Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Castlevania: Grimoire of Souls

• 12-09-2019 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,442 ✭✭✭✭

New Castlevania? Check.
    Konami? Check.
    2D? Check.
    Multiple playable characters? Check.
    Nice (but unspectacular) graphics? Check.
    Multiple modes (including co-op)? Check.

..... mobile only? Check. :(

Maybe it'll make the jump to Switch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,812 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Touch controls, no thanks

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 2,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rob2D

Mr E wrote: »
    Konami? Check.

Well, there's your problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Konami with their finger on the pulse of what gamers want yet again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Whats the problem, don't you all have mobile phones? :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Mobile game? First obvious question is whether this is some kind of "pay to win" shovelware, with timed rewards / currency bullsh*t.

• Advertisement

pixelburp wrote: »
    Mobile game? First obvious question is whether this is some kind of "pay to win" shovelware, with timed rewards / currency bullsh*t.

Its Konami so most likely it will be. That's generally the only reason a company will take a well established IP and build a mobile game around it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yup, pretty much what I was wondering. Konami have devolved into shovelware / pachinko makers, so I'm sceptical this game is on the up & up.

Still sore & bitter after "Command & Conquer: Rivals", even if that wasn't Konami.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Are mobile games not significantly more popular in Japan than consoles games??
    I thought it was heading that way for like a decade. This being Konami reminds me of this video I seen about the themes of PT & how Kojima lost power in his last few years in the company; with the brief assist from the performance of a mobile game as he was making the FOX engine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,764 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

What is a Castlevania game? A miserable pile of reused assets!
    ERG89 wrote: »
    Are mobile games not significantly more popular in Japan than consoles games??
    I thought it was heading that way for like a decade. This being Konami reminds me of this video I seen about the themes of PT & how Kojima lost power in his last few years in the company; with the brief assist from the performance of a mobile game as he was making the FOX engine.

Massive in Japan and far outstripping revenue from home console. Switch is doing well but it's far eclipsed by mobile. Home console on the other hand is effectively dead which is why Japanese games for just the Japanese market cater more and more for the otaku geek crowd with anime influences and gratuitous fan service.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I suppose purists will like Kojima and his art but Konami saying "Fúck that" has obviously worked for them...

u5f6jga9zkx21.png

• Advertisement

J. Marston wrote: »
    I suppose purists will like Kojima and his art but Konami saying "Fúck that" has obviously worked for them...

u5f6jga9zkx21.png

Im a fan of Kojima but he does seem like a lad with notions, getting famous actors to play characters in his games and such. David Hayter was a perfectly good Snake, didnt need Keifer Sutherland to mumble 20 minutes of dialogue that Hayter would have done for a fraction of the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

J. Marston wrote: »

u5f6jga9zkx21.png

You might be on to something if Konami were strictly a game developer now but they make their money from sports facilities, pachi & gaming machines & other activity businesses.
    They release PES but their major licences Silent Hill, Metal Gear Solid, Contra & Castlevania have mainly been unused since Kojima left so changing their development approach from "art" is not the reason they are successful, its pretty clear its them catering to Japanese lifestyles rather than actual game development.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,101 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

You'd wonder why they're even persisting with PES anymore. It must be getting trounced every year in sales compared to Fifa.

God be with the days of PES 2-6. Castolo dragging me to promotion in Master League before discarding him in favour of a fancy new striker.

Advertisement