Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a restricted firearm and caliber

• 17-09-2019 4:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

What qualifies as a restricted firearm

And what calibers are restricted

Looking on getting into the sport like to know thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2008/si/21/made/en/print

I think it's all in there really. Best of luck. Most firearms in this country are unrestricted.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭JohnFitz2332

"4. (1) Firearms other than those to which subparagraph (2) relates are declared to be restricted firearms for the purposes of the Act:

(e) the following short firearms designed for use in connection with competitions governed by International Olympic Committee regulations:

(i) air-operated firearms of 4.5 millimetres (.177 inch) calibre,

(ii) firearms using .22 inch rim-fire percussion ammunition.

5. The following ammunition is declared to be restricted ammunition for the purposes of the Act:

(e) ammunition for short firearms, except ammunition for any of those mentioned in subparagraph (2)(a) or (2)(e) of paragraph 4;"

So are the above quotations an explanation as to why 38 or 357 repeater rifles are restricted?

I mean, I'm obviously making an inference here based on the above but it would appear that this would explain it, and if so the legislation is dog ****e.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

• 22lr pistol with more than 5 shots
    • Any centrefire pistol
    • Any centrefire semi auto rifle
    • Semi auto 22lr rifle with a mag more than 10 rounds.
    • Any bolt action 22lr rifle with a mag more than 10 rounds
    • Lever action rifles using anything other than 22lr ammo
    • Bullpup rifles of any caliber
    • Shotguns capable of holding more than 3 rounds
    • Shotgun slugs
    Might be more.
    1. Anything over 30cal in rifles
    2. All pistol calibers except 22lr
    3. Shotgun slugs in any caliber
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Looking on getting into the sport like to know thanks

What kind of shooting do you wish to get into?

For the record, all of the restricted firearms listed can be licenced apart from the pistols/revolvers. You can't licence a restricted pistol/revolver anymore. You can only licence a .22lr pistol/revolver with the magazine/drum restricted to 5 rounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CorkScrew98989

BattleCorp wrote: »
    What kind of shooting do you wish to get into?

For the record, all of the restricted firearms listed can be licenced apart from the pistols/revolvers. You can't licence a restricted pistol/revolver anymore. You can only licence a .22lr pistol/revolver with the magazine/drum restricted to 5 rounds.

Clay Pigeon handgun and rifle shooting

• Advertisement

Clay Pigeon handgun and rifle shooting

Now we have something to go on.

Clay pigeon shooting is very common and most counties have clay pigeon clubs, many counties have several clubs. You won't need a restricted shotgun for that, unless you need a shotgun with a pistol grip. A pistol grip makes a shotgun restricted.

You will have to join a club/range that caters for pistols/revolvers if you want to do pistol shooting. You can only shoot pistols/revolvers on a range and the Gardaí won't issue you a licence if you don't have range membership. You are limited to a .22lr pistol/revolver. You can't get a centrefire handgun any more.

Rifle shooting is a bit more complicated. There are lots of different types of rifle competitions. Do you want to shoot targets that are close (50m or less), or do you want to shoot targets out to 1000m? Gallery rifle shooting is the closer range stuff and can be shot with smallbore or centrefire rifles. Common restricted rifles used in Gallery are the lever-style guns such as a Marlin 1894C or a Rossi 92. Others are also used but these are the most common restricted rifles used in Gallery. Long range shooting uses many types of restricted firearms, often because the larger calibres tend to be more accurate at distance.

My advice is to go to make an appointment with a range near you and go see the types of shooting taking place. If you have no experience, it's very difficult to know what you would enjoy (and unfortunately what your pocket will allow). You will be able to see different types of guns etc.

What County do you live in? We might be able to recommend a range nearby.

Now we have something to go on.

Clay pigeon shooting is very common and most counties have clay pigeon clubs, many counties have several clubs. You won't need a restricted shotgun for that, unless you need a shotgun with a pistol grip. A pistol grip makes a shotgun restricted.

You will have to join a club/range that caters for pistols/revolvers if you want to do pistol shooting. You can only shoot pistols/revolvers on a range and the Gardaí won't issue you a licence if you don't have range membership. You are limited to a .22lr pistol/revolver. You can't get a centrefire handgun any more.

Rifle shooting is a bit more complicated. There are lots of different types of rifle competitions. Do you want to shoot targets that are close (50m or less), or do you want to shoot targets out to 1000m? Gallery rifle shooting is the closer range stuff and can be shot with smallbore or centrefire rifles. Common restricted rifles used in Gallery are the lever-style guns such as a Marlin 1894C or a Rossi 92. Others are also used but these are the most common restricted rifles used in Gallery. Long range shooting uses many types of restricted firearms, often because the larger calibres tend to be more accurate at distance.

My advice is to go to make an appointment with a range near you and go see the types of shooting taking place. If you have no experience, it's very difficult to know what you would enjoy (and unfortunately what your pocket will allow). You will be able to see different types of guns etc.

What County do you live in? We might be able to recommend a range nearby.
    Cork and really I’m not sure about the range

Cork and really I’m not sure about the range

This link will let you see the rifle/pistol ranges and the clay pigeon grounds around the country. There are others but it will give you a good start.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056911366 (scroll down to the third post)

Fermoy Rifle Range are located in Ballydague, Ballyhooly, Co. Cork. They might be one option. As far as I'm aware their range is 50m so they would be ok for short range shooting but not for long range shooting.

Depending on where you are in Cork, Munster Target Shooting Club might not be too far away from you. They are in Kilfinane in Limerick.

An Riocht in Castlemaine in Co. Kerry shoot out to 300m so that would be suitable for most types of shooting.

If you were up for a long drive, Harbour House near Athy, Co. Kildare are good for Gallery shooting and they have a 100m range too. They also have the advantage of having two gun dealers there on a Saturday.

My advice is to contact one of the ranges and go look at what's taking place there. Most ranges cater for pistols/rifles. If your heart is set on long range shooting, I would recommend MNSCI near Tullamore or An Riocht in Kerry.

This link will let you see the rifle/pistol ranges and the clay pigeon grounds around the country. There are others but it will give you a good start.

(scroll down to the third post)

Fermoy Rifle Range are located in Ballydague, Ballyhooly, Co. Cork. They might be one option. As far as I'm aware their range is 50m so they would be ok for short range shooting but not for long range shooting.

Depending on where you are in Cork, Munster Target Shooting Club might not be too far away from you. They are in Kilfinane in Limerick.

An Riocht in Castlemaine in Co. Kerry shoot out to 300m so that would be suitable for most types of shooting.

If you were up for a long drive, Harbour House near Athy, Co. Kildare are good for Gallery shooting and they have a 100m range too. They also have the advantage of having two gun dealers there on a Saturday.

My advice is to contact one of the ranges and go look at what's taking place there. Most ranges cater for pistols/rifles. If your heart is set on long range shooting, I would recommend MNSCI near Tullamore or An Riocht in Kerry.

Thanks this is incredibly helpful what would you say is the best range in the country

Thanks this is incredibly helpful what would you say is the best range in the country

There's no such thing as the best range because different ranges cater for different types of shooting. Harbour House is excellent for gallery rifle and pistol but the max you can shoot there is 100m. MNSCI (1000m) and An Riocht (300m) are the best long range shooting ranges that I've shot on. They also shoot gallery events there too.

Check out several ranges before you decide what you want to do.

• Advertisement

............ MNSCI (1000m) ..................
    Heeeeyyyyyyyyyy.

Why does everyone think it's only 1,000 yards. It goes out to 1,200 yards and includes every distance in 100 yard increments.

Second longest range in Europe, i believe.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭JohnFitz2332

Cass wrote: »
    Heeeeyyyyyyyyyy.

Why does everyone think it's only 1,000 yards. It goes out to 1,200 yards and includes every distance in 100 yard increments.

think it could even be 1300 yards? one of the fellas there took me for a spin around it in his jeep and said 1300 I'm fairly sure

Unless they built a new firing point, it was 1,200.

|
    MNSCI (Midlands National Shooting Centre of Ireland)
    |
    Location | Derrymore, Tullamore, Offaly |
    GPS Co-Ordinates | Lat : 53.285442, Long : -7.486653 |
    Website | www.nationalshootingcentre.ie Facebook page |
    Contact Nos. | 086 8232641 , 087 0977589
    Contact E-mail(s) | jpcraven@eircom.net |
    First Yr Fee | €600 |
    Annual Fee | €300 |
    Student / OAP | €165 Annual Renewal, €300 (1st Yr), |
    Mature Students | TBC |
    Disciplines | 10 - 25 yd pistol, 25 yd zero, 50 yd BR, 50 yd ISSF, 50 mtr Sporting, 100 - 300 yd Sheltered, 100 - 600 Windmill, 800 - 1,200 Creedmoor, Clays - DTL, Sporting, Skeet, ABT |
    Facilities | Registered Firearm Dealer, Shop, Clubhouse, Cafe, Armory, Reloading Facilities, Tuition, Meat Handling courses, Competency Courses, Gunsmith(s), Restrooms, Wheelchair access throughout |
    Opening Hours | Wed - Fri by Appointment Only , Sat 9:30am - 4:30pm, Sun 9:30 - 3:30, Closed Mon & Tue. |

Heeeeyyyyyyyyyy.

My belly is that big that it's only 1,000 yards for me. :(:D

For a moment i wondering just how fecking tall you were that the 1,200 firing point makes it 1,000 yrds for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,934 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

• 22lr pistol with more than 5 shots
    • Any centrefire pistol
    • Any centrefire semi auto rifle
    • Semi auto 22lr rifle with a mag more than 10 rounds.
    • Any bolt action 22lr rifle with a mag more than 10 rounds
    • Lever action rifles using anything other than 22lr ammo
    • Bullpup rifles of any caliber
    • Shotguns capable of holding more than 3 rounds
    • Shotgun slugs
    Might be more.

1. Anything over 30cal in rifles
    2. All pistol calibers except 22lr
    3. Shotgun slugs in any caliber

Intresting.So CF pump action rifles are unrestricted in calibers under the 30 cal mark?

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Intresting.So CF pump action rifles are unrestricted in calibers under the 30 cal mark?
    As said above:
    Might be more.
    I just listed a few things off the top of my head. However with that specific example i don't see an issue. If it's:
    • Under 30cal
    • Its manually cycled (like a bolt action)
    • NOT semi auto (more of a substantiation of the above in that there is no round with every squeeze of the trigger without manually cycling the firearm)

There's no such thing as the best range because different ranges cater for different types of shooting. Harbour House is excellent for gallery rifle and pistol but the max you can shoot there is 100m. MNSCI (1000m) and An Riocht (300m) are the best long range shooting ranges that I've shot on. They also shoot gallery events there too.

Check out several ranges before you decide what you want to do.

1 final question how much ammo can I keep in my house at 1 given time

As much as your license allows for. You apply for the firearms license, and also a requested amount of ammo. If you give good enough reasons for that amount its granted. If the Super feels the reasons are not good enough s/he may issue you with a different amount and that is the amount you may have at any one time.

Thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭keith s

What are the implications of having a restricted firearm licence. Can you hunt with a restricted firearm?

Higher level of security, higher level of scrutiny when applying, higher standard to maintain the license.

As for hunting there are some restrictions for certain firearms. The one I always remember of the top of my head is no hunting of protected wild birds with a restricted shotgun and that also, iirc, includes hares.

Not sure if any restrictions apply to rifles.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭Grolschevik

I was literally about to ask the same question, with the addendum to whether I should hang on to see what legal changes happen, so this is brilliant info. I'm in Leitrim, so I'm guessing Lough Bo.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭hiddenmongoose

nevermind

Thanks Cass.

The reason I'm asking is to do with the new recommendations and if NV becomes a restricted licence.

Also, if it needed a time lock safe.... How that works for times you'd naturaly need NV... Anyway that conversation belongs to the other thread, but my question (above) and your answer, is more in line with this specific thread I think.

Thank you

The recommendations from the FEC (working group) have only come out and they're recommending banning thermals and restricting NV to "professional" shooters only. So very early days to make any assumptions.

As for time lock safes, no such thing applies to normal firearm owners so no need to worry about that either.

With regard to your unedited post, we'll see. However for now we can give opinions and answers in the current law, not the FEC's wishlist.

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Asus1

What's a professional shooter do you know.I can't imagine there's many knocking about maybe a few in npws is all I can think of.Im just interested to know why thermal and NV is such a problem all of a sudden,will we hear why.And moderators is this back to the movies sh1te.

No such thing as there is no state recognised body that can provide accreditation to anyone. Hence why competency courses and the proposed training are and will be a Trainwreck with everyone and their dog providing courses.

It's why that will go nowhere.

• Advertisement

My thinking here was:

If having NV means the firearm is restricted:

1- Can I actually still shoot fox + rabbits with a restricted firearm?

And

2- If it needs to be stored in a time lock safe (again presuming NV makes it restricted), how could you use it at night and if that's the case, what would be the point in having NV?

Advertisement