Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Face/Off Remake

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

Why bother. The original wasn't all that great to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭Bacchus

TinCool wrote: »

This time it's a male/female face/off and will delve into deep metaphysical questions about gender identity.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Surely for nothing to be sacred, there must be something sacred in the first place ;)

Face/Off was rubbish, bolstered by two scenery chewers on cocaine, and John Woo before his career completely flatlined. 90s nostalgia trawling is kicking into gear, so any remake can only hope to improve

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Face/Off is nonsense, but it does boast one of the most magnificently unhinged openings in Hollywood history. Rest of it, as off-the-wall as it is, has nothing on the symphonic anarchy of that prologue.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,139 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

How do you recast this

AcidicGrandioseKinglet-size_restricted.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,469 ✭✭✭brevity

I hate to see you go, but I love to watch you leave

• Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Face/Off is great movie, totally over the top in concept and performance. Hugely entertaining.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Face/Off was fairly memorable for what it was. But I don't think it bothers me them rebooting it.

I had a much more negative reaction when I heard they were rebooting Point Break, for example. And rightly so as it turned out.

face/off, like so much else of cage's work, transcends whatever the director, screenwriter, other cast or audience might have had in mind.

it is magnificent.

I loved it as a 10 year old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,726 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

face/off, like so much else of cage's work, transcends whatever the director, screenwriter, other cast or audience might have had in mind.

it is magnificent.

I agree about Cage - he appears in a lot of crap but he's nearly always worth watching. Face/Off though also has a great director and an equally entertaining, scenery-chewing performance from Travolta.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

The only way this will be good is if David Cronenburg directs it. Which he won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,460 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Its gonna be a gender-genital swap, the leads are going to realize the futility of gender constructs, then fall in love with the person their funbits were grafted too before deciding that their bits are a lock that only their own Mickey can unlock...

Then in the aftermath of that genderfluid fluid swapping session...
    Life!
    Will find a way!

Segueing into a series of sequels and a whole new franchise ;)

Is how I think this will go down :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I can't get my head around people slating face off, it is a stone cold classic.

Nic Cage went straight from the set of Con Air to the set of Face Off the next morning, what a time to be alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I can't get my head around people slating face off, it is a stone cold classic.

Nic Cage went straight from the set of Con Air to the set of Face Off the next morning, what a time to be alive.

In oxford English dictionary under the word "fun" reads: See "Con Air" and "Face off" for reference.

I was working in Xtra Vision at the time of these two gems being released. . Absolutely glorious movies. I pity the fool that cant enjoy Cyrus "make a move and the bunny gets it" virus, Cameron "Im gonna save the f**kin day" Poe or Castor "I can eat a peach for hours" Troy tearing up the screen. . Special mention for Garland "there is no medicine for what I have" Green . .

Even just quoting the movies I want to watch them over the next week. Not many modern movies I would get as excited about a re-watch.

I'm convinced he only ever signed up to movies if he could come up with his own character's name.....
    Caster Troy
    Memphis Rains
    Cameron Poe
    Stanley Goodspeed

banie01 wrote: »
    Its gonna be a gender-genital swap, the leads are going to realize the futility of gender constructs, then fall in love with the person their funbits were grafted too before deciding that their bits are a lock that only their own Mickey can unlock...

Life!
    Will find a way!

I'd love that. People would lose their **** over the whole gender identity thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

One of my favourite films just absolute ****e :D

I can't see two actors alive today capturing the chemistry between Travolta and Cage, no one could repeat the performance of Pollux Troy. Leave these types of films alone they're cult classics for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,073 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

I'm convinced he only ever signed up to movies if he could come up with his own character's name.....
    Caster Troy
    Memphis Rains
    Cameron Poe
    Stanley Goodspeed

Castor and Pollux were the names of the twin brothers of Helen of Troy that's where the weird as **** names of these two came from. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

This really doesn't bother,l me, Face/Off is f*cking weird. Fun but everyone involved was clearly high. I saw someone on Twitter suggest Jamie Foxx and Will Smith which I think would work really well with Foxx in the Travolta role and Smith in the Cage role. I think it was test Smith's acting in was y he hasn't been tested before (or at least in a very long time).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,344 ✭✭✭Homelander

Caster Troy
    Memphis Rains
    Cameron Poe
    Stanley Goodspeed

Only Steven Seagal can challenge him in the 'absurd names' category. Some choice selects:

Paulie Trunks
    Elijah Kane
    Robert 'Bobby' Samuels
    Jonathan Cold
    Simon Ballister
    Harlan Banks
    Sasha Petrosevitch
    Forrest Taft
    Mason Storm

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

you abject bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

banie01 wrote: »

Life!
    Will find a way!

Excellent stuff.

It should star Sigourney Weaver

A DVD extra featurette explaining the make-up process could be titled;

"How Sigourney Weaver Swapped Her Beaver"

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I don’t want a remake but In a hypothetical scenario James Mcevoy and Taylor Kitsch.. Both can do comedy and action, Mcevoy can do anything to be fair (see split).

• Registered Users Posts: 60,278 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Helen Mirren & Judi Dench Face Off.

Meryl Streep & Glenn Close Face Off.

Angelina Jolie & Jennifer Aniston Face Off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,510 ✭✭✭Wheety

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Needless to say, I think this remake is a stupid idea.

But like I say for all these remakes, why not just make a different film with a different name and have a similar plot. Can just be inspired by Face/Off.
    Like Vice Versa is clearly a similar movie to Freaky Friday and The Hangover is clearly inspired by Dude, Where's My Car. :)
    Then how many action movies have been similar in plot?

It'll be made as a comedy with Melissa McCarthy and Sandra Bullock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

Face/Off was (is) a genuine classic of the 90's. It's even better due to it being such an unlikely hit. Nicolas Cage and John Travolta are absolutely terrible actors and the plot is borderline lunacy.

Having said that both of them are great in this and they make it work.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

If you didn't love face off we could never be friends. I'm a big John Woo and 90's action flick fan so it was always a winner in my eyes. Seemingly the script was written for Stallone/Arnie but neither wanted to "loose/die" at the end so it was moved on. Would never have been the same, Oliver Stone couldn't even match how OTT the whole thing is.

As for a remake, meh I don't really buy into the hate for remakes. You can get it right like IT (Chapter 1 anyway), Alright like Lion King or miss the mark like Ghost Busters. all options don't add or take away from the original.

Having said all that, you couldn't possibly play the film straight or Gritty so who could you cast? Not many actors couls pull off this kinda stuff these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,720 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Face/off was absolutely riddiculous which is why it is was so much fun, Travolta and cage made it work

Advertisement