Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Putter vs Driver fitting

• 16-09-2019 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭

I've a bit of money won from competitions this year so planning to get fitted for either a new putter or driver. I'm wondering what do people think would be most beneficial for my game as a high handicapper? I had some lessons earlier in the year which has mostly reduced my banana slices to a manageable fade. For putting pace is my biggest issue and the cause of most of my three putts, especially when first putt is outside 15/20ft. I have a Taylormade Sldr driver and a Cleveland Huntington Beach putter, both 2nd hand so not fitted. I'm actually relatively happy with both aspects of my game. Driving is consistent so I just aim a little left, distance not great at 210 yards on average but finding fairways is key I guess. Putting is something I feel can just work on myself and some days are better than others. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,646 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Think you answered that one yourself!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

I've a bit of money won from competitions this year so planning to get fitted for either a new putter or driver. I'm wondering what do people think would be most beneficial for my game as a high handicapper? I had some lessons earlier in the year which has mostly reduced my banana slices to a manageable fade. For putting pace is my biggest issue and the cause of most of my three putts, especially when first putt is outside 15/20ft. I have a Taylormade Sldr driver and a Cleveland Huntington Beach putter, both 2nd hand so not fitted. I'm actually relatively happy with both aspects of my game. Driving is consistent so I just aim a little left, distance not great at 210 yards on average but finding fairways is key I guess. Putting is something I feel can just work on myself and some days are better than others. Maybe I should just leave well enough alone

I was going to say...do a little analysis of your game, there are some free apps like golfshot that will give you basics around putting & FIR. Then that should confirm to you which you should get fit for.

Then I read the word SLDR and the whole world changed :D

That's a club that is low spinning, weight forward, built really for high swing speed players, and generally accepted to be very unforgiving. They went like a bullet when hit out of the centre, but lose out significantly for off-centre strikes.

If you're hitting around 210, then you probably don't have the speed to get the full benefit out of that club. So I'd suggest you will likely get most benefit out of a driver change (though do take any advise on here with a major pinch of salt given no-one has seen you swing, and we're all a bunch of amateurs, not club fitters :))

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭DuckSlice

How many times a round do you use your putter vs your driver? You probably use your putter more than twice the amount of times you use your driver in a round. Last round I used my driver 15 times (1 reload) and my putter 29 times. that's just counting putts on the green. I used it off the fringe probably 3 or 4 more times.

If I was you I would spend the money on putting lessons or a putter fitting, if you are putting the driver in play 95% of the time then leave it be. I invested in a good putter (Odyssey White Hot #1) about 13 years ago and haven't looked back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

That's a club that is low spinning, weight forward, built really for high swing speed players, and generally accepted to be very unforgiving. They went like a bullet when hit out of the centre, but lose out significantly for off-centre strikes.

I've read this about the Sldr before alright. I didn't really believe it at first but there is the odd time(once every few rounds) I will absolutely nail a drive 250+ yards so it has made me think this driver isn't for my swing style. i.e. I need something much more forgiving.
    etxp wrote: »
    How many times a round do you use your putter vs your driver? You probably use your putter more than twice the amount of times you use your driver in a round. Last round I used my driver 15 times (1 reload) and my putter 29 times. that's just counting putts on the green. I used it off the fringe probably 3 or 4 more times.

If I was you I would spend the money on putting lessons or a putter fitting, if you are putting the driver in play 95% of the time then leave it be. I invested in a good putter (Odyssey White Hot #1) about 13 years ago and haven't looked back.

I agree, I'm definitely leaning towards a putter fitting/lesson and maybe just pickup a 2nd hand Cobra driver next year which is what a lot of people have recommended to me as most forgiving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

Driver, u can learn to putt with anything.

The SLDR is unforgiving and the proper set up will get u more yards and more accuracy.

A putter fitting is useless if u can get the line and pace and that is just mechanics

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Ping are most forgiving drivers afaik

When I got fitted that’s what I got

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭djivide_

Never really liked the ping drivers, have a g30 3w alright but the drivers i found the head too light or something just never had confidence swinging them plus they spin way too much for me.

Was in for a fitting there 2 weeks ago and even the low spin lst G410 I was getting 3700-4300 spin. Ended up getting epic flash sub zero which was spinning around 1900-2300 with much better dispersion and carry distances but i have always liked callaway clubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,984 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just thought I'd follow up on this. In the end I went for a putter fitting using SAM PuttLab. I didn't get sold a new putter but instead got my 34 inch putter lengthened to 36 and some counterbalance added. I've played a good few rounds since then and it has been a revelation.

The output from puttlab was that I was generally hitting the ball where I was aiming it which is good, so at point of contact I was almost square in my swing. I was rarely hitting out of the center and tended to hit down on the ball though. Inconsistency hitting out of center is main reason for under/over hitting putts and hitting down imparts too much back spin which generally causes lag putts. I did a good few putts with various counter balance weights added and it made me realise that with the right weight it really helps consistency in pace.

I would highly recommend it to anyone, It was so tempting to spend the money on a driver fitting because let's be honest it's a lot more fun hitting a big drive down the middle. So far it has certainly helped me understand the mechanics of getting pace right which is probably the hardest thing about putting. Looking back at my rounds in the last couple of months there is very few 3 putts, I even had a round a few weeks ago with no 3 putts at all which was a first for me.

Advertisement