Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Winter project.... acoustic strat

• 16-09-2019 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭

Yes, I know all about the Fender Stratacoustic.

I own one. but my son has nicked it and taken it off to Uni.

sooooo.

I LIKE strats. I've owned a load of them over the years, but as the world turns I find myself playing about 95% acoustic, both at home and gigging.

I even have a strat with a piezo bridge and a bone saddle already......

sooooo.....

remember the Gibson acoustic Les Paul? no, didn't think so..... they only sold about 6 of them. Chambered bodied LP with no magnetic pups, JUST a piezo in the bridge......

My cunning plan, is get a reasonable strat.... Squier or Encore say..... take off the scratchplate and bridge.... rout it out completely hollow..... put a spruce acoustic top on it and a regular acoustic bridge with a piezo pickup..... and a preamp strap jack.

unplugged it'll be almost as quiet as an electric, but plugged in, it'll sound like an acoustic, but play like a strat...... and be virtually feedback proof......

I'll let you know how I get on!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Sounds awesome Martin

I'll be watching with great interest

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭roots2branches

I hope yours sounds better than Fender's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qyyl0czwJDk
    They really do make ****e Acoustics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

• Registered Users Posts: 5,152 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

I still have a Kramer Ferrington from 1987. They were the first mass produced "acoustic strats".

I thought that they were the coolest guitars when I saw people like Eddie Van halen and Dweezil Zappa playing them (at the time).

They really don't sound great, but I still own it. :cool:

They really don't sound great, but I still own it. :cool:

Yeah, I have a Fender Stratacoustic.

Chinese made..... plastic back like an Ovation. Unplugged..... I've heard a lot better. Plugged in.... not bad. My son nicked it and took it to Uni with him....:p

• Advertisement

Forgot about this thread!

so here's the finished acousticaster strat.

and no, of COURSE its not a Fender.......

DSCF7200.JPG

DSCF7201.JPG

and the only video I have of it......

Me, My daughter on French Horn, And my good lady wife on Clarinet playing Silent night.

signal chain is Piezo under the saddle, straight to the Roland Cube with some Chorus.

https://youtu.be/aTNUANhNnQ0

unplugged, its a lot lighter than a strat and far from as quiet as an unplugged electric, but still a lot quieter than any of my other acoustic instruments.

for noodling around, its actually now the first instrument I'll lift off the wall hanger......

• Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭CptMonkey

Was it hard to build? I’d love an acoustic with a neck from a strat :D

CptMonkey wrote: »
    Was it hard to build? I’d love an acoustic with a neck from a strat :D

Not at all.

the trickiest bit was the routing then getting the maple top to fit nicely. fitting the bridge and and the electrics was easier than a regular acoustic because of the ease of access from the back.

Advertisement