Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ring road accident at Williamson roundabout going east

• 09-09-2019 5:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Traveller and trap hit by car going east, in the traveller camp side of dual carriageway. Horse down. Huge tailback developing, turn off at airport road roundabout.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

It was only a matter of time before this happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Traveller and trap hit by car going east, in the traveller camp side of dual carriageway. Horse down. Huge tailback developing, turn off at airport road roundabout.

Did you just assume their ethnicity!?! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Are you trying to make a point that I'm missing?

Horse and trap, a few hundred metres from Travellers camp, they've been very busy on the RR for some weeks now annoying traffic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭deise08

Oh dear god. Hopefully everyone OK. I see how some drivers treat them, zipping in right in front of them. No respect for the animal, no regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

deise08 wrote: »
    Oh dear god. Hopefully everyone OK. I see how some drivers treat them, zipping in right in front of them. No respect for the animal, no regard.

Are you talking about people driving cars or the travellers who have no respect for anyone including the horse they are racing up a main road at rush hour on a Monday?

Hopefully everyone human and equine are ok,will be interesting to see if anything comes from this regarding bylaws from the council.

• Advertisement

I have passed a young lad who looked to be about 13 or 14 and a little boy of about 5 on one of those a couple of times recently. Just the two of them. My heart was in my mouth watching. Nothing to keep them safe. I really hope no children were harmed. Feel awful for the horse.

Also had an incident at the lights there at bilberry where a man and a very young child were on one and the pony was very distressed, bucking around. The man had to get off to try to calm the pony and left the little child on the trap with the whole thing shaking around and oncoming traffic passing. Was very hard to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

I have passed a young lad who looked to be about 13 or 14 and a little boy of about 5 on one of those a couple of times recently. Just the two of them. My heart was in my mouth watching. Nothing to keep them safe. I really hope no children were harmed. Feel awful for the horse.

Also had an incident at the lights there at bilberry where a man and a very young child were on one and the pony was very distressed, bucking around. The man had to get off to try to calm the pony and left the little child on the trap with the whole thing shaking around and oncoming traffic passing. Was very hard to watch.

I would think a lot of that traffic was due to the ongoing bord gas works close to the fearonsooneen roundabout. They had the lanes reduced to single entry and exit this pm. I passed that area this pm about the times being reported and saw no sign of any incident/accident

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well I saw something, a car immediately pulled in at the bus stop space on the opposite lanes and the driver rushed across the road. There was no traffic in front of the incident scene it was all piling up behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,215 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Hey now... Tis their culture to be on the ponies ….

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Registered Users Posts: 16 fenfoz

I was stuck in the traffic due to the roadworks at the solas centre and saw the horse run past me dragging the sulky on its side. The poor horse run up on the foot path and collapsed. The horse looked seriously malnourished, I rang animal welfare but I'm not sure if they can do anything. It was lucky the road was filtered down to one lane due to the roadworks or the horse would have ran straight into traffic.

If it's part of your culture to race sulkies then do it responsibly and look after the horses. If not animal welfare should take away the horses, that was horrible to see the poor creature collapsed on the ground like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

I was in the traffic too. A little later. I saw a boy about 15 running down towards the halting site, whipping the horse trotting alongside. The sulky had one wheel bent inwards, but seemed to move ok. Both looked none the worse thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭Azatadine

It's the same carry on up by Carrickpherrish halting site. Sulkies racing up and down the road like a scene from Ben Hur. Ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

All the Waterford council have to do is ban the sulkies from the outer ring road like they do in Limerick!

They have no sulky signs on the roads up there.

This would solve a lot of the problems then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Seen a man on one with a kid no older than three. No safety gear on any of them and he was also on his phone.

Whats wrong with these 'people'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

reni10 wrote: »
    All the Waterford council have to do is ban the sulkies from the outer ring road like they do in Limerick!

They have no sulky signs on the roads up there.

This would solve a lot of the problems then!

Are a few signs and a bye-law going to make a whole lot of difference....? Don’t think so unless enforcement is applied

Advertisement