Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Half Marathon to Full

• 10-09-2019 4:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hey Guys,

I know everys running is different but just looking for advice on stepping up from half marathon to full marathon.

I've been running regularly (probably twice a week on average for the last year) with one long and one short a week. I have done a few half marathons this year and finished them reasonably comfortably. Have always wanted to do a full marathon and an opportunity to take my friends entry to Dublin in 6-7 weeks has come up as he is injured.

What sort of training could I do in this time to get some level of prep for it? Or would it be not advised? Finishing time would not be a concern and I'd even be happy to walk/run a portion of the 2nd half for sure if needs.

Also on the Dublin website, they say tickets can't be transferred, but I assume this is like other events and you can just take someones place easy enough?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭Glencarraig

Hey Guys,

I know everys running is different but just looking for advice on stepping up from half marathon to full marathon.

I've been running regularly (probably twice a week on average for the last year) with one long and one short a week. I have done a few half marathons this year and finished them reasonably comfortably. Have always wanted to do a full marathon and an opportunity to take my friends entry to Dublin in 6-7 weeks has come up as he is injured.

What sort of training could I do in this time to get some level of prep for it? Or would it be not advised? Finishing time would not be a concern and I'd even be happy to walk/run a portion of the 2nd half for sure if needs.

Also on the Dublin website, they say tickets can't be transferred, but I assume this is like other events and you can just take someones place easy enough?

Thanks

"Just taking" someone's place sounds like a great idea, unless you are a race organiser. Have you thought the affect this has on the results, possibly messing up the age category placings not to mention what would happen if you, registered as somebody else suffered a medical emergency. Would you like to receive a call from a hospital if you were the parent/partner of that runner who's number you would be wearing. "Just taking" another number is irresponsible, that's why it is not allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

"Just taking" someone's place sounds like a great idea, unless you are a race organiser. Have you thought the affect this has on the results, possibly messing up the age category placings not to mention what would happen if you, registered as somebody else suffered a medical emergency. Would you like to receive a call from a hospital if you were the parent/partner of that runner who's number you would be wearing. "Just taking" another number is irresponsible, that's why it is not allowed.

there's always one buzzkill

ps you write your emergency contact details on the back of your race number

• Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

there's always one buzzkill

ps you write your emergency contact details on the back of your race number

It is not allowed in almost any race I've ever entered. Go figure.

As for the OP, the only thing for certain is that you'll be doing some walking in the second half. Probably a good bit. 6/7 weeks isn't enough to build up the strength for 42.2k off a 2-run-a-week base.

Now THAT'S a buzzkill!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,605 ✭✭✭ultrapercy

Hey Guys,

Thanks

Why dont you wait untill next year, enter yourself and prepare properly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

ultrapercy wrote: »
    Why dont you wait untill next year, enter yourself and prepare properly?

Absolutely agree. It will be so worth the wait. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 irishuser2222

Yeah as stated you can write emergency details on your race bib which is the most likely place someone would look. Also as mentioned it would be a friend's entry so can easily communicate to their emergency contact ahead of time.

I would also look to do next year. I just would like to give it a go this year when already with a base fitness ahead of the winter where I will realistically focus more on gym work.

So I'm obviously fully understanding that 6/7 weeks is not enough to excel and run a full comfortably from a half marathon base. However just wondering has anyone any tips for maybe getting to 30 - 35 odd kilometers and I could try a walk/run strategy also which is quite effective if you keep to it for the end of it. If anyone has been in a similar position I would appreciate any tips. Would be prepared to do 3-4 runs per week in prep. TO this point I typically do 2 a week and 2-3 gym sessions per week.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭6run28

Run a half marathon this evening or tomorrow so you can gauge where you are at. How long is your current long run?

Typically around 21 km. Did the dingle half last weekend with no major issues.

Thats a good half marathon. If you are going to do it there are 6 weekends left for a longer run - something like this 15m , 18m, 10m, 20m, 12m, 6m . Get a few shorter runs in during the week. Good diet will help. You will be short mileage though so will be a tough last 6 miles on the day. Best of luck if you do it

Thanks alot, That looks achievable. For keeping the legs moving during week what distance would you recommend. 2 runs at maybe 5-7 km?

I'm fully aware I'd probbably have to manage the 2nd half smartly and walk elements of it but it sounds like a good plan. Have you done anything like it by any chance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,011 ✭✭✭Itziger

To be honest, running 5, 6 or 7kms isn't going to do much more than act as a kind of recovery. If you could do a 10 mile run some day, flanked by the shorter ones - so a total if 4 runs a week - then i think that would help. It's all kind of damage limitation really. Although a good friend of mine ran a few marathons off 2 runs a week, I wouldn't recommend it. And he did 'em in respectable times for a 50 something year old. Think his best was 3.45 in Dublin a few years ago.

Thanks alot, That looks achievable. For keeping the legs moving during week what distance would you recommend. 2 runs at maybe 5-7 km?

I'm fully aware I'd probbably have to manage the 2nd half smartly and walk elements of it but it sounds like a good plan. Have you done anything like it by any chance?

Ive run races overtrained, undertrained and certainly too close together but it being your first marathon it will be extra tough. 5-7kms is too short mid week, you could push 1 up 11-12km and see how you go. It'll be challenge but thats the fun of running right!?

Advertisement