Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Now ye're talking - to a puppeteer

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20 WingnutRecords

Have you ever worked with Lambert's? What was it like?

Haven't had the pleasure unfortunately.

Some day though, perhaps soon .... at a festival in Dun Laoghaire ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Tommy Richard Fingers

Hi Ray,
    What techniques you use to give unique personality to your puppets? (Do you ever say switch arms for a particular puppet to give it totally different movement profile?)
    Thanks
    TDF

• Registered Users Posts: 20 WingnutRecords

Hi Ray,
    What techniques you use to give unique personality to your puppets? (Do you ever say switch arms for a particular puppet to give it totally different movement profile?)
    Thanks
    TDF

Woah that's a brilliant question there, Tommy!!

I guess what I do is I spent a good bit of time 'walking through' my characters. This tends to give you keys or 'ways in' to the physicality. Walking through will teach you funny things like physical or verbal ticks; like ear scratches or exclamations or they way they might lean or drum their fingers.

Once you have a few of these, hopefully the rest will fall into place.

But the most important thing is to just spend time with it on the end of your arm. in the mirror or in the monitor.

I should get all cosmic now and say, Let the puppet teach YOU how to use it, maaaaaaan!

Thanks, great question!

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

This was short and sweet - thanks for taking the time to do this Ray! And thanks to everyone for their questions :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement