Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Due December 2019

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43 LittleMissLogic

Any mum-to-be feeling not very maternal ?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭cnlbel

i definitely didnt at the beginning of the pregnancy. i still dont feel crazy maternal but more excited as the time goes on.

@LittleMissLogic I don't feel much connection to this baby at all yet. I'm not particularly excited about having a new baby. Most of the time, I sort of forget it's happening. Sometimes I get worried about the lack of excitement (my sister in law is expecting around the same time and she is like a giddy schoolgirl whenever it comes up so I feel very unenthusiastic by comparison) but I'm sure I'll be smitten as soon as baby makes an appearance.

That makes me really happy to hear. I am really worried about that not happening. I'm really putting it all on black that when the baby come, my maternal instinct kicks in and I'll suddenly love babies. Mostly I'm just worried about the changes it will have on my relationship with my husband. At the moment, we are all about eachother and pretty laid back and care free. I know that having a baby is stressful and reportedly puts a lot of strain on a relationship. Does anyone else here share their concerns over their relationships?

That makes me really happy to hear. I am really worried about that not happening. I'm really putting it all on black that when the baby come, my maternal instinct kicks in and I'll suddenly love babies. Mostly I'm just worried about the changes it will have on my relationship with my husband. At the moment, we are all about eachother and pretty laid back and care free. I know that having a baby is stressful and reportedly puts a lot of strain on a relationship. Does anyone else here share their concerns over their relationships?

I already have kids but I'm not looking forward to the stresses of having a newborn (lack of sleep, especially). I know I'll be irritable. My experience of having kids is that it turns up the intensity of life, rather than changes the balance of things. The good times are so much better but the bad times are worse. And you can fit so many highs and lows into each day! Same for your relationship (in my experience, of course): you'll feel so much closer in some moments, because you've created this little person together and you're embarking on this great adventure together, but you may also discover new areas of disagreement/irritation.

I think it's a good idea to find ways to have time just the two of you, once the baby's a few months old. I wasn't good at that the first few years and I found that changing that had a big positive effect. If you're both working and baby's in creche, a lunch date is a great way to get child-free time together.

• Advertisement

So we've had our scan, and all good. We're at 21 + 4
    It seems like there's nothing to do now, but to start to buy things.

Anyone for a game of hungry hungry hippos?

anyone have the whopping cough vaccine yet? any side effects from it?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭shhling

I'm due to have it tomorrow. Have been advised to have that vaccine but I'm really not sure about the flu vaccine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

shhling wrote: »
    I'm due to have it tomorrow. Have been advised to have that vaccine but I'm really not sure about the flu vaccine.

My wife and I will definitely be getting the flu vaccine.We both work in health services. Fairly strong flu in southern hemisphere at the moment which is predicted to hit us fairly badly later this year during the flu season

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭AlwaysDoe

I haven't had the flu or whooping cough vaccines yet but had both during last pregnancy and will definitely be having them again. I can't remember having had any side effects last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,235 ✭✭✭✭fits

AlwaysDoe wrote: »
    I haven't had the flu or whooping cough vaccines yet but had both during last pregnancy and will definitely be having them again. I can't remember having had any side effects last time.

Congratulations! Another December baby?!

fits wrote: »
    Congratulations! Another December baby?!

Thank you! Yes, although my first came slightly early and was born at the end of November. Due Christmas Day this year!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Westfest

My wife is due Christmas Day also!

Westfest wrote: »
    My wife is due Christmas Day also!

Apparently only 5% of babies arrive on their due date so chances are neither of us will actually have a Christmas Day baby!!

How is everyone feeling?? Have you all had your 20ish week scan? Mine is next week, I'll be 23 weeks. My bump has popped in the last fortnight into an unmistakable pregnancy tummy, up till then I think it looked questionably like a bit of extra weight! I feel as though the weeks are flying by.

I had my scan at 20 weeks. I'm now 24+4 and I'm not sure when my next appointment is supposed to be.
    Can anyone tell me what the schedule is supposed to look like?

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭New farmers wife

I had my scan at 20 weeks. I'm now 24+4 and I'm not sure when my next appointment is supposed to be.

I think mine was gp at 20 and 24 weeks then hospital 28, 34 weeks with gp in between.

My next hospital appointment is at 28 weeks, they booked it in for me at my last appointment but I think they still send out a letter the week before. Then as far as i remember from last time, there's an appointment at 30 weeks with gp, 32 with hospital and so on every second week until baby arrives. Could be different depending on what hospital you're with though.

I had 20 week and then back in at 24 which i was surprised at. going to GP and then back to hosp at 28. only really going to GP to get my whopping cough vaccine. hospital always gives me new date at the end of each app.

Lads I've had a wee fall. It was on Saturday - and I've felt kicking since then.
    The majority of my friends tell me it's fine because I landed on my arse.
    One friend though thinks I should try and see my GP.
    Any thoughts?

• Advertisement

No harm in nipping into GP if you have the time!

Did you call your hospital? I had was worried about something over the weekend and they brought me in to the labor ward and checked me and baby out no bother. It's worth it for the peace of mind.

12 weeks to go today, and collected a lot of baby stuff from the in-laws at the weekend.
    Starting to feel more real now.
    Seriously wishing my life away though. If I could skip to the start of November, I would.

Worried about the Trimester 3 fatigue that my wife is going to experience. Trimester 2 has been unreal :D

Had our ante natal class at weekend. lots of info and a bit overwhelming but overall was good. feel more prepared now about the actual birth (still terrified). trying now to decide what co-sleeper to go-im in between the snuzpod and next2me.

cnlbel wrote: »
    Had our ante natal class at weekend. lots of info and a bit overwhelming but overall was good. feel more prepared now about the actual birth (still terrified). trying now to decide what co-sleeper to go-im in between the snuzpod and next2me.

I had the next2me with our first and really liked it... will be using it again for sure. I would really recommend reading Ina May Gaskin's Guide to Childbirth for giving you a confidence boost for the birth! I also find the gentlebirth app and Facebook page useful.

My wife is at 30 weeks today, and has just started to show signs of the tiredness kicking back in.
    Being down to single figure weeks makes it really exciting. Need to start doing whatever I need to do to get Paternity leave at work

How's everyone getting on? We must all be officially in the third trimester by now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

cuddle wrote: »
    How's everyone getting on? We must all be officially in the third trimester by now!

All grand. Getting extra exciting now.
    We've been slowly putting the nursery together over the lsft while and it's all coming together well. Almost have everything now.

beginning to struggle in work again-get so tired after lunch. id like to be able to take afternoon naps rather than deal with work!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭Evil_g

Hi folks. Greetings from the February thread.

My wife is 19 weeks along. She's with the Domino scheme in the Coombe and all going well so far.

She's just been given an appointment for a three hour "preliminary antenatal class" in a few weeks time.

She (well we, but mostly she) are pretty good at reading up on what to do and expect, and we're planning to attend a full day antenatal course organised by the Coombe in January.

She'd prefer not to have to take time off work for this preliminary class in a few weeks time, but she's wondering whether she should.

Have any of you attended one? Did you find it valuable, or is it the sort of thing we can learn ourselves?

Thanks in advance.

Advertisement