Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

CIE preparing to sell Broadstone Depot

• 22-09-2019 4:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭

Article in Journal about a tender for a feasibility study about a relocation due to “demand”. I would say due to “profit”.

I can see merits in a move plus the benefits of housing etc along the Green Luas but CIE should be honest about it. Wasn't long ago they tried to stop the Luas route there now they might take full advantage.

Anyone think of where they might move to and I am sure there could be benefits to a second depot instead of a relocation.

https://www.thejournal.ie/bus-eireann-study-4817445-Sep2019/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭john boye

A site near the airport would make sense.

Aren't DB having work done in it at the moment to turn it into a fully operational garage?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

How will this work with Dublin Bus also operating out of Broadstone?

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

personally I can't see this happening for some time soon, sure DB are building new a depot at the rear of Broadstone the old technical dept. sheds.
    And it was in the Journal?.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,925 ✭✭✭GM228

How will this work with Dublin Bus also operating out of Broadstone?

DB operate out of Phibsborough Depot which is actually separate to Broadstone though to make things more complicated they have two separate driver depots there, the main one is Phibsborough, with a second small pool of Broadstone based drivers (around 15 drivers IIRC - someone may correct), this is an old legacy depot comprising of completely marked in drivers with Phibrborough acting as the relief depot.

Back to the OP, to note BE are not looking to sell Broadstone, rather they are looking at the feasibility of a proposed move of Broadstone depot and related offices and services to another location.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

and with the 13/40's moving there next year I don't see it closing soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

ITV2 wrote: »
    and with the 13/40's moving there next year I don't see it closing soon.

We're DB not planning a Depot at Grange Castle?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

thomasj wrote: »
    We're DB not planning a Depot at Grange Castle?

They let the option on the land expire years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

GM228 wrote: »
    DB operate out of Phibsborough Depot which is actually separate to Broadstone though to make things more complicated they have two separate driver depots there, the main one is Phibsborough, with a second small pool of Broadstone based drivers (around 15 drivers IIRC - someone may correct), this is an old legacy depot comprising of completely marked in drivers with Phibrborough acting as the relief depot.

Back to the OP, to note BE are not looking to sell Broadstone, rather they are looking at the feasibility of a proposed move of Broadstone depot and related offices and services to another location.

They have been proposing that along with various suggested sites (Connolly station carpark anyone?) for decades.

I think that currently the smart money is on letting the NTA chip away at their services until there is nothing left needing to move.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Connolly carpark has been sold already

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

L1011 wrote: »
    Connolly carpark has been sold already

I know. It had been proposed by BE management as a site for a replacement for Broadstone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Come on now, CIE suddenly look at the bigger picture and interests of passengers long term.

I don't expect the sale anytime soon but you can guarantee this is simply not just about a relocation.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Vic_08 wrote: »
    I think that currently the smart money is on letting the NTA chip away at their services until there is nothing left needing to move.

Well they have direct award until 2024 now so providing that performance doesn't fall of a cliff and they don't ask for unreasonable amounts of money when the bus network is redesigned then I can't see much being chipped away at in the next 5 years or so to be honest.

Advertisement