for the baby to go on a ride.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Tails142 wrote: »
    There's not much for young kids under 8 in tayto park to go on, I think that's crazy they wanted a band for the baby to go on a ride.

There's loads for under 8's. The whole eagles nest area, the mechanical horses, the merry go around, the train, the driving school, the viking voyage,flight school.

Then the playgrounds. I think it's a great spot for kids.

Its grand like im just saying that it is defo missing something, and yeah well say 31 euro per adult to go into the park and go on what two rides.

If we went without kids grand you can have a field day but what im saying is they should have been a bit more honest regarding the little one, that we could have gotten away with just paying the entry free (if the day is about the kids and not the adults) and then for those what for those fantastic three rides that she could go on she would have had to be with one of us so.. And the charge for a 10mth old that is mad, the only one ride we could go on..

• Advertisement

Ah in fairness for 8 year olds there is plenty well kinda of actually they would probably be in between what they could go on, but for a short kid under 3 there isnt a lot and yep the baby thing really annoyed me...i meant it was something like kids waltzer honey bears or something it was called so we would have been taking up one cart anywhy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

The costs though, really are a bit on the ridiculous side for anything more than a special occasion, if they want repeat visits there really would have to be reduced admission at the least €120 for a family of 4 is a bit on the steep side for me.

€410 for an annual pass (family of 4) and go as often as you like.

http://www.taytopark.ie/visitor-information/family-membership

Also, if it was within the last month, you can deduct the €120 you already paid from the season pass.

Also includes 20% off dining.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,327 ✭✭✭bladespin

Scotty # wrote: »
    €410 for an annual pass (family of 4) and go as often as you like.

http://www.taytopark.ie/visitor-information/family-membership

Also, if it was within the last month, you can deduct the €120 you already paid from the season pass.

Also includes 20% off dining.

It's crazy expensive alright, that's still €410 to go to the fair tbh, there's really not that much to it, great day out but you'd tire of it quick enough.

I've never really understood those passes tbh, we bought one for the Zoo a few years ago, went twice in the end, how often would you actually want to go???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

It's crazy expensive alright, never understood those passes tbh, we bought one for the Zoo a few years ago, went twice in the end, how often would you actually go???

We actually used to go the Zoo a lot as its near. Didn't renew due to lock down.

Tayto prices seem very high though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

...we bought one for the Zoo a few years ago, went twice in the end, how often would you actually want to go???
    My kids have outgrown it so I haven't been in years. I have work colleagues though that would go several times per month. They live nearby.
    beauf wrote: »
    Tayto prices seem very high though.
    They're high because it's so popular. Any nice Sunday in the summer and the place is jammed. I'm surprised they haven't opened one in Munster or Connaught.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Dublin'09

We wanted to go wit our 4 year olds and one year old this Monday for the first time but unfortunately it’s all booked out.

Advertisement