Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Leica Magnus scope

• 16-09-2019 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Lads anyone using one or know much about them looked through one at the weekend and seemed impressive but is it value for money???

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Any more info on them? Price, mag, specs, etc.

never heard of them myself so hard to compare to other brands.

It's Leica so won't be too cheap.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Fx Royale

Cass wrote: »
    Any more info on them? Price, mag, specs, etc.

never heard of them myself so hard to compare to other brands.

It's Leica so won't be too cheap.

It’s 2.4-16x56 illuminated €2500

That is quite a price tag. Granted Leica do good glass and their rangefinders start in the €600+ region its not surprising i guess.

I had a Sightron in 2.5-17.5. The glass was good and plenty of features. I only bring it up to compare the mag range. If its hunting it'll be as much as you need. The low power gives a great, and clear, way to scan fields without the need for bins and the higher mag for those longer shots. However depending on whether you want a hunting scope or target scope or some kind of combination of the two will determine if it's suitable.

You're into Zeiss V8 money with almost the same mag range but with known glass quality. I wouldn't say leica are a risk to buy, but i've found with new scopes, regardless of manufacture, the early models can be problematic. Let someone else be the Guinea pig in those situations. If it were a couple of hundred Euro i'd say jump on it, but going towards three grand is a little too much money for a relatively new scope.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭hedzball

As cass said there are far more proven scopes in that price bracket.. 318i Kahles would be a nice alternative.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Fx Royale

hedzball wrote: »
    As cass said there are far more proven scopes in that price bracket.. 318i Kahles would be a nice alternative.

I looked through the v8 and the kahles and I thought the Leica was the clearer of them all there just never heard anything about them and before spending my money on it I said I’d ask if anyone has any experience with them
    The kahles is actually a bit more expensive as well

• Advertisement

Fx Royale wrote: »
    I looked through the v8 and the kahles and I thought the Leica was the clearer of them all ...........
    Proves the point about each person being different.

The Leica has the lowest light transmission level of the three meaning it reflects more light. It sits at between 90-91% which yo'd expect from any good quality scope. The Zeiss sits at just over 92%, good but not great considering the price tag, but the Kahles is at 95% iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭SakoHunter75

I'd be checking out the Schmidt & Bender Exos 3-21x50 too. Not sure what they go for, but they're probably in a similar price bracket. Have read very good things about them on the online forums. Can't go wrong with S&B, great glass and tough as nails.

Advertisement