Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car to buy?

• 11-09-2019 9:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 36

Hi there,

Long time reader of posts, first time poster.

I'm looking for advice on my next vehicle purchase. I'm finding it hard to narrow down my search to suit my needs. I'm currently driving a 98 Toyota Avensis 1.6 petrol. My insurance is up in December and my insurance company said they are not auto renewing it this year. I let my insurance auto renew the last few years as with the age of the car I was afraid to switch. Just checking out a few insurance companies online and I think I'm going to struggle to insure the car this year so with regret I think it is time for switch.

I have been looking at Golfs, Passats, Mazda3 and 6's, Jimny's, Outlanders, Vitara's, Civics, Accords etc and just cant make my mind up what would suit.

For work I commute 50 miles a day so I dont mind if it is petrol or diesel. I have to go from Donegal to Dublin and back once every 3-4weeks. Diesel does scare me a bit with all the stuff that can go wrong and we have a diesel car in the household anyway - the wife has a diesel golf plus.

I do have a new born so a 4-5 door would be handy but not essential.

It has to be reliable and middling to good on the juice.

I was looking at AWD or 4wd as we do live up hill and the wife is a public health nurse so for the few days it snows it would be beneficial - but again a AWD or 4wd is not essential as I'm sure we could manage with the amount of snow we get for that short period.

I pay e514 on tax in the avensis so anything around that would be considered - any less would be a bonus.

My budget is around 5.5k.

I would like a wee bit of power and something that is not to sluggish. I know coming from a petrol avensis everything will seem to be more powerful to me!!

Oh and down the line I'm thinking of getting a caravan so something that can tow would also be good - again not essential at this stage.

Any suggestions to what people are driving or if there on the same boat as me etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭hooch-85

A Subaru Forester might fit the bill?

The Subaru diesel engine doesn't have the best name but my Dad has a diesel Imprza since new from 2010 and has had no issues at all with it, mileage around 100k on it now. Miles are highish on this one.

https://www.donedeal.ie/cars-for-sale/subaru-forester/22758232

Audi Allroad or Skoda Octavia scout would be similar too and are worth a look but you might have to adjust your budget a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Mousie32

Ya was researching the Foresters and outbacks and like them but all I was getting online was the bother with the diesel engines which put me off them a bit. Suppose it is just getting the right one that has been looked after.

I just came across the octavia estates and the scout model is something to consider. I see some petrol versions of them in England. Also very tempted with a vrs. Half thinking of just getting snow tyres for the winter. The budget can be adjusted as long as I'm getting the right motor ha. Never came across the alltrack Audi so must check them out

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The VRS is also available with AWD

Not within budget though.

• Administrators Posts: 53,275 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Mousie32 wrote: »
    Hi there,

Long time reader of posts, first time poster.

I'm looking for advice on my next vehicle purchase. I'm finding it hard to narrow down my search to suit my needs. I'm currently driving a 98 Toyota Avensis 1.6 petrol. My insurance is up in December and my insurance company said they are not auto renewing it this year. I let my insurance auto renew the last few years as with the age of the car I was afraid to switch. Just checking out a few insurance companies online and I think I'm going to struggle to insure the car this year so with regret I think it is time for switch.

I have been looking at Golfs, Passats, Mazda3 and 6's, Jimny's, Outlanders, Vitara's, Civics, Accords etc and just cant make my mind up what would suit.

For work I commute 50 miles a day so I dont mind if it is petrol or diesel. I have to go from Donegal to Dublin and back once every 3-4weeks. Diesel does scare me a bit with all the stuff that can go wrong and we have a diesel car in the household anyway - the wife has a diesel golf plus.

I do have a new born so a 4-5 door would be handy but not essential.

It has to be reliable and middling to good on the juice.

I was looking at AWD or 4wd as we do live up hill and the wife is a public health nurse so for the few days it snows it would be beneficial - but again a AWD or 4wd is not essential as I'm sure we could manage with the amount of snow we get for that short period.

I pay e514 on tax in the avensis so anything around that would be considered - any less would be a bonus.

My budget is around 5.5k.

I would like a wee bit of power and something that is not to sluggish. I know coming from a petrol avensis everything will seem to be more powerful to me!!

Oh and down the line I'm thinking of getting a caravan so something that can tow would also be good - again not essential at this stage.

Any suggestions to what people are driving or if there on the same boat as me etc. would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Unless you are a glutton for punishment and are seeking a bad back then you will need at least 4 doors.

I thought I would get away with using the wife's car for the crèche runs etc. but not going to happen now. 4 doors it will have to be. At least it is narrowing down the search!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,189 ✭✭✭standardg60

Personally i would be outlander all the way, a late mark 2 high spec model should be well within your budget..heated leather, bose sound system, voice activated phone, climate and cruise, and the 2 litre 140bhp is actually sourced from VW.

Also one the very few suv models of that era with a lockable diff rather than 4x4 on demand so should cope with some light snow easy enough, and an extra row of foldaway seats in the back should you need them.

Sister has an 09 one last eight years or so and swears by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭selectamatic

If you're happy with petrol a 2008/9 1.8 civic saloon would suit ya. Think they're 570 to tax, the hatchback is cheaper to tax at 280

You'd be looking at similar reliability levels as your avensis

Personally i would be outlander all the way, a late mark 2 high spec model should be well within your budget..heated leather, bose sound system, voice activated phone, climate and cruise, and the 2 litre 140bhp is actually sourced from VW.

Also one the very few suv models of that era with a lockable diff rather than 4x4 on demand so should cope with some light snow easy enough, and an extra row of foldaway seats in the back should you need them.

I do like the outlanders and definitely would consider one. Its hard to get one with reasonable mileage on them, but must look about again.

If you're happy with petrol a 2008/9 1.8 civic saloon would suit ya. Think they're 570 to tax, the hatchback is cheaper to tax at 280

You'd be looking at similar reliability levels as your avensis

I must check them out but I'm just not a fan of the saloon model. But if the reliability was good that could be over looked

Has anyone any experience with the 1.8 vmatic avensis. Rare in Ireland but a few in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭djan

Just wanted to chime in about the 4x4 issue, if youre seriously that worried about the few days of snow/ice that we'd get over here, get a set of winter tyres. A 2WD with winter tyres will significantly outperform a 4x4 on summers. I'd recommend an Octavia, plenty of space in the back for getting the kids in and running costs are relatively low.

djan wrote: »
    Just wanted to chime in about the 4x4 issue, if youre seriously that worried about the few days of snow/ice that we'd get over here, get a set of winter tyres. A 2WD with winter tyres will significantly outperform a 4x4 on summers. I'd recommend an Octavia, plenty of space in the back for getting the kids in and running costs are relatively low.

Yea that's my thoughts. Good range of petrol model Octavias about. Any particular ones you would recommend?

Has anyone any experience with the 1.8 vmatic avensis. Rare in Ireland but a few in the UK.

Sound as a bell as far as I know. Nice enough power for a NA 1.8 too.

djan wrote: »

Sorry but i can't be having that 'significantly outperform' statement, towed several stranded motorists during the beast from the east in my summer tyred 4x4, who were going nowhere regardless of the tyres they had fitted.

Admittedly it is a very rare event and shouldn't be the sole decision maker, but they wouldn't make them in the first place if there was no benefit at all.

Sorry but i can't be having that 'significantly outperform' statement, towed several stranded motorists during the beast from the east in my summer tyred 4x4, who were going nowhere regardless of the tyres they had fitted.

Admittedly it is a very rare event and shouldn't be the sole decision maker, but they wouldn't make them in the first place if there was no benefit at all.

I agree that 4WD will perform better than 2WD but the main difference is tyres, look up tests done about this and you will see the difference is actually huge!

If wheels loose traction it makes zero difference if 4 of them are powered or 2. In your case the reason you pulled them out is because having 4WD helps as you have double the chance of wheels finding traction

In addition to the video here, just look at continental Europe where it is illegal to drive on summer tyres in winter and the vast majority of people still drive 2WD and get on fine.

4x4 on summer tyres vs 2WD on winters:

To get back on topic, for the octavia, the engines pick themselves given the price range and years. Diesel or petrol will both be the 1.6 version. They aren't faultless but given the car's popularity parts and indie garages are aplenty.

The car is hugely practical and you won't get the same size and relative comfort elsewhere for the price!

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭NuttyMcNutty

Ya was researching the Foresters and outbacks and like them but all I was getting online was the bother with the diesel engines which put me off them a bit. Suppose it is just getting the right one that has been looked after.

I just came across the octavia estates and the scout model is something to consider. I see some petrol versions of them in England. Also very tempted with a vrs. Half thinking of just getting snow tyres for the winter. The budget can be adjusted as long as I'm getting the right motor ha. Never came across the alltrack Audi so must check them out

Depending on the year, be carful with a diesel with the miles you quoted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Octavia scout are lovely cars but hard to find a good one, and ovrrpricrf due to rarity. 5500 would probably barely get you inside 10 years old.

Drink like a fish tho don't they?
    The amount of relatively low mileage non running ones you see advertised is not a good thing.

Allroad audis in that price bracket will nearly all be above 2.0 litre engines and thus high tax.

• Advertisement

A 08-10 2.0tdci 4wd Ford kuga should be near within reach of the budget. They're supposed to be good and pretty reliable all things considered.
    €570 tax on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

when you say they wont auto renew? as in they wont provide you with insurance on that car again or what?

youll save a lot more if you just keep the car you have. If you want to change the car regardless to something in the 5-6k bracket you mention, then thats another matter.

terrydel wrote: »
    Drink like a fish tho don't they?
    The amount of relatively low mileage non running ones you see advertised is not a good thing.

All relative i suppose..40 mpg average is not bad for a heavy vehicle.
    Not sure about non-runners, there were some models using a french 2.2 shared with the peugeot 4007 and citroen c-crosser which i'd personally avoid.

Idbatterim wrote: »
    when you say they wont auto renew? as in they wont provide you with insurance on that car again or what?

youll save a lot more if you just keep the car you have. If you want to change the car regardless to something in the 5-6k bracket you mention, then thats another matter.

They won't renew. A good number of companies won't quote me or are charging ridiculous money

A 08-10 2.0tdci 4wd Ford kuga should be near within reach of the budget. They're supposed to be good and pretty reliable all things considered.
    €570 tax on them.

Never thought on a Kuga. Must check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

They won't renew. A good number of companies won't quote me or are charging ridiculous money

what an absolute scandal, do there morons go around checking lethal tyres? which can also be on relatively new cars? its an absolute fix here, law should prohibit them from this bull****! one year its fine for them to insure, the next, "no thanks" fcuk off!

They don’t want to insure them because statistically they’re more likely to have claims.

They don’t seem to take into account people who have cars a long time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

colm_mcm wrote: »
    They don’t want to insure them because statistically they’re more likely to have claims.

That's the issue with insurance, it's based off the car more than the driver. If someone has a clean driving record for the last 3-5 years then it shouldn't matter that other people have a habit of crashing a specific model of car to the point it's more expensive for the individual or refused cover.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

colm_mcm wrote: »

Sounds legit. Where do we access this data to review it ourselves?

• Advertisement

@Mousie you should give cornmarket a try for insurance on your avensis if your wife is with one of the nurses unions. They offer discounted quotes from rsa.

I believe they quote on older vehicles if you have owned the car for 5 or more years and have a full 5 years NCB.

Sertus/rsa through chill.ie are pretty good too

Advertisement