Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

RTE announces Classic Glenroe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

That was actually very controversial at the time. You could see it going in and everything.

Bloody sheets. Purple faces

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

Bloody sheets. Purple faces

<snipped>

MOD: Too much detail, we don't need that type of smut in here!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,384 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Mena Mitty wrote: »
    Think Dick was the first in Glenroe to drive a Gold Granada Ghia.

He also used it to roide Mary in the back seat down some quiet boreen....while her poor ol' husband waiting at home for her, sat by the fire supping his cocoa wondering if she checked in the Bingo.

The old man was often left sitting on his armchair, after the fire had gone out.....well after midnight until Mary came home. He needed Mary to pull off his longjohns and socks and put on his pyjama's for him....such are the duties of a devoted wife.

I don’t remember Dick and mary before they were married? Assumed later alright she had a previous relationship seen as Dick wasn’t Biddys father. Whole new insight I never knew

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Remember Tessy? behind the counter in the pub she had a double chin that always wobbled when she spoke was in a relationship with Dinny lol?

Teasy McDaid- Maureen Toal, fantastic actress and great warm character in Glenroe. Well ahead of her time in terms of social views and compassion too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

Gel roe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,832 ✭✭✭s8n

The whole Sunday dread thing with Glenroe is quite frankly overdone at this stage, can we all just give it a rest !!

I’m terms of bringing it back, it’s a great idea. Solid show and if it’s a success then may spawn a new generation

Miley is dead in real life and Fidelma is 30 years older - just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

road_high wrote: »
    I don’t remember Dick and mary before they were married? Assumed later alright she had a previous relationship seen as Dick wasn’t Biddys father. Whole new insight I never knew

He had a wife called Ruth.
    They divorced and he married Mary in Rome.

It was a bit of a grey area legally as was the style at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,421 ✭✭✭ToddyDoody

They love Glenroe in D4.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

The ha'penny version of Ballykissangel.

This is one for the 'Things the Brits do better than the Irish' thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

padd b1975 wrote: »

I think there were photos of them in their wedding outfits in the RTE Guide at the time.

He had two adult sons from his first marriage but I can't remember if they were in it very often. One of the sons is married to the bould Terry Killeen in real life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Wake me up for the reboot of Bracken, then we'll talk.

Bracken
    12 x 50 minute episodes. All intact. Ideal for a DVD release by Network
    But RTE know best and keep it rotting on the shelves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

Never heard tell of Bracken.

1980 & 1982
    Starred Gabriel Byrne
    Dinny and Miley were also in it - it was a precursor to Glenroe and a follow-on from The Riordans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Was the prequel to Glenroe I think had a few cast members and a farming vibe Gabriel Byrne was in it. Never watched an episode of it because I to young back then was it 1980s?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

<snipped>

MOD: Too much detail, we don't need that type of smut in here!

Christ alive, just noticed that this was 'snipped'!

Welcome to After Hours, where it's perfectly acceptable for a coprophilic weirdo to vividly describe the minutiae of a colleague's bowel movement, but a tasteful description of septuagenarian love is somehow beyond the pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

RTE really is now utterly pathetic pretence of public broadcasting. Liquidate the entire operation and give tg4 twice it's current budget to so it can run both an Irish and English language station.

🙈🙉🙊

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

1980 & 1982
    Starred Gabriel Byrne
    Dinny and Miley were also in it - it was a precursor to Glenroe and a follow-on from The Riordans.

1980 ya that explains it Riordan's must have been 1960s remember clips in B+W.

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    1980 ya that explains it Riordan's must have been 1960s remember clips in B+W.

The Riordans ran from 1965-1979. In colour from 1975 onwards.

• Advertisement

The Riordans ran from 1965-1979. In colour from 1975 onwards.

I think it continued on the radio for a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,720 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

DarTipp wrote: »
    George (English country posh guy) going missing birdwatching in brazil/south America

George was in the 'RA?

I think it continued on the radio for a while.

Yeah, was revived in the early 80s I think. Short 15 minute episodes. Not great/

Well you couldn’t legally divorce in Ireland until 1996! Unless he was married and divorced abroad.

I think there were photos of them in their wedding outfits in the RTE Guide at the time.

He had two adult sons from his first marriage but I can't remember if they were in it very often. One of the sons is married to the bould Terry Killeen in real life.

One was a solicitor and in it fairly regularly

Sons were Paul and Matt

road_high wrote: »
    Well you couldn’t legally divorce in Ireland until 1996! Unless he was married and divorced abroad.

He divorced in England I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Three years on and no sign of this RTE Gold channel, I'd actually watch that. I've zero interest in most of RTEs current output.

Staying on the subject of Glenroe, over the weekend I was watching an episode of the Irish R.M series one on TG4, originally broadcast I think in January 1983. In a courtroom scene Joe Lynch (Dinny), Mick Lally (Miley) and Robert Carrickford (Stephen Brennan) all appeared together.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,870 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

Yes, there was a rape storyline involving him. Think he went on to murder his brother or the other way around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Fallout2022

Advertisement