Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

GAA Commentators

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭blowitupref

It is being reported that Brolly has finished with RTE.

Remember this? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOt_LVpaam0

On his appointment as RTE's new head of sport last year, Declan McBennett said he wouldn't tolerate 'personal attacks' from pundits.

Joe Brolly had this to say in a recent interview.

"Declan McBennett raised the Marty Morrissey thing when he took over head of sport and he was right to be pissed off about it. "If Declan had been head of sport then, I'd probably have been gone. Declan's not a pushover, nor should he be.''

If he's gone now like its reported elsewhere, then it means Mr Brolly while understanding the situation he didn't heed the warning from the new head of sport.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭boosabum

Don't see why this is such an issue TBH

Eamon O hara went on a rant about how Sligo were managed one night on the Sunday game and he was gone

Shane Curran did the same with respect to New york or London not winning games and he was gone

Surprised he lasted this long. This will test his true market value to see who picks him up.

Sky - no chance
    TG4 - no chance
    Eir for league games - maybe
    BBC NI for ulster football -maybe

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

O'Hara was on telly at least a year after that rant, he shows up on Radio One a fair bit now, haven't even heard Curran on the likes of Off the Ball or Second Captains for a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Brolly has stopped being someone whose analysis or columns you'd seek out. He stuck to a routine and now it's become a rut where you can predict what he is going to say after a match even before a ball has been kicked. Hardly a good quality in a pundit. Rochford managed Corofin to an All-Ireland title but the odds are we'll hear less about them on Saturday than we would have if Brolly was still on the panel. Some will try and paint Brolly going as a reaction to what he said about Gough but he has just gotten stale. A good kick up the backside might be what's needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭Always_Running

grbear wrote: »
    Brolly has stopped being someone whose analysis or columns you'd seek out. He stuck to a routine and now it's become a rut where you can predict what he is going to say after a match even before a ball has been kicked. Hardly a good quality in a pundit. Rochford managed Corofin to an All-Ireland title but the odds are we'll hear less about them on Saturday than we would have if Brolly was still on the panel. Some will try and paint Brolly going as a reaction to what he said about Gough but he has just gotten stale. A good kick up the backside might be what's needed.

Yes Brolly routine on RTÉ and on his indo articles is a gimmick long since worn out. Brolly will milk this exit for what it's worth and the attention seeker as he is will love that is name is trending on social media.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,427 ✭✭✭jackboy

Rochford is not really an improvement though. In Rochford and Whelan there are now two boring bland pundits with nothing to say. They should have just slotted in Tomás O’Shea whose analyses is excellent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭99problems1

So is it confirmed?

Wouldn't surprise me if he got some kind of gig with the Dubs

RTE probably aren't happy about him bad mouthing competitors about how people shouldn't have to pay to watch matches on sky.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,078 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

Eamon Dunphy has rowed in behind Brolly. The two pantomime villains.
    And Ger Loughanane seems to think Brolly deserves the kick up the ass.

https://hoganstand.com/Article/Index/303844

Another shyte stirrer backing him up says it all.

They long since gave up analysing games and just trotted out the same old shyte.
    Now and then they manage to get something right, but more often than not are just like the caricatures of themselves.
    Might as well get lads from Apres Match or Oliver Callan in altogether.

Also Whelan should be gone as well because he looked like he wanted to join in Brolly's meltdown for some reason.

Making Spillane look like the level headed one is some achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,621 ✭✭✭Nidgeweasel

Do you think this Dublin team would have the like of him anywhere near it?

He would offer absolutely nothing to a serious set up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Treble double

Brolly and Dunphy have one thing in common they love the sound of their own voices. Both can be entertaining but when it came to proper analysis both were found wanting. Dunphy more so than Brolly. I always felt that Dunphy's theatrics were to hide the fact he was a woefully poor analyist.
    Brolly has a bit to offer in that department, but I think analysing doesn't satisfy his ego and he has to make outlandish statements for the attention it garners.
    We will manage away grand without them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

So is it confirmed?

RTE probably aren't happy about him bad mouthing competitors about how people shouldn't have to pay to watch matches on sky.

Gig with Dubs?? Like what :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭manofwisdom

Wouldn't surprise me if he got some kind of gig with the Dubs .

A gig with a load of songs about his love Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,652 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Is the protest from the dubs still ongoing outside croke Park?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 45,535 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Disgraceful if true. Hope he goes to Sky.

'It is better to walk alone in the right direction than follow the herd walking in the wrong direction.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭PressRun

This is the thing. A lot of people seem to be under the impression that he was let go because of what he said during the final, but his card has been marked for a while now. The half-time comments during the final were pretty ridiculous even by his own standards and I wouldn't be surprised if he'd had a couple of scoops before the broadcast, but he's made plenty of poor comments regarding players and management teams down through the years that haven't endeared him to a lot of people.

Mainly, for me, his whole act has just gotten very boring. He has nothing meaningful to actually say about the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭snowgal

yea I agree fully. He gone completely stale and predictable. You can generally see the other lads beside him, more or less either laughing at his pitiful analysis or roll eyes at anything he says. Im sure alot of them would be glad to see the back of him now....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Pure ego driven Bullsh1t....... It says a lot about RTE and their sport coverage when all the talk this week is about who's in the corporate box, and not who's playing in the game.

RTE have gotten away for the over 20 years with shoddy, trolling 'analysis' of sport, from George Hook, Dunphy, an earlier incarnation of Spillane, and more recently Brolly.

They are just there to stoke controversy, and add more heat than light to any debate.

snowgal wrote: »
    Gig with Dubs?? Like what :confused:

Like A MUSIC GIG, obviously. Him and Aslan and Bernard Dunne, belting out Bagatelle's famous hit while the haters cry into their porridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

Im not a fan of Brolly, but he was entertaining and said what he thought. Brolly being fired is setting a precedent that i don't like in the Irish Media... It follows on from Hook who i didn't like either but should not have been fired. Its fake ass safe PC bull**** imo.

people saying good riddance are actually arguing for boring as **** TV

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

Im not a fan of Brolly, but he was entertaining and said what he thought. Brolly being fired is setting a precedent that i don't like in the Irish Media... It follows on from Hook who i didn't like either but should not have been fired. Its fake ass safe PC bull**** imo.

What did he say that was politically incorrect?

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭boosabum

He was factually incorrect on the big calls and also cast dispersion over the integrity of the referee.

In summary, he was bad on analysis on the day

He's not an RTE employee so he hasn't been fired

• Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭ArnoldJRimmer

Can you please explain to me whats entertaining about a grown man picking a soundbite thats generally nonsense, but against popular opinion (oooh, how controversial) and then repeating it over and over again, talking over everyone else in the studio

If for some reason I miss his antics in future, I'll just go and give my five year old nephew a big bag of skittles to get exactly the same result

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

I'm all for entertaining and amusing analysis, but Brolly provided neither. Axing him is one of the better decisions RTE have made recently.

Advertisement