Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need witnesses to traffic incident

• 16-09-2019 10:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I was involved in a minor incident this morning where I tipped the side of a taxi with my bumper. I take complete responsibility for this. However the abuse I received from the driver was harassment, verbally and emotionally .
    My question is how do I get witnesses to come forward? What social media network can I use?
    We caused major obstruction to morning traffic as he refused to pull in out of the way. He only did so when the Gardai came.
    The horrified look on people's faces as they drove by said it all!
    Advice appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

Sm1ley2003 wrote: »
    I was involved in a minor incident this morning where I tipped the side of a taxi with my bumper. I take complete responsibility for this. However the abuse I received from the driver was harassment, verbally and emotionally .
    My question is how do I get witnesses to come forward? What social media network can I use?
    We caused major obstruction to morning traffic as he refused to pull in out of the way. He only did so when the Gardai came.
    The horrified look on people's faces as they drove by said it all!
    Advice appreciated.

Oh for christ sake. Shouting at someone after they crash into you is not a crime. Pay for the damage and move on.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

You've admitted liability and nothing the other driver said will change that. You aren't going to get witnesses unless someone agreed at the scene.

Let your insurer handle it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,198 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Advice?

Let the insurance companies sort it out, forget about it, and get on with your life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

emotional harassment..

riiiiiiight okay

Waiting nearly 2 years to make a first post and this is it. That's impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,997 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

what would you do with the information if witnesses did come forward? press charges?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Sm1ley2003 wrote: »

Anyone who passed you at the time was probably cursing you and the taxi driver for blocking the road after a minor tip. Now you expect them to come forward and give a statement to the cops so he can be prosecuted for - what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭gwalk

coylemj wrote: »
    give a statement to the cops so he can be prosecuted for - what?

for hurting the OP's feelings

• Registered Users Posts: 16,340 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Does being Butthurt count as a sexual assault?

I'd nearly put money on the OP driving a micra ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

a bit early for snowflakes - he was right to be annoyed; he uses his car as his livelihood .. you damaged it at rush hour and every minute a taxi isn't working its costing the owner money.

Everyone expresses their frustration and anger differently but if he was ranting and raving that was his way of dealing with it. Just get on to your insurance company and let them deal with it

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

whippet wrote: »
    a bit early for snowflakes - he was right to be annoyed; he uses his car as his livelihood .. you damaged it at rush hour and every minute a taxi isn't working its costing the owner money.

Right to be annoyed, but a dick for expressing his annoyance in the form of abusive behaviour when the other party has accepted liability. Everyone makes mistakes - a supposedly professional driver should know that. He's also a dick for refusing to move his car. If it was a minor bump and nobody was injured, there was no need for the Gardai to be there at all. He should have been back earning money within minutes. I had a similar incident (someone reversed into me in a car park) and after amicably exchanging details, we were back on the road ten minutes later.

Unfortunately, OP, being a dick isn't a prosecutable offence, so there's not a lot you can do about it except leave it to your insurance company. Expect him to fleece them though. I know someone who had a similar incident with a taxi driver - barely any damage and the bill came to €16,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Right to be annoyed, but a dick for expressing his annoyance in the form of abusive behaviour when the other party has accepted liability. Everyone makes mistakes - a supposedly professional driver should know that. He's also a dick for refusing to move his car. If it was a minor bump and nobody was injured, there was no need for the Gardai to be there at all. He should have been back earning money within minutes. I had a similar incident (someone reversed into me in a car park) and after amicably exchanging details, we were back on the road ten minutes later.

Unfortunately, OP, being a dick isn't a prosecutable offence, so there's not a lot you can do about it except leave it to your insurance company. Expect him to fleece them though. I know someone who had a similar incident with a taxi driver - barely any damage and the bill came to €16,000.
    Give a detailed report to your insurance company also, including the abusive reaction. It may prompt them to assess the claim extra carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭whippet

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Give a detailed report to your insurance company also, including the abusive reaction. It may prompt them to assess the claim extra carefully.

In an ideal worldly alright .. but the nature of insurance in Ireland is that they will payout and everyone will end up contributing

• Registered Users Posts: 25,292 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

cdaly_ wrote: »

They'll probably do that anyway, given that a taxi driver is involved. See the last paragraph in post #12.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement