Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hustlers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Stars Jennifer Lopez, getting a lot of publicity on celebrity entertainment sites and stars the classy Cardi B. Guaranteed scutter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Mr. Arkadin

Ipso wrote: »
    Stars Jennifer Lopez, getting a lot of publicity on celebrity entertainment sites and stars the classy Cardi B. Guaranteed scutter.

I thought the same when I saw the trailer but the reviews that are trickling out have really surprised me.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,910 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Ipso wrote: »

Given her past the film is not a Cardi B biopic :p also Oscar talk for JLo

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭El Duda

Looks alright actually

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

Whats a CardiB?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

Predictably the film appears to be a shambles of “men are bad and the women drugging them and then robbing them are the victims”.

Awful, mediocre cast of vacuous weapons for the most part. Lopez is an absolute dose of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Predictably the film appears to be a shambles of “men are bad and the women drugging them and then robbing them are the victims”.

Awful, mediocre cast of vacuous weapons for the most part. Lopez is an absolute dose of the highest order.
    Maybe see it then decide for yourself?

I actually think Lopez is really good in the right film, she is excellent in out of sight

• Registered Users Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭DavidLyons_

gmisk wrote: »

I actually think Lopez is really good in the right film, she is excellent in out of sight
    Do you never look at a cast or trailer for a film and decide that it won’t be for you? Or do you watch absolutely everything- just in case?

This looks awful to me. Story and, especially, cast. I know I just couldn’t sit through it.

Are you serious about Out Of Sight? That was over 20 years ago. Good fcuk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,250 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Oceans women =bad
    Female ghost busters = bad
    This film = bad

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Hobosan

Twitch THOT's manage this without the need for drugging people. Far more ethical.

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Orderofchaos

Apparently inspiring to the next generation of ladies. Role models galore in the movie it seems. Hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

From the trailer it looks absolutely sh*t.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭santana75

Its definitely a #metoo type of movie, and as has been the case so far with these kinds of film(Ghostbusters, oceans 8)it just doesnt work. For a film that is loaded with nudity its actually the most unsexy movie I've ever seen. Theres not one likeable or even relatable character in the entire thing. Id heard oscar buzz about J-lo's performance......dont believe the hype. Its very much painting the women as victims and not people who are morally bankrupt(which they are). I cant wait for this thing to blow itself out in hollywood so we can get back to real film making and forget about agendas.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Funny, smart film enlivened by some exceptional performances. Lopez is deservedly getting much of the attention, and it is indeed a magnificently charismatic performance from her. Great to see any capable actor getting that sort of role after years of weak material. Costance Wu is also excellent, capturing her character's mix of confidence and unease with skill.

The film itself does a good job of tackling the morally thorny story - sassy and lively when needed, but without shying away from the increasingly sinister things these women are doing. It does an impressive job of largely sticking to their perspective while slowly giving us hints of the damage they're doing, before definitively underlining it later in the film. These are women caught up in a cruel, destructive, exploitative system - but their actions also had cruel, destructive, exploitative impacts. It achieves that balance while also being funny (
    the sight gag of Wu and Lopez asleep on the kitchen floor is a killer
    ) and a lovely little study of the genuine friendship between the two main characters.

If it struggles anywhere it's that it lacks the stylistic oomph of a Magic Mike or Ocean's 11 (two Soderbergh comparisons, oddly, but then again this is the first time since one of his film's that Lopez has knocked it out of the park). Lorene Scafaria's film has its moments - a weaponised use of Fiona Apple, of all choices, or the repeated shot of the 'sisters' approaching their prey - but structurally and stylistically can feel a little too familiar (things like the voiceover / framing device are overused in this sort of true crime caper). But as a character and relationship study, one set against the ever-present impact of a catastrophic financial crisis, it's a good one with some superb performances.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

gmisk wrote: »

She was great in Out of Sight, I'll be interested in checking this out based on the reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I thought this was really good, the performances are all great and the story was told in a way that kept me interested. I think Lopez was really good in it but it's not a typical Oscar winning performance. For those expecting this to be either a sexy or a degrading to women film though, it's not. It's about strippers but it's not about stripping. Jennifer Lopez gets a striptease scene but the audience is watching from Destiny's perspective and not from a horny man's perspective. I really enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

:eek: Is this a wind up? I'll not quote any of you above praising this garbage, but surely you're messing.

Seen it recently and we had to hold in the laughing it was that atrocious. Many 'serious' scenes were met with laughter breaking out all around us too, so wasn't just us.

So many of the scenes that try to be sexy or erotic, fail abysmally.

In some scenes J-Lo holds her own acting wise, but in other scenes it's almost as if she's trying not to laugh herself.
    The scenes with J-lo and her daughter were really poor, acting wise, and the two had zero chemistry. It felt like watching a read through. She hugs her at one point and it's so damn awkward. The scenes between all the strippers was so forced also.

As for the story, it's a pretty decent one, but to say it was poorly executed would be a gross understatement. I've seen a few of Scafaria's films and liked them too but she tries too hard here...
    I'd say Scorsese has solid grounds for suing the director also as she totally ripped as much from Goodfellas as she possibly could ... the way scenes were shot, the freeze framing, the voiceover, the arrests. Even the thick wads of cash being handed to her grandmother....... ah man, it's just too damn obvious.

Shocked that anyone liked this, let alone thought it was in anyway decent.

However, I do recommend it as a film for a group to go and see given that it's so bad, you'll enjoy that aspect of it at least.
    There weren't even any real boobs. Three pairs of fake tits in a film about strippers. Even more to be disappointed in.

So many of the scenes that try to be sexy or erotic, fail abysmally.

They're not trying to be sexy. The scenes are shown from the perspective of the strippers and for them, it's a job. "Drain the clock, not the cock". This is not a Michael Bay film that leers at its female characters, even if they are strippers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

FunLover18 wrote: »
    They're not trying to be sexy. The scenes are shown from the perspective of the strippers and for them, it's a job. "Drain the clock, not the cock". This is not a Michael Bay film that leers at its female characters, even if they are strippers.

Oh come on, fair enough, some of the dance scenes weren't shot with the goal of being either erotic or sexy, that's true (and they were crap too by the way, not remotely well executed) but not every dance scene was shot in that way, many were absolutely designed to titillate.....
    J-Lo's initial dance sequence for example, where the light dips, we see her silhouette and then get a 3-4 min dance sequence..... and then that cringe line as she walks off stage "Doesn't money make you horny?".

Plus all the slow mo shots of them in other dance scenes, like the one where they slowly undress one another. It's even shot from behind in parts where we don't even see their faces and so that could hardly be trying to do anything else.
    Meant to add also, that so many of the interviewing reporters lines just didn't work, especially that line about how she doesn't feel sorry for the guys, just felt so clunky. Awful dialogue overall.

Oh come on, fair enough, some of the dance scenes weren't shot with the goal of being either erotic or sexy, that's true (and they were crap too by the way, not remotely well executed) but not every dance scene was shot in that way, many were absolutely designed to titillate.....
    J-Lo's initial dance sequence for example, where the light dips, we see her silhouette and then get a 3-4 min dance sequence..... and then that cringe line as she walks off stage "Doesn't money make you horny?".

Plus all the slow mo shots of them in other dance scenes, like the one where they slowly undress one another. It's even shot from behind in parts where we don't even see their faces and so that could hardly be trying to do anything else.
    Meant to add also, that so many of the interviewing reporters lines just didn't work, especially that line about how she doesn't feel sorry for the guys, just felt so clunky. Awful dialogue overall.

I disagree.
    At the time of Ramona's entrance, Destiny is still only starting out and we see her struggling she's awkward and lacks confidence. Ramona is the complete opposite, she's the headline act, she's at the top of her game and she oozes confidence. For me, that sequence was far more about establishing Ramona as a strong, confident character who Detsiny would look up to. As for the other scenes you mention, again I watched them as two women practising their craft. Throughout we saw close-up of their faces and could they weren't enjoying it, not in a sexual sense. Their were working their marks, it was about demonstrating their ability to get as much money as possible.

I'm not to argue about the dialogue because whilst it may not be great and it is clunky at times, I didn't really notice because I was enjoying it so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Went in with expectations on the floor.

Was pleasantly surprised. Hammy and cliched, but very watchable and funny in parts.

I watched this last night. Really well made and enjoyable. It lacked something though, maybe there was too much narration and not enough story 'on screen'?

In the same vein as Aaron Sorkin's 'Molly's Game'.

RTE 1 airing tonight at 9.30pm

Advertisement