Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 2019 Football Championship review

• 15-09-2019 9:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,931 ✭✭✭✭

The original championship thread was closed for good reason before the final
    The final thread was closed for good reason after the first game
    The replay thread is quickly descending into closing territory as we speak, talk of shot clocks and the like

So I though we might need a review thread

So Dublin win 5 in a row, favorites all year, and they did the business so well done to them
    But like we say in 2016 and 2017 they are not invincible, it is not inevitable that they will get everything right all the time.
    They will have a few retirements I'm sure this year and lets see what the drive for 6 in a row will be like compared to that of 5, 5 was history making, 6 is uncharted waters

Kerry as expected are coming with good young talent, but I don't think it's a given that they will dominate in the future.
    They still have to find a midfield, David Moran has been a stalwart there but he had a bad game yesterday and is not getting any younger.
    There defense still has questions.
    And the much vaunted forwards had some terrible wides in the two finals. We were told that they would not shoot as bad in the replay as they did if the first game, but they did.

Cork put it up to Kerry in the Munster final for a period but were never going to win it. They won u17 and u20 this year so there may be a future there for them, but it's a long time before those u17's and u20s are good enough for senior.
    getting relegated to Div 3 will not help their cause in the shorter term.

Meath had a good season getting to the last 8 and put up some good performances for period during those games. Division 1 football will help them but I think their short term future is going to be at least one round in the back door as I don't think they are ready to beat Dublin just yet.

Donegal really have to be kicking themselves, two years in a row Ulster champs and two years in a row losing on the last day of the super 8 to get knocked out.
    They will really have to get it together next year.
    Tyrone did better than them once again but from a much easier group where they had to dispose of Cork and Roscommon and do as they wished v Dublin
    They had a good chance of getting to the final but I imagine I'd be writing this post two weeks earlier had they done so.

Roscommon really has a good year, beat Mayo away, beat Galway away, beat Cork away. Now I know the latter was a dead rubber but had they been able to get something out of the Tyrone game ta home they would have had a real good chance of a SF spot, and it would have had the Tyrone v Dublin game meaning something,

Galway had a horror year really. The managed to turn a 7 point HT lead v Tyrone into a 7 point loss and thus missed the chance to play in a league final that did not include Dublin
    They then went a dropped a 5 point HT lead v Roscommon and lost the Connacht final
    Then Mayo beat them in Limerick for the first time in 8 games or something.
    Many Galway fans will be delighted that Walsh as finished up, but they need someone really to step in up if they are going to call themselves serious contenders

Mayo had a better year than 2018 but they were always on the back foot and it was all of their own making.
    Losing to Roscommon, missing a leveling point late on, meant that they were on the road week after week, getting injured, getting worn down
    The wins v Galway and Donegal lifted them but they ere never going to challenge Dublin in 6 days and the good first half display was as much as this poster expected from them.
    They have found some young talent in Ruane, McDonough and Carr but there are going to be more retirements and more new guys will ahem to be found.
    A concern for Mayo is that they got beaten by 10 by both finalists.
    Now one could talk about injuries and 6 day turnarounds, but all the eeked out victories, v lesser lights count for nothing if you are getting hammered by the big boys.

Next year is the last year of the Super 8 in it's current format. I can see it being kept but not in it's current structrure, I think it will be part of a wider change.
    We are not going back to the "one and done" QF I don't think.

Leinster champs and Munster champs will be in one group, Connacht and Ulster in the other
    Even though the cahmp v chmap game really needs to be taken out of Croke Park I can't see it happening next year as one of those games could be Dublin v Kerry.
    What I can see happening is the turnaround time between the last Super 8 game and the SF being 13 or 14 days rather than 6 or 7, the latter is way too short.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Dublin the best team and they deserve all the plaudits they are getting.

You're way too quick to right off Moran - he was the best midfielder on show in the first game and still outperformed Fenton yesterday so it's ludicrous to say that he is on the way out.

Ratings from literally 2 weeks ago:
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0901/1073154-all-ireland-final-player-ratings-dublin-v-kerry/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,931 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Dublin the best team and they deserve all the plaudits they are getting.

You're way too quick to right off Moran - he was the best midfielder on show in the first game and still outperformed Fenton yesterday so it's ludicrous to say that he is on the way out.

Ratings from literally 2 weeks ago:
    https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2019/0901/1073154-all-ireland-final-player-ratings-dublin-v-kerry/

I'm not writing him off.

I'm just saying he had a bad game yesterday, he is getting older and Kerry are short on replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭Kumejima

Anyone have the final tally on championship top scorer?
    Seems to me that its Sean O Shea on 1-63 ahead of Cathal McShane on 3-49. Anyone got the official source?
    How this kid isn't nailed on for young player of the year instead of Clifford I cannot understand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Seadin

He caused the goal and kicked 2 bad wides. Thats enough to ruin any team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Poor_old_gill

Seadin wrote: »
    He caused the goal and kicked 2 bad wides. Thats enough to ruin any team.

He didn’t cause the goal- merchan still had to run 60 yards. Fenton kicked minimum of one horrendous wide yesterday- if we are talking about midfielders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,489 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Felt the Super 8's have failed to excite both of the years they have been played. There has been a sense of inevitability about most games in them with only the odd one like Mayo/Donegal having a sense of excitement about them.

Unfortunately, there is still too wide a gap between many teams and the rest which leads to games playing out exactly as expected if not being near whitewash outcomes.

Agree that the group format, (or some version) will likely stay but personally, I'm not convinced.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭C__MC

Remember the leinster final
    Dublin hammered meath and it was considered a battling Meath performance
    LOL

Dublin had equally tougher games in 2018
    Tyrone away
    Galway in the semi
    Tyrone in the first 20

Bar from the 55th minute to 64minute in the drawn game, where Dublin ever in trouble?

Kerry done well but there s and c is years off yet
    They wilted after 45 yesterday?

C__MC wrote: »
    Remember the leinster final
    Dublin hammered meath and it was considered a battling Meath performance
    LOL

Dublin had equally tougher games in 2018
    Tyrone away
    Galway in the semi
    Tyrone in the first 20

Bar from the 55th minute to 64minute in the drawn game, where Dublin ever in trouble?

Kerry done well but there s and c is years off yet
    They wilted after 45 yesterday?

Every team wants to beat Dublin, not suggesting there are games that teams are happy to lose but I think most teams aim to bring their A game to those matches.

They could very easily have lost at least two of their 5 recent finals (which they didn't) but I think they are at best 2:1 for next years final whereas this year they were strong odds on.

Could actually see them getting stung in Super 8's if they were in a particularly strong group.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Kumejima wrote: »
    Anyone have the final tally on championship top scorer?
    Seems to me that its Sean O Shea on 1-63 ahead of Cathal McShane on 3-49. Anyone got the official source?
    How this kid isn't nailed on for young player of the year instead of Clifford I cannot understand.

https://billhillwicklow.com/list/all-ireland-senior-football-championship-top-scorers-table-2019/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,208 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

Every team wants to beat Dublin, not suggesting there are games that teams are happy to lose but I think most teams aim to bring their A game to those matches.

They could very easily have lost at least two of their 5 recent finals (which they didn't) but I think they are at best 2:1 for next years final whereas this year they were strong odds on.

Could actually see them getting stung in Super 8's if they were in a particularly strong group.

They are 4-7 to win next year with the bookmakers. They are a shorter price (11-4) to win the next three than Kerry were to win yesterday (7-2).

Kerry have a very talented team and they will likely win one at some stage but they’re a long ways off the depth Dublin have.

Don’t think there’s anyone close to those two.

Expect Mayo to be in transition for a bit, they will still be competitive generally but can’t see them being back in an All Ireland final for a few years.

Donegal were maybe a bit unlucky with injuries but they still seem very reliant on Michael Murphy who isn’t getting any younger.

Galway have some talented footballers but I am a long way from being convinced that they could be a genuine threat.

Tyrone are very average, a system that makes them difficult but a youthful Kerry ultimately put them away with relative ease and Dublin could have beaten them by 15 last year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sk9

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Still think they should be scrapping Provincials. Play them out early in the year in place of some of those pre league tournaments.

League as is with promotion and relegation.

All Ireland should adopt Round Robin style then knock out. 8 groups of 4. Everyone's gets a home match, away and a neutral that's in one of the big stadia. Should do away with the lads waiting 4 weeks for a game and back door system. Open draw too could throw up lopsided groups but be great entertainment.

ClanofLams wrote: »
    They are 4-7 to win next year with the bookmakers. They are a shorter price (11-4) to win the next three than Kerry were to win yesterday (7-2).

Kerry have a very talented team and they will likely win one at some stage but they’re a long ways off the depth Dublin have.

Don’t think there’s anyone close to those two.

Expect Mayo to be in transition for a bit, they will still be competitive generally but can’t see them being back in an All Ireland final for a few years.

Donegal were maybe a bit unlucky with injuries but they still seem very reliant on Michael Murphy who isn’t getting any younger.

Galway have some talented footballers but I am a long way from being convinced that they could be a genuine threat.

Tyrone are very average, a system that makes them difficult but a youthful Kerry ultimately put them away with relative ease and Dublin could have beaten them by 15 last year.

I disagree with the odds but can understand them being such on the day after winning a 5th.

I do agree on the absence of what you would think are teams to stand a good chance of beating them right now but it's not unreasonable to think that if things clicked for Donegal, Mayo, Tyrone, Kerry and even Cork now that they could get very close.

Galway are perennially frustrating. They can look so good at times and with underage teams and then they just disappoint at senior level and act like it's no big deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Seadin

He didn’t cause the goal- merchan still had to run 60 yards. Fenton kicked minimum of one horrendous wide yesterday- if we are talking about midfielders

He palmed the ball down to merchan who took off like a motorbike and pretty much finished the game for Kerry with that goal. Kerry could not close the gap after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

Weepsie wrote: »
    Still think they should be scrapping Provincials. Play them out early in the year in place of some of those pre league tournaments.

League as is with promotion and relegation.

All Ireland should adopt Round Robin style then knock out. 8 groups of 4. Everyone's gets a home match, away and a neutral that's in one of the big stadia. Should do away with the lads waiting 4 weeks for a game and back door system. Open draw too could throw up lopsided groups but be great entertainment.

Or at least find a middle ground. The minor championship has a group stage for the provincial championships except Ulster. Dublin will still dominate in Leinster but at the other teams will get more games in the summer. The pundits will love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

I'm just going to do a quickish review focusing on Galway.

We went in to 2019 cautiously optimistic as 2018 had been a good year overall. Even though people were worried that the team had gone as far as it could playing a safety first style of football there was still hope that adding Molloy and McDaid to the half back line would make Galway more dangerous offensively while Silke being available should make them better at the back. Then the injury news started filtering through and by the time the league was about to kick off hopes of reaching the final again had been replaced by fears of relegation with the opening round fixture against Cavan looking a do or die fixture. A home win raised spirits which were then crushed by a Dublin a week later in a match resulting in even more additions to the sick list.

After that the league was mostly positive with Antaine O Laoi and John Daly being impressive newcomers while the return of Danny Cummins helped make up for Damien Comers continued absence. It culminated with a very impressive first half display against Tyrone which left the team on the verge of an unlikely return the league final. What followed was septic. One of the worst halves we witnessed under Walsh saw Tyrone run out easy winners in the end. Still the squad looked deeper and we'd be much improved for the championship once those injuries cleared up....

Two workmanlike performances by patched together lineups saw Galway back in a Connacht final against a Roscommon side learning how to defend properly with Anthony Cunningham at the helm while Cox added attacking power. At half time things were looking good again as Galway eased their way into a five point half time lead and in control of the match. Another second half from hell followed and the outnumbered Galway fans left our home patch thoroughly disillusioned.

Then we finished the year by losing to Mayo. No need to say more. :mad:

Positives
    -Retaining Division 1 status with so many players missing
    -Beating Mayo on a miserable night in the league
    -Peter Cooke. His first half against Mayo in Limerick was top drawer stuff
    -Antaine O Laoi and John Dalys emergence during the league

Negatives
    -The second half collapses against Roscommon and Tyrone.
    -The end of our winning streak against Mayo
    -The messing with goalies
    -Sean Andy went back a lot this year
    -Never seeing our best 15 on the pitch at full fitness. People might argue about what the best 15 might be but theres no doubt we never saw Galway at 100% this year.
    -The pitiful crowds

Overall Rating
    D purely based on avoiding relegation

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

I thought Galway were getting places. That like other teams who made it into top tier, including Dublin, that they'd sorted out defensive issues and become difficult to beat, and were ready to take another step up.

Hasn't worked, and bit too much of blaming the manager who might have been given another year. Mayo game was interesting as it was in the balance, and might have changed their year.

Avoiding the drop is crucial as Division On will be really tight next year. Meath back in the mix and likely championship winners sussing one another out.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

I disagree with the odds but can understand them being such on the day after winning a 5th.

I do agree on the absence of what you would think are teams to stand a good chance of beating them right now but it's not unreasonable to think that if things clicked for Donegal, Mayo, Tyrone, Kerry and even Cork now that they could get very close.

Galway are perennially frustrating. They can look so good at times and with underage teams and then they just disappoint at senior level and act like it's no big deal.

Galway, Mayo, Meath, Kildare, Cork, Kerry, Tyrone Armagh Donegal all have the financial backing home and abroad to challenge Dublin.
    However the present Dublin lads have their heads screwed on and no media ****e like they had before with Ray Cosgrave dressed as James Bond etc.

Edgware wrote: »
    Galway, Mayo, Meath, Kildare, Cork, Kerry, Tyrone Armagh Donegal all have the financial backing home and abroad to challenge Dublin.
    However the present Dublin lads have their heads screwed on and no media ****e like they had before with Ray Cosgrave dressed as James Bond etc.

I'm not sure if financial backing alone is sufficient. The Dubs didn't just appear overnight as a best in class outfit, they had ramped it up over several years before they reached the top level they now occupy.

Also, I know Mayo still have issues with lads based in Dublin and so too some of the other counties which impact on their training.

The sheer numbers available to Dublin should always mean that they have an All Ireland capable squad even if they do not get their every year. Unfortunately, not the case in all the other counties.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

I thought it poor enough overall and very predictable. The League is more enjoyable. Too much handpassing once again. Super 8s have to go. Just too many games that aren't knockout with that extra intensity. Over fussy referees blowing every 5 seconds. Club football is almost a different sport.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,370 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

From Meath's perspective, it was a good championship which followed an excellent league campaign. At the start of the season, there were three aims for us: promotion in the league, making a Leinster final and making the super 8s. All three were achieved. While we didn't take any big scalps, the only teams to beat us in 2019 were Dublin, Kerry, Mayo and Donegal (x 3).

The first game against Offaly was a bit too close for comfort but we easily accounted for Carlow and Laois. In the Dublin game, our defence was excellent which made it all the more frustrating that our forwards had a complete no-show. Regardless, pretty much every Meath fan had the Dublin game written off before the ball was even thrown in. The main thing was the round 4 game. No Leinster final loser had won their next qualifying game since Kildare in 2009. We probably got the easiest draw we could have in drawing Clare, but they are a pretty decent team, that's why I didn't care how we won.

In the super 8s themselves, all three games were remarkably similar. Against Donegal and Mayo, we were ahead well into the second half before the wheels came off in the last 10 - 15 minutes and we ended up on the end of a rather harsh scoreline, in my opinion. Against Kerry, we were there or thereabouts but, again, Kerry showed their class in the end. Not sure if our collapses were physical or mental or a bit of both but that'll definitely need to be addressed before next season.

Overall, a good season for us which resulted in McEntee deservedly getting a new 3 year term. Colm Nally being brought in as a coach was widely regarded as being one of the main reasons behind our improvement. Our defence is as good as it has been for a long time and I wouldn't be surprised if the likes of Keogan or McGill got themselves an All Star nomination. Still a lot of issues to be worked on for next season. Our goalkeeper has been an issue for a number of years now and we would often give away several scores each game thanks to poor kickouts. That hasn't changed and we'll be crucified in division 1 next season if it continues. Our midfield is poor as well. Menton has been good but finding a partner for him has proven impossible.

So a bit of optimism from Meath fans after this season. The unfortunate thing is that regardless of how much we realistically improve over the next few seasons, we're not getting anywhere close to Dublin, and therefore not getting anywhere close to silverware.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭Mokuba

Super 8's are a failed concept. Just like Leinster has turned into a queue of teams awaiting their hammering by Dublin, the Super 8's is the same thing now.

It also throws up meaningless games and for what? So you can see a Mayo v Donegal game that might have been played anyway under the old format?

I do laugh when people try to say there are weaknesses with Dublin. Try to convince themselves that maybe next year it'll be competitive. When Dublin had 15 men on the pitch they were far superior to Kerry.

10 in a row up next. Dublin are too far ahead and have their infrastructure in place from the crazy funding.

Biggest embarrassment of the whole thing is the refereeing. 0 consistency. Every referee has a dramatically different interpretation to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭TrueGael

No matter how many times this rameis is thrown out there , it isn't going to fool anybody

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭Fan of Netflix

Armagh are not a team I would associate with big financial backing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 322 ✭✭SJW Lover

TrueGael wrote: »
    No matter how many times this rameis is thrown out there , it isn't going to fool anybody

Almost choked on my tea reading that. The delusion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭Always_Running

Teams that will be happy with their years work.

Dublin obviously, at a good consistent level and never once dropped their standard over the last 5 years.

Kerry once they will get over the disappointment of losing All Ireland they should be well pleased with the progress they made from last years quarter final exit

Teams that should be pleased enough

Mayo, recovered well for unexpected Connacht exit to reach AI semi final a big improvement from last years round 3 exit to Kildare

Roscommon, improvement from 2018, won Connacht beating Galway and Mayo away and won their first super 8 game or be it it was a dead rubber.

Meath, reached a Lenister final and were competitive in all 3 super 8 games for the first 50 minutes. Need to improve their bench options and S&C to progress further.

Teams left some what disappointed

Tyrone regressed this year
    Donegal again didn't reach the last four when i'm sure it was their objective

Teams that was left very disappointed

Galway a big drop from reaching last years AI semi
    Monaghan same as Galway, a big high then followed a big low
    Kildare unable to build on last years quarter final place

Top 16 counties that don't know if they are coming or going.

Cavan,Fermanagh,Armagh,Cork,Tipp

Games of the year in no particular order.

Dublin v Kerry (Drawn All Ireland final)
    Tyrone v Kerry
    Cork v Tyrone
    Kerry v Donegal
    Mayo v Armagh
    Armagh v Cavan (drawn game)
    Down v Armagh
    Kerry v Cork
    Mayo v Roscommon
    Longford v Kildare (drawn game)

^^^^^^

I'd say Cork would be very pleased with their year given where they started from and the upcoming underage teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Teams that will be happy with their years work.

Dublin obviously, at a good consistent level and never once dropped their standard over the last 5 years.

Kerry once they will get over the disappointment of losing All Ireland they should be well pleased with the progress they made from last years quarter final exit

Teams that should be pleased enough

Mayo, recovered well for unexpected Connacht exit to reach AI semi final a big improvement from last years round 3 exit to Kildare

Roscommon, improvement from 2018, won Connacht beating Galway and Mayo away and won their first super 8 game or be it it was a dead rubber.

Meath, reached a Lenister final and were competitive in all 3 super 8 games for the first 50 minutes. Need to improve their bench options and S&C to progress further.

Teams left some what disappointed

Tyrone regressed this year
    Donegal again didn't reach the last four when i'm sure it was their objective

Teams that was left very disappointed

Galway a big drop from reaching last years AI semi
    Monaghan same as Galway, a big high then followed a big low
    Kildare unable to build on last years quarter final place

Top 16 counties that don't know if they are coming or going.

Cavan,Fermanagh,Armagh,Cork,Tipp

Games of the year in no particular order.

Dublin v Kerry (Drawn All Ireland final)
    Tyrone v Kerry
    Cork v Tyrone
    Kerry v Donegal
    Mayo v Armagh
    Armagh v Cavan (drawn game)
    Down v Armagh
    Kerry v Cork
    Mayo v Roscommon
    Longford v Kildare (drawn game)

Enjoyed

Mayo v Donegal

Mayo V Galway

Dublin v Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

A lot will depend on how Cork use their time in Division Three, They have to get promotion but within that parameter will have plenty of scope to try out new things. Bring in some of the younger fellas, Perfect place to hone an aggressive attacking strategy which seems to be where they are anyway. Watch that space I would suggest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,026 ✭✭✭C__MC

seligehgit wrote: »
    Enjoyed

Mayo v Donegal

Mayo V Galway

Dublin v Cork

I enjoyed cavan v armagh

Advertisement