Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Met Eireann's ACS on UKMO-WOW

• 17-09-2019 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭

I understand that Met Eireann are rolling out a network of Automatic Climate Stations and have been at work on it for around two or three years now.

Interestingly, since recently all the data is now feeding into the UK Met Office's WOW (Weather Observation Website)

There seems to be quite a few - and ACS is after the locality name. Our more familiar synoptic stations have AWS after the name.

It's a site I almost forgot existed even though I supply it with data! :D

Here is the site: https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/

And for the summer-time heat watchers, our famous Dooks station is here! https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observations/details/20190917163oexg3tae6uc73yyb96sppna

also, for the winter-time cold watchers the famous Mount Juliet station is here! https://wow.metoffice.gov.uk/observations/details/2019091713u69ts3tae6uc73yyb96smnze

This is an extremely valuable resource :)

EDIT - They seem to have been reporting there since Mid-May 2019, so no long term records available- sadly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Danno wrote: »

This is an extremely valuable resource :)

Great find Danno! Can't believe that there is a station fairly close to me that I didn't know about and looking back on recent reports from it, it's min temp got down to 1.5c cooler than my own this morning. The difference a bit of exposure makes.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Met Eireann were in contact with me a few weeks back with regards the new site as i provide data to WOW UK.They are doing this in partnership with the Met Office in the UK. The address is here https://wow.met.ie/
    They are still in the testing phase of the project and were hoping to soft launch it at the Ploughing this week. I don't know if they went ahead with that or not.
    Very interesting to see the ACS data available and i believe this data is only available on the WOW site.
    Definitely the more data available the better and it will be interesting to see if they use data from the ACS sites for Max and Min temps recorded on any given days.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭pad199207

Met Eireann were in contact with me a few weeks back with regards the new site as i provide data to WOW UK.They are doing this in partnership with the Met Office in the UK. The address is here https://wow.met.ie/
    They are still in the testing phase of the project and were hoping to soft launch it at the Ploughing this week. I don't know if they went ahead with that or not.
    Very interesting to see the ACS data available and i believe this data is only available on the WOW site.
    Definitely the more data available the better and it will be interesting to see if they use data from the ACS sites for Max and Min temps recorded on any given days.

That’s even better!

Kinda funny how the new Met Eireann data is more readily available on the UK Met site than their own, but no matter, that fact that it is available is terrific!

New Moon

I guess it was nice while it lasted. Met stations no longer reporting on 'WOW'.

Ah well.

New Moon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,096 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    I guess it was nice while it lasted. Met stations no longer reporting on 'WOW'.

Ah well.

I can see recent reports?

JCX BXC wrote: »
    I can see recent reports?

All the met stations were off the map, as were the reports at the time of my posting, and looking back on the tables, they did not start reporting again until around 4pm. Great resource to have, but I can already foresee that updated data from these new stations will be patchy at best. I also read on the Met Eireann page that MickGer linked the other day that although these stations were set up by Met Eireann, they will not be maintained by them and data will not be quality checked. Makes you sorta wonder as why they bothered setting them up in the first place if that is the case.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    All the met stations were off the map, as were the reports at the time of my posting, and looking back on the tables, they did not start reporting again until around 4pm. Great resource to have, but I can already foresee that updated data from these new stations will be patchy at best. I also read on the Met Eireann page that MickGer linked the other day that although these stations were set up by Met Eireann, they will not be maintained by them and data will not be quality checked. Makes you sorta wonder as why they bothered setting them up in the first place if that is the case.

Met Eireann won't maintain the private AWS, i.e. my Davis, yours, etc...
    However, the ACS (Automatic Climate Stations) such as Dooks, Mount Juliet, etc... will most definitely be maintained by them. ;)

For example, go to the map, click on the Portlaoise station. Click on "View full Observation". Above site details it clearly says: "Portlaoise Automatic Climate Station (ACS) - located in the Borris Little area County Laois. (Climate Station installed & maintained by Met Éireann)"

Advertisement