Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Know More About Your Elves - #15 Jude13

Options
  • 16-09-2019 9:09pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Apologies for the late start long day in work!!

Here we are again. 100 days to go and soon to be in the double digits. :)

But its never too late for our Jude who’s time zone still confuses me :pac:

This time we are joined by our favourite expat Jude13. Jude’s trips home for Christmas are fast being a Christmas forum tradition :)

Let’s kick off shall we :)

First single?
    Favourite chocolate bar?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

What is the last film you saw at the cinema?

What was your favourite toy when you were a child?

What is the best holiday you've ever been on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

Honoured to be part of this Christmas tradition. I'm in two time zones each week, it confuses me too as neither are Ireland's timezone.

I believe my dad encouraged me to buy a single (record) when I was a kid, penny lane/strawberry fields double a side. Though it was my pocket money he clearly just wanted it. The first one I remember buying all by my self was kula shaker tattva.

Chocolate bar is a a tough one, it has changed over time. I'll go with wispa, with honourable mentions to Fry's Turkish delight and crunchies.

Scarinae wrote: »
    What is the last film you saw at the cinema?

What was your favourite toy when you were a child?

What is the best holiday you've ever been on?

I wasn't much of a toy kid. Probably my first real o'neills ball that santa got me one year. I was a bit out of shape as it was from the outlet/reject section of the factory shop. Up to that we usually had terrible plastic balls or fall apart soccer balls that were too floaty. That an our dogs kept me busy.

Oh, good one, and tough. Probably skiing a few years ago, pre baby, learning a new skill as I had been a boarder, the contrast to the sandpit we live in, my OH's first time on a snow holiday and finding out the effect that altitude and booze have. Probably that one (that took we 15 mins and a list).

Oh the last film in the cinema was Once Upon a time in Hollywood. I was abroad working for the week and we hadn't been since before the baby so we arranged a sitter, which was stressful enough leaving the wee one, got all excited about time alone, popcorn and sugary drinks. What a let down. It was utter pants.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Good morning/afternoon/evening :)

Four people, dead or alive, to have dinner with and why?

Favourite place you have visited/been on holiday?

• Advertisement

I will have to get back to you on the dinner, I was think gandfolks as I never meet them. Actually lets go with that.

Apart from the ski holiday mentioned earlier I loved the Maldives for a week of doing nothing, and Istanbul which we did for 5 days with a new born which was amazing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Favourite Movie?

Donnie Darko came to mind first so I will go with that.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,727 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Jude13 wrote: »
    Donnie Darko came to mind first so I will go with that.

Ah great shout!! I love that movie!

Jude13 wrote: »
    Apart from the ski holiday mentioned earlier I loved the Maldives for a week of doing nothing, and Istanbul which we did for 5 days with a new born which was amazing.

Two great places that are on my list of must visit. Especially Instanbul, always looks amazing in movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

What did you want to be as a kid when you grew up? & how close to achieving that did you get?
    Favourite alcoholic beverage?
    Top 5 desert Island discs?
    Favourite sporting moment?
    Favourite car?
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 21,822 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

Favorite childhood memory , Christmas or otherwise ?
    And your favourite comfort food ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Hey Jude !
    Here my questions:
    - Which words or phrases do you most overuse ?
    - Which talent would you most like to have ?
    - Have you ever passed on a skill to someone else (driving, DIY...) ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

My questions :)
    Your top three favourite things about coming home for Christmas?
    Any airport tips, since you spend so much time in them?:D

DvB wrote: »
    What did you want to be as a kid when you grew up? & how close to achieving that did you get?
    Favourite alcoholic beverage?
    Top 5 desert Island discs?
    Favourite sporting moment?
    Favourite car?

I'm stressing way too much over all the questions.

I wanted to be an architect, did work experience in draughting office and architects offices from when I was 14. I loved tech drawing and autocad, researching landmark projects. However from day 1 in college it was free hand drawing, art, and creativity. Mainly art based drawing and project work. I hated it and could not keep up with the course load. Passed 1st year and that's where the dream ended. Glad I didn't do it now as the career has changed so much.

Magners/Bulmers.

Desert Island disks I will have to come back to.

Sporting moment, I have had one or two ones dear to me when I was younger, nothing special to anyone but me, but as a spectator Sonia O'Sullivan world championship in 95. Never seen my mum go so mental at the tv.

Favourite car, tough one. We all love our first car which was a clapped out Clio. My favourite car is my current one, a 2003 toyota landcruiser, I have had European cars (SL500 and LR3 & 4)which I loved but constantly servicing and fixing them, even form new made me go mad. I barely drive now, mainly at the weekends so the old faithful unbreakable toyota is the one for me

Mam of 4 wrote: »
    Favorite childhood memory , Christmas or otherwise ?
    And your favourite comfort food ?

I'm not sure if some are my memories or my folks telling me. There was one in my folks old house when me and my brother heard Santa. He had inadvertently turned on one of the toys he was leaving and woke us, were so excited but squeezed our eyes closed to sleep. in reality my folks had gotten in to the Christmas spirit big time and the two monster trucks we had asked Santa for were being raced around our living room by my drunk parents.

Apart from my family my priorities are 1. Sleep 2. Food 3. Christmas. I only run, play sport and go to the gym so I can eat what I like. As I get older the exercise is making less difference. So basically I've a long list.

We have a really good Thai here, so I get that when I fly back home at the weekends. When I'm in Ireland I drive to borza on whitehall road as they do amazing gluten free fish and chips.

otnomart wrote: »
    Hey Jude !
    Here my questions:
    - Which words or phrases do you most overuse ?
    - Which talent would you most like to have ?
    - Have you ever passed on a skill to someone else (driving, DIY...) ?

I am not sure I have any phrases I use, but my OH says I always answer the phone with 'hey, how are ya'. So I have tried to cut back.

I would like to have language skills. I have lived in a few countries, taken courses and just cannot pick up languages. I am the only single language person in my house, bar the new arrival, so its me not the lessons or environment.

Thought a few of may pals kids some sporting things. I have also been a counsellor to people taking professional qualifications.

jellybear wrote: »
    My questions :)
    Your top three favourite things about coming home for Christmas?
    Any airport tips, since you spend so much time in them?:D

1. Seeing my family and friends.
    2. Chipper (I actually put that at 1 first time around)
    3. Climate, something other than hot.

I have so many airport tips. Become a pro at packing, get a credit card or loyalty card that gives lounge access. Try to stick to one or two airlines, see their partners with online shops, hotels, car hire and pool all the points. You have to be creative. For example if you are going to be flying emirates join Alaska Air and use there membership number when booking as their miles go much further on emirates.

Sadly as I have a set budget, set by me and I should do what I am asking my colleagues to do the days of business class, and even a nice airline are gone about 7 years now.

In summary hoard miles, get a kindle (battery lasts ages), Sony WH1000-XM3 headphones (I have had seniheiser and bose but these win), and if you can two passports.

What would be your perfect day?
    If you could give one bit of advice, what would it be?

TRS30 wrote: »
    What would be your perfect day?
    If you could give one bit of advice, what would it be?

Waking up Christmas eve in a lovely home, to find out it has snowed. Not having to do the work and travel I do anymore. then spend the day playing in the snow with the family and prepping for Santa. Basically the euromillions.

Advice, to win the euromillions you must play it, I haven't quite gotten the hang of that one yet.

In reality, if you fancy someone don't wait, chat with them/ask them out. Worked for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Tea or Coffee?

What do you put with your Christmas Pudding - custard or cream?

What's the first bar you eat out of a selection box?

CheerLouth wrote: »
    Tea or Coffee?

What do you put with your Christmas Pudding - custard or cream?

What's the first bar you eat out of a selection box?

I'm addicted to coffee, not in a cool look at me way, I actually think I have an addiction to it.

I have only had one Christmas pudding in my life, last year, a gluten free one. I had it with cream. I must try one with custard.

The first is the crunchie, I save the curley wurely for a cup of tea later.

Advertisement