Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Keeping feet dry in the worst of it

• 23-09-2019 9:32am
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So...on Saturday I was in an outing with a bunch of lunatics in the heavy rain.

My GG top kept me perfectly dry, my trousers are not GG so in time leaked into my waist and eventually I enjoyed the thigh waterfall joy. Can fix that with a GG purchase.

But despite pretty new waterproof shoes the constant running of water off my trousers and the lace/tongue weak point left me with two personal swimming pools, feet bloated white in the car park and socks fell apart and left with bleeding heels from the soaked socks rubbing against the shoes.
    Shoes are Adi zero (I know they're old model but I just didn't get around to using them until a few months back).

Any tips to keep those feet dry guys?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

I find ecco gore-tex shoes always keep my feet dry with GG trousers. one exception, I was out in terrible conditions and stepped into what I thought was a small puddle but ended up being about 7 inches down to a drain cover, nothing is going to keep your feet dry when it comes in over the top.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Sealskinz waterproof socks. Pricey but very much worth the cost.
    https://www.sealskinz.com/socks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Tabnabs wrote: »
    Sealskinz waterproof socks. Pricey but very much worth the cost.
    https://www.sealskinz.com/socks

Bit pricey alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

There is some shoes you can get which are waterproof to the top of the tongue - not sure on make but I do recall seeing them somewhere.
    Quick google search brings up these horrible things :O
    https://www.discountgolfstore.co.uk/footjoy-waterproof-golf-boots-50018.html?msclkid=325f6f0479cc189f919e328ce729b0eb&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping&utm_term=4576785874380555&utm_content=FootJoy%20Golf

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭ronnie3585

djivide_ wrote: »
    I find ecco gore-tex shoes always keep my feet dry with GG trousers.

This is what I have. Been out in monsoon rain and they've never let me down once.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

etxp wrote: »
    There is some shoes you can get which are waterproof to the top of the tongue - not sure on make but I do recall seeing them somewhere.
    Quick google search brings up these horrible things :O
    https://www.discountgolfstore.co.uk/footjoy-waterproof-golf-boots-50018.html?msclkid=325f6f0479cc189f919e328ce729b0eb&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shopping&utm_term=4576785874380555&utm_content=FootJoy%20Golf

ehhh, you can keep them! lol

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭REFLINE1

slave1 wrote: »
    So...on Saturday I was in an outing with a bunch of lunatics in the heavy rain.

My GG top kept me perfectly dry, my trousers are not GG so in time leaked into my waist and eventually I enjoyed the thigh waterfall joy. Can fix that with a GG purchase.

But despite pretty new waterproof shoes the constant running of water off my trousers and the lace/tongue weak point left me with two personal swimming pools, feet bloated white in the car park and socks fell apart and left with bleeding heels from the soaked socks rubbing against the shoes.
    Shoes are Adi zero (I know they're old model but I just didn't get around to using them until a few months back).

Any tips to keep those feet dry guys?

prob a stupid question but what does GG stand for?

Galvin Green wet gear.

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭REFLINE1

Galvin Green wet gear.

ah ok, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭A New earth

They have the waterproof socks about once a year in Aldi for about €16 I think. I'll post here if I see them again, they work well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

Seve OB wrote: »
    ehhh, you can keep them! lol

They look like they would be a very good contraceptive :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Ecco biom G 2 is what I have. Ecco have both goretext and some other waterproofing tech (not as good). Try get the goretext. My shoes are probably 2 years old now and they didn't make it through Dooks without getting a little bit wet, but only slightly damp and Dooks was the most extreme test of rain gear!

The waterproofing has been excellent on these. I have treated them previously with leather softener stuff before which keep the material soft and helps the waterproofness. A new treatment is probably due again!

Even though they have been good for me they are not perfect and it's difficult to justify the spend. Ecco spikes are very poor quality and break quickly, they do their own propriety replacement spikes (which will obviously likely start breaking again). I haven't been able to buy the correct replacement spikes even in major stores that sell the brand.

That said, mine are nearing the end of their useful life, I'll probably try pick up a replace pair for winter if I can spot any on the cheap.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

I find ecco gore-tex shoes always keep my feet dry with GG trousers. one exception, I was out in terrible conditions and stepped into what I thought was a small puddle but ended up being about 7 inches down to a drain cover, nothing is going to keep your feet dry when it comes in over the top.
    ronnie3585 wrote: »
    This is what I have. Been out in monsoon rain and they've never let me down once.
    RoadRunner wrote: »
    Ecco biom G 2 is what I have. Ecco have both goretext and some other waterproofing tech (not as good). Try get the goretext. My shoes are probably 2 years old now and they didn't make it through Dooks without getting a little bit wet, but only slightly damp and Dooks was the most extreme test of rain gear!

The waterproofing has been excellent on these. I have treated them previously with leather softener stuff before which keep the material soft and helps the waterproofness. A new treatment is probably due again!

Even though they have been good for me they are not perfect and it's difficult to justify the spend. Ecco spikes are very poor quality and break quickly, they do their own propriety replacement spikes (which will obviously likely start breaking again). I haven't been able to buy the correct replacement spikes even in major stores that sell the brand.

That said, mine are nearing the end of their useful life, I'll probably try pick up a replace pair for winter if I can spot any on the cheap.

Christ they are expensive, I usually just stay at home if it's raining, never mind raining bad or even downpours.
    I'm off on the hols to the States next month so I'll keep an eye on the outlet stores for these chaps and get them if within reasonable price bracket

Christ they are expensive, I usually just stay at home if it's raining, never mind raining bad or even downpours.
    I'm off on the hols to the States next month so I'll keep an eye on the outlet stores for these chaps and get them if within reasonable price bracket

Picked up two pairs in kildare village there about 3 weeks ago, one gore tex and one biom hybrid (not gore tex) for 205 euro for both.

I generally keep an eye out for deals and pick them up when cheap and have a few spares.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Worth keeping an eye on the Ecco website, they had 50% on everything at some point last year & I picked up a pair at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

Yeah. I agree. Need to find them on sale!

I play 8am ish and generally there's dew in the deeper grass. So even if conditions are perfect and I'm shirt and shorts, I still find I need some sort of waterproofing on the shoes. Nothing as bad as looking for a ball on #1 and then having wet feet for the rest of the day.

I'm sure there's other brands that do full waterproof. I've had skechers that were very good initially, possibly better, more comfortable then the ecco. But they've given up completely when it's damp after only slightly more then a year. I'd get another pair of these, but you just need to bear in mind that a year is the lifetime that you're going to stay dry with them if you're using them in bad conditions. Ecco will be simply be waterproof for longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,846 ✭✭✭Russman

I haven't tried Ecco golf shoes, but I usually find that when all's said and done, I end up back with the old faithful Dryjoys for the winter months.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Erra check the forecast before playing, no fun playing in heavy rain.

Bought an umbrella attachment for trolley - works really well.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 15,820 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Erra check the forecast before playing, no fun playing in heavy rain.

Bought an umbrella attachment for trolley - works really well.

Erra it was the boards captains prize. We had gone away overnight playing a bucket list course. Sometimes you just have to endure pain.

Any other day, none of us would have gotten out of bed. Oh yea, i have a Brolly attachment myself but find it is ****e at keeping my feet dry :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17,650 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Seve OB wrote: »
    Erra it was the boards captains prize. We had gone away overnight playing a bucket list course. Sometimes you just have to endure pain.

Any other day, none of us would have gotten out of bed. Oh yea, i have a Brolly attachment myself but find it is ****e at keeping my feet dry :D

Waterproof socks & jocks so :pac:

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,003 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

the ECCO shoes used to be better, on some of the models I have seen, although gore-tex, the tongue is not atached to the goretex inner so its a weakpoint.

Any waterproof shoe needs to be waterproof up to the ankle or its pointless when you walk through wet rough (looking for someone elses ball obviously!)

Their own version is Yak Leather, its fine for a summer shower but you will get wet in them.

Decided to go for

I've never tried waterproof socks but tbh I kinda dont get the point....
    so the outside of the sock and the inside of your shoe gets wet...but your skin is just cold and clammy instead of being wet?....is that really any better?

Maybe I'm being harsh as I've never used them...?

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭plumber77

GreeBo wrote: »
    so the outside of the sock and the inside of your shoe gets wet...but your skin is just cold and clammy instead of being wet?....is that really any better?

Me too. Can someone explain the logic behind them and if they are any use?

GreeBo wrote: »

Won't get cold in Summer, won't finish the round with skin all bloated white and heels cut

Won't get cold in Summer, won't finish the round with skin all bloated white and heels cut

Why would they make you any warmer in summer?

If your heels are getting cut then I'd say thats a different problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭newindublin

If you need to waterproofing your socks you have already lost, in my opinion.

My feet were dry through most of the round at Dooks, due to my shoes being good quality(Skechers Go Golf Pro) and my pants being pretty solid. My jacket was ****, which eventually leaked down into my pants and by around 13-14 holes my feet finally got wet.

My solution for the next time something like this happens was to get a GG waterproof jacket, which i promptly did this week.

A mini pair of gaiters are ideal for keeping the water out of your shoes (assuming a good quality, goretext shoe)
    most of the rain gets in as you walk and bend over, running down the back of your wetgear trousers and onto your sock.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Played through torrential rain on Saturday, wanted to pack it in after 9 but it was a comp and the fella I was playing with wanted to keep going. Skechers go golf elite v3 did a good job, kept my feet mostly dry. Under Armour gore-tex jacket did a good job too. Mizuno rain paints let me down though, I think water got in via the front pockets and it looked like I pissed myself when I took them off after the round

• Advertisement

If the forecast is deffo rain i leave my golf trousers at home and throw in some pocket and zip free hiking Gore Tex trousers.

Pockets and zipper have left me wet too many times, even in GG Gore tex so now i don't bother, leave the card in the bag and stick a tee up under my hat and just get on with it.

Advertisement